PDA

View Full Version : Fluxing Stuff

Gtek
05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Melted 600+ this weekend, tried something I picked up a while back. Frankford Casting Flux = YUCK! Several pots to say the least over weekend. Tried at 650, 700, 750F.
Black smearing sticky left on melt edge, sticking all over the tools. No notice of any benefit, back to the cedar shingles and bee's wax. Anybody had any luck with this stuff? Gtek

cbrick
05-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Marvacrap is the same stuff.

Any luck with it? Yep, on two counts, I was highly successful in getting it into the trash can and then bribing the trash collector to take it.

Rick

BrassFever
05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Save beeswax for lube, that stuff is too expensive. I like plain old parafin for flux.

cbrick
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Save beeswax for lube, that stuff is too expensive. I like plain old parafin for flux.

Sawdust will do a much better job of what it is that you want a flux to do and its even cheaper than parafin, its free. Plus it won't gunk up your pot & tools like parafin, wax and oils will.

Rick

gray wolf
05-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Saw dust all the way, it's clean, clean clean.
Did someone say it's free ?

troy_mclure
05-23-2011, 12:50 AM
i use a oak or hickory dowel rod. i can get them for about $.70/each, and each one will last me about 20 casting sessions.

onondaga
05-23-2011, 02:45 AM
About all the paraffin in the world comes from Pennsylvania. Support PA.

Ultra pure torch and liquid candle oil that is 97% paraffin oil or higher comes in nice squirt bottles at Walmart and many other stores. This makes a good fiery reducing flux . Support PA. I am deeply saddened by the extreme poverty in the state neighboring mine that is so oil rich but mired in unfair regulations on drilling, transporting and refining oil.

Gary

songdog53
05-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I have tried it along with Marvelux and found it cause nasty film and cause things to rust so now i use saw dust my wood working buddy gives me by the bag, plus use wood chips from cutting wood with cahinsaw.

dragonrider
05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Sawdust is the only thing I flux with, as a result my casting pot and my smelting pot are clean with NO residual crud stuck to the sides and bottom. Any petroleum related product or waxes, paraffin and such will only make your pot dirty, they do not flux any better than sawdust. Marvelux and such things are hygroscopic, they absorb water and promote rust. I use sawdust by the handful in my smelting pot, toss it in and let it burn to ash BEFORE any stirring, do not attempt to push sawdust below the surface of the melt before it has burned to ash, doing so may result in a tinsel fairy visit. Sawdust is not as dry as you think it is. It does no good as a fluxing agent until it has become ash anyway. It's the carbon not the raw wood that does the trick. I flux the smelting pot two or three times before pouring ingots. As for the casting pot I seldom flux it, except to use a wooden stix to stir it up whenever I add material.

perimedik
05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Has anyone every tried used tumbling media (corn cob or walnut)?
just a thought.
Figured it just gets chucked anyway.
Maybe i'll give it a shot next go around.

troy_mclure
05-28-2011, 01:28 AM
its possible to burn off the lead and mercury(from primers) and inhale the vapor.

bumpo628
05-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Has anyone every tried used tumbling media (corn cob or walnut)?
just a thought.
Figured it just gets chucked anyway.
Maybe i'll give it a shot next go around.

I going to try that next time too. I've been saving it up.

cbrick
05-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Bumpo, read this about tumbling media before you decide to do this.

Safe Handling of Lead and Brass Tumbling Media (http://www.lasc.us/FryxellSafeHandlingLead.htm)

Rick