PDA

View Full Version : Melting Down old Computer boards for lead

astroskg
05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
question has any one melted down any old computer boards for the lead in the solder?
i know allot of the old computer stuff from years ago used lead solder now it mostly lead free but could this possibly work?

possibly even skim off some of the gold?

i honestly don't know if this would work or even be worth the time and effort just know WW's and other lead salvaging is getting scarce .....

wiljen
05-24-2011, 01:28 PM
1.) the amount of lead per board is so small you'd best be shooting .17s if you wish to cast much.

2.) The amount of toxic **** you would dump into the air you are breathing is substantial.

leadman
05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Don't think the gold would melt at the temperatures we use. Lead free solder contains mostly tin and antimony, sometimes others things like copper so is actually more desireable than the old solder.
Would take a bunch of computer boards to reclaim enough to make a difference though.

fryboy
05-24-2011, 01:55 PM
it's been awhile but i recall seeing an add somewhere where they were paying $10 per pound for the boards ... the lead/tin value is significantly less than that leaving me to believe in part it was for the gold and various other metals/elements , BTW ? it takes a few boards to equal a pound

astroskg
05-24-2011, 02:25 PM
thanks for the input had a few brain cells working this morning (well maybe not working it was BC (before coffee)) and this idea hit my head work on computers daily and throw away hundreds of boards a month . knew it would take hundreds of boards just for enough metal for casting but wondered about the Tin and Antimony in the solder if added to pure lead might make it usable ....

like i said had a few Brain cells working

thanks again this is a great Site

jsizemore
05-25-2011, 07:26 PM
The local green movement wanted folks to drive to their electronics reclaimation center to keep the 2 lbs of lead contained in a computer from going in the landfill. Of course there were other nasties in there. They had a pretty good turnout on the TV news. Lots of SUV's and minivans in the summer heat idling with the windows up and the A/C running full blast. Lots of good enviornmental consciousness goin' on.

390ish
05-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I think it would still be a good idea to hoard the boards.

Defcon-One
05-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Save them, sell them as scrap, it is the GOLD that they really want at $1,500+/ounce!

I saw something once saying that it takes around a half a ton of boards to get a ounce of Gold. They do a controlled temperature burn and the metals collect in the bottom. Then they refine them all out of the clump.

blackbike
09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Low out put, and it stink real bad too. trust me on that one.

10 ga
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Besides the tin, antimony and gold there are several other "rare earth" metals used in the boards. They are in cell phones, computers, kindles, ipad, mpgs, etc... any of the new electronic gear. CHINA is the principal supplier and has most of the known deposits of the "rare earth" metals used. They maintain a very strict and controlled flow of the product. The current effort of gathering the "rare earth" metals through recycling etc... is known as "urban mining". The Chinese control of the "rare earth" metals used in computers and electronics is considered to be a serious security issue. The EU considers urban mining to be a very important part of their electronics industry. My $.02. 10 ga

09-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Save them, sell them as scrap, it is the GOLD that they really want at $1,500+/ounce!

I saw something once saying that it takes around a half a ton of boards to get a ounce of Gold. They do a controlled temperature burn and the metals collect in the bottom. Then they refine them all out of the clump.

Correct. Then the burnt material is run through a ball mill which crushes everything to an ash. This ash is further refined to reclaim the metals.

Clinebo
09-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I remembered this post from a thread on another forum I'm on. The guy has a computer repair business. He posted this pic of gold he saves from the "edge connectors"? Not sure how much weight would be there once melted down,but it looks impressive in a pile!

cbrick
09-13-2011, 01:16 PM
It's the gold mostly. A good friend before he retired had a computer sales/repair store, pretty large place and he saved all of his old boards, hundreds of them a month. He sold them to a company that recylcled the gold and other precious metals. Don't know an exact dollar amount but from what he said he made out pretty well doing this. There is more on those old boards than you might think but for lead or tin for casting? Dunno but I think considering the amount of work involved and the quantity needed for a reasonable quantity there would be far more profitable ways to get your tin.

Rick

Beagler
09-13-2011, 01:53 PM
I think there are kits out there to aid in gettin the gold off the boards