PDA

View Full Version : Herters and CH question

jcw1970
05-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I have a Herters Super Bullet Maker. Will the C&H dies work in it? I'm not having any luck finding anything Herters and I really don't want to have to buy a swag o matic.

Pressman
05-21-2011, 09:12 PM
No, they use a different thread size amongst other things.
Ken

jcw1970
05-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Anyone want to buy a Herters Super Bullet Maker? lol

deltaenterprizes
05-22-2011, 10:20 AM
What caliber die are you wanting to buy? They are a simple design and easy to make, I have die sets I can copy.

BwBrown
05-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I used a Herters Bullet Maker in .429 for years, and yes the threads of the dies are different from those of CH. Watch "theBay"... Herter's dies surface from time to time, usually with the press. Be careful though, the last set of Herter dies on ebay were missing the punch - if you buy the whole setup it is usually about the same as the dies alone, and you are more assured to have a complete set.

Truth is, the old Herter presses are inexpensive enough, you can pick them up and keep a dedicated press/die setup for each handgun caliber - would save the "work" of changing and adjusting the dies back and forth.

I never had opportunity to try rifle bullets in the Herter press - might find it a bit short on leverage.
Bob

jcw1970
06-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Wish someone would have told me the nose punch and forming die are interchangeable between the two.

BwBrown
06-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Wish someone would have told me the nose punch and forming die are interchangeable between the two.

Did not realize that - sorry.
I had the one set of Herter dies and used the be-jabbers out of them! Swaged and shot a small fortune worth of Herter half jackets for my 44 special. There was still a lot of exposed lead, resulted in leaded barrels at magnum velocities.

Never tried the Super Bullet Maker with full jackets. Consensus was that there was not enough "oomph" to the press. When I decided to jump into full jackets, I sold the SBM and bought a Corbin -S Press and a variety of dies from several makers.
Spent lots of money, but have had a bunch of fun - and most of my jacketed bullets shoot as well as commercial (not necessarily specialty the bench-rest) quality stuff.

AND - not counting the cost of swaging equipment, the material costs (brass and lead) are far less than commercial slugs.
Have fun,
Bob