PDA

View Full Version : bought some pewter and scored some bonus tin

Patrick L
12-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Awhile back I posted about getting some old lead soldier molds and wondering what I could use as an alternative to lead to cast a few soldiers. Many of you suggested pewter. I phone call to a local scrap dealer confirmed he had some.

While I was there, I also inquired about any scrap tin, although I knew he probably didn't have any. I haven't found tin at either of our local scrap dealers in over 10 years. Amazingly enough, the oldtimer that worked there though he had found some a few days earlier. Lo and behold, he dug into a barrel and pulled out two old tin coils !

Guess I've got a bit more smelting to do this vacation ! I'll be curious to see how the pewter melts. My uncle said he would send me the molds after the holidays.

bishopgrandpa
12-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Where are you upstate? Any tin or pewter is to valuable to a cast bullet man to make soldiers with. Have no idea what to use as substitute tho. You're right about finding any. Around the Ballston Spa area I have searched relentlessly for dead lead and tin. I found a 50# box of 50/50 and had to pay $50, making the tin content $2 a lb. Maybe not so bad after all. At least I found it.

Patrick L
12-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm close, just outside Albany.

What would the pewter be good for in regards to bullet making ?

fecmech
12-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Use it as straight tin, I think it's 90+ percent tin with some copper and other trace alloys.

bishopgrandpa
12-26-2006, 09:54 AM
I have a set of chess molds made of silicone that worked quite well. Used linotype cuz pewter is hard to find or to expensive. Your finding tin coils is a stroke of luck. Tell your "scrappy" to keep his eye out for more and offer a bonus of some refreshments. Good luck.

Patrick L
12-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Is that true about the pewter ? would the copper or anything else in the alloy have any negative effect on cast bullets ?

garandsrus
12-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's a link to information about Pewter
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pewter)

Part of the contents:

Pewter is a metal alloy, traditionally between 85 and 99 percent tin, with the remainder consisting of 1-4 percent copper, acting as a hardener, with the addition of lead for the lower grades of pewter and a bluish tint. Traditionally, there were three grades of pewter: fine, for eatingware, with 96-99 percent tin, and 1-4 percent copper; trifle, also for eating and drinking utensils but duller in appearance, with 92 percent tin, 1-6 percent copper, and up to 4 percent lead; and lay or ley metal, not for eating or drinking utensils, which could contain up to 15 percent lead. Modern pewter mixes the tin with copper, antimony, and/or bismuth as opposed to lead.

John