PDA

View Full Version : Home made bread.

Von Gruff
05-24-2011, 01:08 AM
I make my own bread the old fashioned way and have just finished two batches and put ten loaves in the freezer. This will keep us going for nearly two weeks.

For my baking I use an old enamel camping cup for my measure and it holds 12 fl ozs or 1 1/2 cups tiped into a measuring jug.

First I boil the jug and put two cups of boiling water in a pyrex jug and add two desert spoons of sugar then two big desert spoons of blackstrap molasas followed by two cups of cold water. This is the right temperature so I can add the two heaped desert spoons of bread yeast.

While waiting for that to begin working (about 15min) I put into a bucket ( mine are 8 litre paint buckets, well cleaned of course)
8 cups of plain flour
2 cups of wholemeal flour
2 cups of wheat bran flakes
2 teaspoons salt.

When the yeast has worked so there is 1/2 froth on top I put it into the flour and add 1/4 cup of oil. I use ricebran but olive or sunflour etc will do.

Mix well and turn out onto board. I use a 3ft 6in by 2ft 6in of shower walling, and a small g clamp to hold it to the bench.
The mix is still lots of dry flour and a very wet part but mix as well as you can in the bucket then knead on the board till all combined and not sticking to board. should be a good 5-10 minutes.

Return to bucket and cover with damp cloth to rise. aprox 11/2 - 2 hours.

Turn back onto board and knead down, cut into five and put into buttered tins.
Allow to rise for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours, ( or doubled in size, then put into oven at 200 degrees C for 35 minutes.

When I start the water, blackstrap, yeast going I note the time and 35 minutes later I start another lot going. This takes into account the 35 minutes of cook time so I can do multiple mixes on the same day to make use of the oven heat without wasting the 15 minutes of preheat time - electricity.

On ocasions I will add 2 cups of sultanas at the boiling water stage and use cane syrup instead of the blackstrap and add one desert spoon of ground mixed spice and 2 desert spoons of cinamon to the flour and make a batch of fruit loaf.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/009-3.jpg

Von Gruff.