PDA

View Full Version : Any tips to easily fit Lyman 450 die nut??

ihmsakiwi
05-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Hi Guys,

I have three 450's, one is an absolute bear to change dies over as the nut is so difficult to get started. As the threads are so fine I worry about cross-threading if I put too much down pressure on it. Does anyone have any tips to help?

JIMinPHX
05-22-2011, 05:18 AM
I've never used a 450, but on a 4500, I find it useful to put the nut on the die first & then push the pair into the sizer body. That seems to help me keep things straight. I seem to recall people telling me that the 450 & 4500 are pretty similar.

You aren't kidding when you say those threads are fine. I have no idea why they chose to make them that way.

GP100man
05-22-2011, 05:24 AM
I lube the rubber O-ring , then install the nut on it before inserting it into the sizer body .

Remove the top punch, insert the die until it touches the body , use the ram to apply very slight pressure , it`ll apply even pressure squarely around the nut , more or less to hold it square on the die .

It also helps if ya use a very stiff lube to warm things up so the lube does`nt interfer with fit .

Nick2010
05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
i put the wrench on the nut, lower the ram so it has evenly presses on the nut and start to screw the nut down, and you can lift the wrench and pivot it on the ram, easiest way i have done it..

oneokie
05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Another vote for putting the nut on the die and then installing.

crash87
05-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I lube the rubber O-ring , then install the nut on it before inserting it into the sizer body .

Remove the top punch, insert the die until it touches the body , use the ram to apply very slight pressure , it`ll apply even pressure squarely around the nut , more or less to hold it square on the die .

It also helps if ya use a very stiff lube to warm things up so the lube does`nt interfer with fit .

Using the ram toapply slight pressure and square it up, is the key.
CRASH87

mooman76
05-22-2011, 10:37 AM
For something like this I usually I usually put the nut on it and turn it backwards like you are unscrewing it. That helps line it up and then I screw it in by hand to get started. A little lube would probably help too. When I was a youngster, I had a bad habit of cross threading and over tightening things and stripping out threads.

C.F.Plinker
05-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I backed up the nut on my 450 until it dropped down. I put a file mark on it that lined up with the center of the sizer body. Now I know where the threads will start to engage each other. Then, as others have said, put even pressure on the nut and start tightening slowly. I also found that it helps to clean the threads both on the nub and the sizer body before starting to install the die.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-22-2011, 04:11 PM
all good suggestions above,
I think adding heat and starting with fingers instead of wrench is what works for me.
Jon

05-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I created a witness mark, not un-like C. F. Plinker, except I used a center punch.

Von Gruff
05-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I use a little heat to make sure the lube is soft and use the ram without the top punch to push the die with top nut on it, start with fingers to make sure the thread is started correctly then use the ram on the nut with the nut wrench (but I cut the lug off the die wrench). I keep the ram with LIGHT pressure to make sure there is no back pressure from the lube to cause a sudden strip. With the lube warmed, as soon as the nut firms it is tight enough.

Von Gruff.

legend
05-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I find that heating the nut kind of melts the lube that is on the threads(in the body of the press) ....works for me.

ColColt
05-22-2011, 07:18 PM
When changing dies I get off all the old lube that may have accumulated on the threads and clean it with Kroil Oil, wipe the female threads with the same. I'm very cautions about cross threading and put the nut on with the die and turn in very carefully with two fingers. If any resistance, I back off and try again. I'm going to try using the ram approach as that sounds like a good idea.

curiousgeorge
05-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I had this problem for years but finally hit upon a solution that works for me. With the old die out and before putting the new die in, screw the nut in the hole. Without the die in the sizer it is easy to get it to align itself and only takes a minute to screw it in and then back out. This cleans enough of the lube out of the threads so that after you put the next sizing die in (pressed in with the ram - no nose punch), the nut can align, catch the threads easily and screws in with very little effort. I had 2 450's and 2 4500's at the time and seemed to always be changing out pistol and rifle dies. I sold both of the 450's, but still have the 4500's, and just this one extra small step seemed to take most of the hassle out of the change - over.

Steve

Dframe
05-23-2011, 12:38 PM
all good suggestions above,
I think adding heat and starting with fingers instead of wrench is what works for me.
Jon

Thats what I usually do. I've always been concerned about cross threading and using only finger pressure is the best way I have of being sure I don't.

ihmsakiwi
05-24-2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks guys. The last 450 I picked up for $50.00 off a mate, has, I just discovered a nut with a few flattened threads. The main body seems OK so it looks like that is my issue. But whilst discovering this I did take heed of the advise given and a little 3-in-1 oil after cleannig threads on both unit and nut worked a treat just with finger pressure. Thanks Von Gruff I will take that lug off one of my wrenchs and also try your method.
I was in your neck of the woods week before last and i must say I do miss the beauty of the South Island in autaum. I am a Cantaberian living in the land of lattes.

Cherokee
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
I heat up the lube for a little bit, then "Using the ram to apply slight pressure and square it up, is the key", turn slowly and don't over-tighten, as was said.

Shiloh
05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Pressure on the die and nut. As already stated cleaning up the threads with Hoppes or Ed's Red works well also. Heating the area with a heat gun or hair dryer speeds up the cleaning process.

SHiloh

lmcollins
05-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Whenever I do a die change I take the old die out of the unit, pull the nut off of it, and put them both well searated on an old piece of newspaper. I then heat them both intel the lube melts off of them with my trusty Harbor Freight heat gun. With no lube on the die - or the nut - everything goes back in very easily.

As others have mentioned: use the ram pulled down lightly to help align the new die and the nut into the sizer.

With no sticky lube on anything, all goes together well.

gnoahhh
05-26-2011, 10:14 AM
I just beat it in with a hammer.[smilie=w:

Von Gruff
05-26-2011, 05:02 PM
I just beat it in with a hammer.[smilie=w:

The old rule of "if it dosent work use a bigger hammer and if it breaks it was no good in the first place".

:Fire:

:drinks:

Von Gruff.

high standard 40
05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
My method is similar to others here. Place the nut on the die first, push the die into the press body by hand, then I place a small piece of aluminum plate (1" X 1" X1/8") on top of the nut and lower the press ram to apply a little pressure to the top of the nut and square the nut in the press body. I can then tighten the nut without fear of cross threading. It has always worked well for me.