PDA

View Full Version : Another WW question

Leadforbrains
12-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Gentlemen,
I am new here, but I have been lurking here trying to absorb as much information as I possibly can. I have aquired a five gallon bucket of wheel weights, and after going through it I have found quite a few that have some sort of coating on them. The coating appears to be some sort of automotive paint that is gray in color. On some of the W-Ws the coating has flaked or chipped off. I have cut one of the W-Ws and what is under the coating appears to be lead.
I would like to know if these are good to go for smelting into ingots for bullet making material, or should I trash them? I don't think they are zinc, but I am not sure as I am new at this. Thanks in advance for the help.

tomf52
12-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Some of the various brands of wheelweights use different coatings, plastic, paint, etc., to prevent corrosion of the weight. I have found all of these burn off in the smelting pot.

Leadforbrains
12-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks tomf52! I appreciate the quick answer. I hope you are having a Merry Christmas.

Shuz
12-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Keep your smelting temperature less than 700deg, and if any zinc weights are in there, they'll float to the top like the clips. Don't worry about the painted lead ones, they'll be fine, just smoke and stink a little more than the just greasy ones!

9.3X62AL
12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
L-4-B--

Dittoes to the above--and welcome aboard.

Hunter
12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I keep a fan blowing across my smelting pot to keep the smell of the plastic and oil burning off away from me. The plastic burning off those w-w has a nasty smell to me.

dragonrider
12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Welcome Leadforbrains, there is no better place having to do with cast bullets, hopefully you will add you own expertise from time to time.
You know people used to call me something similar but using a different four letter word.:mrgreen: