PDA

View Full Version : Old lyman 450 Lube/sizer ???

Russ in WY
05-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Picked this on up @ local Gun Store here in Cheyenne Sat , From an Estate sale . Now I already have a 450 bought new in approx 1970. Linkage is held together with 1- nut & bolt & 2-pins with washer & small cotter-pins. [My org-1] However the 450 I just purchased has identical linkage , 1-nut & bolt , 2-pins ,but no washers & cotter-pins. In fact the pins don't even have the holes -4-the cotter-pins. They are the exact same length, 2". it had some very hard Black lube it it , had to use heat gun to even get anything to move on it . The Red grip on handle has [Model-B] both units , but some different molded Mfg address & Pat numbers . Just wondering if anyone else has ever seen one like this with no way to retain the pins in there place.
Think I will get the Lyman update kit for the pressure screw . Tks Russ...

GP100man
05-24-2011, 04:58 AM
There`s also an update kit for replacing the bicycle grip linkage , it looks like the newer 4500 linkage.

I`ve seen pics of 450s that looked as if they did`nt have pins !

Ausglock
05-24-2011, 05:25 AM
G'day.
The pins on my 450 have spring washers that are a push fit on the pins. They have to be pushed back on every 1/2 hour or so as they have a habit of working their way off the pins and falling under the bench. I'm going to drill the pins and fit split pins.

I'd love to find out where I can get the 450 update kit from.

Thanks.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-24-2011, 07:21 AM
I might have some of those pins to sell cheap or trade...
I'll get back to you this evening.
Jon

ronbo
05-24-2011, 08:00 AM
A full service hardware store will have replacement pins, ones side of the pin is enlarged, no washer needed the other side has a hole for a cotter pin and washer.

GP100man
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Ausglock

Here`s a pic of 1 of mine converted & the kit#.

Link to Lyman

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/home/

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0564.jpg

:lovebooli

Russ in WY
05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
What was the cost of that ??? Do-u recall .. That part # isn't listed that I saw on there website ... Think I will just go with the other Pressure screw Kit update .. I don't use a Hvy lube & usually have a bit of heat to start with .. Tks for the Pic ... Russ.

Ausglock
05-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Thanks, GP100man.

I had a look at the lyman site, But they don't have the upgrade kit listed anywhere.
Might have to email them and ask.

Russ. Just read your email.
Thanks, Mate. I'll ring Lyman in the morning with the part number and see how I go.

7am Australia is about 3:30pm US time (roughly)

GP100man
05-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Yeah , it`s not listed , I guess they try to sell new sizers instead of update kits ??

Can`t remember exactly but under $20.00 U.S.

Seems $17.65 comes to mind , but it has been a couple yrs. since the last 1.

+ shippin !!! Ausglock , that could be more than the merchandise for you !!!!

Ausglock
05-26-2011, 06:28 AM
GP100man. Yeah. Shipping costs knock it around a bit. But with the Aussie Dollar buying 1.07 US dollars, It makes buying direct from the US good.
It is a shame that a lot of US companies will not ship to Australia.

I'm lucky that Lee & Lyman do.
A lot of eBay sellers will, but a lot will not.

I needed a new front sight for my Kimber 1911. Kimber will not ship outside USA, so I had to setup a US mailbox and have it shipped to there then reshipped to Australia. Double shipping cost, But at least I got the part I needed.

Some things that sell in the US for $50 will cost 3 times that much from sellers in Australia. With Import, Freight, Markup charges, Buying from the US is very attractive.

GP100man
05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
More than 1 way to skin a cat , even if it is long distance !!!