PDA

View Full Version : Smokey .40 loads

shoez
05-22-2011, 11:36 PM
I use 4.2 grains of 231 or HP38 powder and a Lee 175 gr TL SWC. Shoots fine from my Ruger SR40. However, I went to the range yesterday, and they were exceptionally smokey. I mean if you crank off 15 rounds quickly, by round 10, you can't see too well anymore. I haven't shot any since the weather has warmed up, I don't remember the smoke when it was like 50 or 60 out. Any ideas on why and what powder may be better for this?

I'm confused about this, as that is the only powder I use in the 45 auto and don't have that problem or even in the .38 special either. All my bullets are Lee Tumble Lube designs lubed with Xlox.

Doby45
05-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Welcome to Alox lube.. It is known to be smokey..

Bullwolf
05-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Here are a few things you could try.

Try not using a LOT of Alox, with Lee liquid Alox, less is better than more. Alox does have a reputation for being a smokey Boolit lube though. I am generally too lazy to bother wiping the lube off the back of my tumble lubed Boolits, as it sort of defeats the ease and conveniece of tumble lubing in the first place. I did see in the tips section someone who suggested stapling an old sock over a 2x4 to wipe lube off the bases of Boolits.

You could also try thinning the Alox with mineral spirits, it makes it easier to apply, and to get a thin and even coat on the Boolit.

Another good suggestion is to try mixing up a batch of Recluse's 45-45-10 tumble lube. It is basically Alox + Johnson's Paste Wax, cut with mineral spirits.

If you haven't looked yet, check out the sticky. It takes a lot of the mess and hassle out of Tumble Lubing, and I find it is not quite as smokey as straight Alox, and I highly recommend it.

Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free (Sticky)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

If you still are not happy with the quantity of smoke, you can always try pan lubing with a high quality lube, rather than Alox. Or just break down and get a Lubrisizer.

Best of luck to you.

- Bullwolf

geargnasher
05-23-2011, 01:08 AM
+1 Bullwolf. The liquid Alox seems to be smokey in general, not sure why. Worse with some powders than others, and the recipes you mention tend to reduce the smoke some in my experience. I say reduce, not necessarily eliminate it compared to what some conventional lubes will emit, but it depends on the situation.

Gear

noylj
05-23-2011, 01:09 AM
It must have been a really calm day and you either used way too much LLA or you were concentrating on the smoke. I NEVER notice my smoke, I am usually zoned into the target--but as a spectator I noticed the smoke from other's shooting.
If you actually could not see the target (rather than simply not being able to concentrate on the target thinking about the smoke), you really need to use less LLA (you should not even be able to see it on the lubed bullets), try lubing as-cast bullets and load them (in case you are double lubing for sizing), try 45/45/10, try Rooster Jacket (wax emulsion) or JPW thinned with additional mineral spirits, try pan lube or use a Star lubricator with carnauba red or BAC, or buy some Montana Gold jacketed bullets for your high speed shooting.
PS: this is the wrong group, but if you are considering buying plated or jacketed bullets, they are so close in price right now that stocking up with Montana Gold (or Zero or Precision Delta if you want to be on a waiting list) makes a LOT of sense. If I just had the disposal income I had before the last presidential election...

onondaga
05-23-2011, 01:54 AM
I really like both LLA and 45:45:10. Thinning either usually decreases smoke. You gotta expect some smoke with anything containing Alox. If I had to guess, I'd say the main ingredient in Alox comes from the La Brea tar pits in California or a very similar tar. Tar burns with black smoke, tar mixed with a bunch of other stuff to thin it burns with less black smoke. The JPW and Mineral spirits in the 45:45:10 lighten the color of the smoke also.

Gary

XWrench3
05-23-2011, 08:25 AM
yep, using lla, you are going to get smoke. just part of the deal. i have used 6 different powders, it does not change. your options are 1) get used to it, 2) wipe the bottom of every boolit after it has been lubed,3) get a lube / sizer, and use conventional boolit lube, 4) shoot only on windy days, that carries the smoke to one side, or away from you.

shoez
05-23-2011, 07:21 PM
It's not that I'm new to Alox, I've been using it for years, in fact, it is the only lubing method I've ever used. It was a calm day, that may have played a role in it. It just seemed that the .40 was smokier than I'm used to seeing from other calibers. I doubt I take the time to wipe the bottoms of the bullets. I may play with a couple different powders and see if that helps. Thanks.