PDA

View Full Version : Dead Soft question

odinohi
05-22-2011, 06:49 PM
I have some roof flashing, cast joint lead, shower pan, plumbers lead. Would all of this lead be considered "Dead Soft"? Cuts very easily, like butter. What about water line, drain line? It all goes "thump" when dropped on concrete. Need to know how to advertise it in the swappin and sellin. I've got quite a bit, just none smelted at this time. Waiting to advertise until its smelted and packaged. Thanks, Tom

bumpo628
05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Yep, those would all be dead soft lead.
If you have enough, smelt them all separately and describe where they came from in the listing.
For example, "dead soft lead from roof flashing" etc.

gray wolf
05-22-2011, 09:18 PM
and describe where they came from in the listing.
For example, "dead soft lead from roof flashing" etc.

That's the most ethical thing to do, and the proper way to list it.
You will never have an unsatisfied customer.

idahoron
05-22-2011, 10:37 PM
The Joints are a little harder. I have melted pipes by them selfs and they are a little bit harder than 5 BHN I would guess in the 6 to almost 7 range. When I melt in the joints I get a mix that is closer to 9 BHN. When I am doing bullets for Muzzleloader I don't want the joints. I think the joints are solder and that makes the mix a little harder. Ron

odinohi
05-23-2011, 03:18 AM
Thats how I'm gonna list it. Possibly even get the scrapyard to shoot a sample from each batch. Thanks again, Tom

Bob Krack
05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
I use a lot of scrap plumber and roofer lead and in both cases the joints are much harder (relatively speaking). I cut the pipe - small diameter - with loping shears, medium sizes with tin snips and the large sizes with a hatchet/axe/hammer-chisel.

Doing specific gravity tests tells me the "field" lead is 99.2-99.6% Lead with the soldered joints being any where from 93% to 80% Lead - I assume the balance is mostly Tin.

Hope this helps.

Bob

odinohi
06-01-2011, 04:35 AM
I havent smelted any of my water and drain pipe yet. I did cut the joints out though. Kinda been waiting to get more water pipe before smelting. I'll definately have the dude at the scrapyard shoot it with his test gun before I list it.