PDA

View Full Version : 22 scope rings dovetail

Wayne Smith
05-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I need some ideas from the machinests amoung us. I have a set of .22 scope rings that are just a tad (maybe less than 1/64") too tight to fit on a rifle. The bottom ring is solid, with a boss on the bottom with the dovetail, and a slot cut almost to the bottom of the ring for relief. I'm guessing someone tightened them down way hard at some point.

My question is; how do I open the dovetail just a tad without damaging the lips? I'm pretty well equipped with wood working tools but very short on machine tools. I don't have a reverse clamp and my vice is way too big. I don't have a wedge that short. That's about as far as I've gotten thinking about this. I suppose I could take them to a machine shop but I'm way too stubborn!

They have no name or identifying marks on them. They clamp with a slotted screw and close on the scope with torx headed screws.

JMtoolman
05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Wayne, just use a wedge in the slot to open up the bottom of the rings. A screwdriver might work. John the toolman.

Gunfixer
05-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Can you post a pic of the ring and base?

shotman
05-24-2011, 01:46 AM
At the cost of 22 rings you would be better off trashing them. you may never get them to work right and then will blame the scope or gun

Wayne Smith
05-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Wayne, just use a wedge in the slot to open up the bottom of the rings. A screwdriver might work. John the toolman.

John, I thought of that, but I don't have a screwdriver that gets that fat that quickly. The slot is only approx 0.16" deep x 0.07" wide (eyeballed caliper measure).

Shotman, I have just the gun to put them on and no, I won't blame the gun!

cajun shooter
05-24-2011, 09:22 AM
If the rings are steel then try a chisel instead of a screwdriver as they become thick very fast. If they are still not correct then some filing may be needed. I will also say that a good set of 22 rings may be purchased for under $30 which may be your best choice. If they fit but apply the pressure at the wrong point then the scope will not be true. Lay two pencils in the mounts and see if the tips touch.

Wayne Smith
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Good idea! I have a couple of sacrifical chisels laying around. Some that aren't, too, of course. I'd rather invest some time and play with it than spend the money. It isn't critical that I scope this rifle, It is the one my brother and I learned to shoot with, a Sears single shot bolt action that resets the safety every time the bolt is opened. Great for teaching Boy Scouts.

jsizemore
05-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Are you trying to put 3/8" rings on a 11mm dovetail grooved receiver? That would be american rings on a European made rifle like CZ, Brno, Anschutz, etc. Some of the medium to high aluminum rings will open enough to fit the 11mm dovetail. Steel is no fun and mostly no go with out an adapter or alteration.

Wayne Smith
05-29-2011, 08:20 AM
This is a Sears single shot .22 bolt from late '50's. Unlikely to be an European make.

JIMinPHX
05-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Could the gun possibly be a .22Mag? They use a slightly larger dovetail than the .22LR does. The rings are not interchangeable.

hiram
05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/

Mk42gunner
06-01-2011, 06:45 AM
I'd try to make a tapered wedge from 1/8" flat stock with the appropriate angles on the edges to keep from deforming the angles on the rings.

Robert

JIMinPHX
06-02-2011, 08:16 PM
My question is; how do I open the dovetail just a tad without damaging the lips? I'm pretty well equipped with wood working tools but very short on machine tools.

Perhaps cut two little pieces of hard wood, that fit between the jaws of the movable female dovetail, then drive a wooden wedge between the two pieces of wood?