PDA

View Full Version : hunting knife

mustanggt
05-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I have an antelope hunt scheduled in the fall and need a fixed blade around 4". I've seen the Buck Omni 12 made in the USA is a definate plus. A drop point may be the way to go. What are your opinions fellas?

insanelupus
05-22-2011, 02:00 AM
For gutting I use whatever knife I tend to have on me at the time. Last fall I tried using the Havalon Piranta for boning the meat out. Worked great for that chore and is lightweight and easy to throw in a pack.

altheating
05-22-2011, 07:13 AM
For three minutes of gutting I would not get to worked up over your choices. Pick up a cheap lock blade knife. A cheap knife and a $10.00 diamond knife/fishing hook sharpiner is the way to go. In my experiance Buck Knifes are to hard, making them very hard to sharpen.

Hardcast416taylor
05-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Having done an antelope or two I question your need for a 4" bladed knife. A 2 bladed 2 7/8" blade folding pocket knife did the gut work very nicely, I am still carrying the knife since I clean the knife after each use. A different camp knife will handle the cutting up of the animal later. A small diamond stone is about all you will need extra. Remember that every ounce extra you carry starts to feel like pounds later in the day.Robert

winelover
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
My preference for a field dressing knife is a "Wyoming Knife" that incorporates a gut hook and a short up swept replaceable blade. My Buck Lockblade "everyday" folder takes care of the rest.

Winelover