PDA

View Full Version : Browning HP chambers

Thumbcocker
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I recently got to look at two fairly late model HP's and the both had very nice smooth barrels. Except just in front of each cahmber was an area about 3/8" long that looked like file teeth. This seemed rally odd because the rest of the barrels were so smooth. Wouldn't this play havoc with boolits? Is this common in HP's? Seems odd for a quality pistol to have a feature like this.

fecmech
05-22-2011, 09:31 PM
My BHP barrel had the same thing and it wasn't a problem, my groove was .3575 though so I was sizing .358 for that barrel.

ReloaderFred
05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Browning High Power pistols have a two piece chamber. This may be what you're seeing. The barrel fits into the back half of the chamber. This sometimes produces fired brass with two different diameters in the case wall. It doesn't seem to be a problem, since it's been done that way from the beginning, 1935 or so.

Hope this helps.

Fred

dragonrider
05-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I'll have to look at mine, I never noticed it.

fecmech
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Browning High Power pistols have a two piece chamber. This may be what you're seeing. The barrel fits into the back half of the chamber. This sometimes produces fired brass with two different diameters in the case wall. It doesn't seem to be a problem, since it's been done that way from the beginning, 1935 or so.

Hope this helps.

Fred
What I'm talking about is actually in the rifling itself, looks like tool chatter to me.

Thumbcocker
05-23-2011, 02:07 PM
yup just ahead of the chamber