PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to dispose of dross?

MBTcustom
05-22-2011, 02:04 AM
This is a problem that has bugged me for years. How do you get rid of the WW clips and other junk that you scrape off the silver stream? See'in as how its a slight haz-mat issue.

buyobuyo
05-22-2011, 09:00 AM
The clips can be turned in for scrap, but it takes a good bit to be worth much. Everything else just goes in the dumpster.

Jim
05-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Here, it goes in the trash.

gray wolf
05-22-2011, 09:11 AM
We have no trash pick up here so it's a trip to what we call our dump.
Very nice set up all in all. They make it easy to bring junk in and take junk out,
Whilst you get rid of your trash.
For me it goes like this, Load up the truck--go to the dump--get rid of the trash--go on a scavenger hunt, propane bottles, old pieces of metal, anything I can use that was someone else' s Garbage, then into the little shack for any old dishes, muffin pans, old spoons and such.
Then look over the cloths and see what fits me.

The last stop I make is to get rid of any unwanted or used fluids, Gas, oil, cleaning solvent.
After that I get rid of my Dross at the scrap metal site.
No problem and they thank me for not polluting.

MBTcustom
05-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Thats what I thought, just checkin

grullaguy
05-22-2011, 10:13 AM
That has been bugging me as well. I have been slipping it in with the weekly garbage. I figure it is least likely to end up in the food chain if it is buried at the land fill.

Hardcast416taylor
05-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I guess it is just me being different about what you do with your dross. After the steel ww clips and any other metal pieces are out and I flux and skim the dross off, I put it aside in a metal pail for later work. After I am done smelting and there is no lead in the smelter back in goes the dross for another smelt cycle to see what I can reclaim from the pile. Amazing what can be gotten from another smelting.Robert

DukeInFlorida
05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
My "town dump" is really a recycling center. They make $$$ off of the metal that gets turned in. So, I always take my dross, mostly steel clips, and dump them in the "STEEL dumpster" there at the Recycling Center.

When I do the range lead smelting, the copper jackets with dross go into the "OTHER METALS dumpster".....

wallenba
05-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Once a year my community joins with other local communities for a hazardous wate drop-off. A notice is mailed out prior. Check with your city or others close by to see.

bumpo628
05-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I've got a large amount of steel weights from my WW purchases. I just throw the skimmed clips in there.

I also recycle the dross into the next smelt. Just put the dross into a coffee can and toss it into the next smelt.

JIMinPHX
05-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I see on the scrap metal indexes, that there is a spot price for lead dross. That means that somebody somewhere actually buys that stuff. I have yet to find a scrap dealer that has any interest in taking dross (for free), but I would love to find one. In the mean time, I've been storing my dross until I find a good place to get rid of it. I got rid of some of it by pouring it into a dead battery out of a car before I turned the battery in for it's core value.

deepwater
05-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I pour the dross and steel clips in the same container. I just took two 5 gal. pails of steel clips "soldered" with dross to the scrap yard. They paid me the price for wheel weights with metal clips---a premium over steel scrap.

I keep a steel lacquer pail next to my turkey fryer when smelting. All debris from the melt goes into the bucket. It is safe and easy. At the scrap yard the contents are dumped out and I keep the pail.

deepwater

perimedik
05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
right in the trash here. Checked with the dump and the haz mat waste collection dump, both said toss em.

Gtek
05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
I boil them in water and save the water to make my mother in-law iced tea when she visits. (joking). I turn them in at recycle with steel. It is melted and seperated on their end. Plus you can tell the sensitive ones around you that you are green and you feel good about yourself. Gtek

evan price
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I put them in barrels along with all the other scrap metal I generate- worn out shock absorbers, rusted out mufflers, old washing machine parts, oil filters, spark plugs, bent mower blades, you name it. It all goes along with the wheel weight clips, dross, and the zinc and steel weights. If I have a car to take to the shredder I dump it all in the trunk or on the floor. Otherwise it all gets sold to the jukn dealer as sheet metal along with dead lawn mowers, scrap steel sheet, wrecked bumpers... it is all metal. And I am getting $225 a ton for this sort of junk.

Putting it in the trash won't be a problem. It's hardly any worse than the flashlight batteries, electronic devices, syringes, and other items that go in the trash. The whole "HazMat" thing is really blown out of proportion.

grisy11
05-22-2011, 08:27 PM
:drinks:
I boil them in water and save the water to make my mother in-law iced tea when she visits
Gtek i never even thot of doing that.that is a good one

exile
05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys, I have been wondering about this one.

exile

leadman
05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
I seperate the clips and dross, sell both at the scrap dealers. Got $.50 a pound for the dross last time. about $.08 a pound for the steel.

Lloyd Smale
05-24-2011, 06:03 AM
I throw the dross from the casting pot back in the melting pot and remelt it when doing the next batch or wws. .

blackbike
09-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I too plan to reclaim what I can. One guy said he cast the dross in cement and burys it.

Sonnypie
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
I live in a city and have trash service.
I just put my shop trash in with the rest of the trash. Sometimes I put stuff in the recycling.
But my dross (Dad called it slag) goes in a 1 gallon can right now. And when it gets to be enough, can and all will go into the trash.

Ashes to ashes,
and dust to dust,
Lead came from the ground,
and back go it must.

Oy Vey! :mrgreen:

clodhopper
09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Just put it in a box then tape a "postage will be paid by addresee card" from some organization you don't like and drop it in the mail box.

white eagle
09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
sell most everything back to the scrap man
tell him what it is and he takes it from there

geargnasher
09-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Just put it in a box then tape a "postage will be paid by addresee card" from some organization you don't like and drop it in the mail box.

:happy dance::awesome::2_high5:

Now THAT'S funny right there!

I reclaim my dross from casting when I smelt, and all the clips get put in steel 5-gallong buckets and traded to a local scrap hound for babbit metal, sewer pipe joints, and roofing lead.

Gear

badbob454
09-14-2011, 02:48 AM
they let me dump my clips in the metal recycling at the dump they are pretty free of lead now . my dross, after fluxing ,... i dont know what to do with, usually throw it away

frankenfab
09-15-2011, 07:04 PM
The last time I just took them to the scrap yard with a trailer full of other iron. I told them I wanted my barrel back, and they just dumped it out with the magnet crane. The operator was too far away to even tell what it was:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=479&pictureid=3294