PDA

View Full Version : My .224 from rimfire procedure

wonderwolf
05-22-2011, 12:46 AM
I thought I would share my procedure of going from rimfire cases to finished bullets. I am using cases I obtain from a indoor range and choose to sort by head stamp as this keeps things much more consistent. Even though its just going to plinking ammo, accuracy feedback is still important to me.

This was what I wrote up to help me see what steps I could modify to shorten production time. yellow highlight show at what steps I am handing individual cores/cases/jackets instead of in bulk. My next step up is a gang mold for my cores

This may also help serve to show people interested in getting started how much work it takes to go from start to finish. Some things I've learned so far, wet tumble is much easier and the media doesn't lodge or wedge in the HP's of finished bullets, do not try to anneal cases before you derim and try weighing cases out to see what headstamp is more consistent for weight or even OAL. I will try and have figures posted on average jacket weights and consistencies since I've got access to a lot of various makes fired brass.

Utah Shooter
05-22-2011, 12:49 AM
? Maybe I was expecting more.

ExcIsAc
05-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Saving everyone the trouble of opening a separate file.

.224 bullets from rimfire jackets
Best procedure after 2 years experiance
Cases/Jackets YELLOW EQUALS INDIVIDUAL HANDLING STEPS
1. Sort cases into lots if desired by headstamp
2. Rinse cases with warm water so priming compound is washed away, this
saves die and stem from excess wear
3. Lubricate and derim cases
4. Wash JACKETS with de-greasing soap and warm water to remove lube so
lube does not bake on or otherwise cake on jackets while annealing
5. Anneal jackets and allow to cool
6. Lubricate jackets and seat core, point form
7. Wet tumble bathe bullets if possible for super fast shine rinse and dry

Cores
1. Cast
2. Squish
3. Seat

I agree with you Utah

DukeInFlorida
05-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Too much technology........ I also agree with Utah.

Thanks for sharing your steps, wonderwolf.

(At least he didn't put the pdf file inside of a ZIP archive.....)

wonderwolf
05-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll expand on it more, Its a PDF? you click on the link and it pops up...is it really that big of a deal?
It's mostly just a boiled down process since there is such a steep learning curve I thought it would help clear up questions.

I want to eventually add weights of individual head stamps of brass and perhaps some troubleshooting, I was bored last night and had nothing else better to do. Its not like there is a whole lot more to it than what I laid down really

ccook23
05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
I appreciate the .pdf file - I wish there were more of them. I can add this to my local .pdf library without ever wondering if a "url" or "post" wont be there in the future.

Clint

Utah Shooter
05-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Well I was not looking to offend. I just figured with it being a PDF there was a bit more to it.

I did not look at it like Clint did. Sorry.

wonderwolf
05-24-2011, 11:36 AM
No its cool, I was just a bit confused I thought it may not have worked for some or something.

Anyways I'll try to add pictures and more measurements of various cases as I go. I will replace the file at the top with the new versions as I go this isn't going to be a update once a week thing though. I'm trying to graduate college and do this for "me time"