PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie(to this forum, not to casting)

Alan in Vermont
05-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Hello everyone, new member here from the upper left hand corner of Vermont.

Longtime shooter, reloader and bullet caster. Shot handgun silhouettes for a few years using the Lyman 429421 (I hope I got that number right, CRS is setting in) Keith style 44 semi-wadcutter. I think about 15,000 of them went down the tube on my Super Blackhawk.

Currently loading a cast 230 gr. RN in .45 ACP and a nice little 150 gr. flatnose in reduced 30-30 loads. I can't remember the number on the mould and it isn't close by right now to look at.

I'm debating casting for low power .38/357 loads but not sure how it will compare to swaged bullets for bullseye shooting.

geargnasher
05-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse! You just named four of probably the best cast-boolit calibers around. Lots of fun to be had with any and all of those.

Depending on your casting proficiency and the quality of the swaged boolits you've been using, I see no reason why you couldn't equal or even surpass them in the accuracy department, get a mould and try it!

Gear

RobS
05-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Yep, the 38/357 are great cartridges for cast boolits. Make sure the boolit fit is right for your revolver and you'll have all the success and then some that you would have with swaged bullets.