PDA

View Full Version : Stuck expanding die

tmc-okc
05-20-2011, 07:25 PM
I recently purchased a used set of 310 dies in 44 Spl / Mag caliber. The dies were filthy but in decent condition otherwise. I have disassembled each die & cleaned and oiled. But the case neck expanding die plug is STUCK hard. I soaked the die for a couple days in penatrating oil, then clamped the plug in a set of hardwood blocks in a 6 inch vise and used a set of vice grips ( with leather lined jaws) to grip the knurled portion of the die body. It still refused to budge in either direction. I need some expert advise as to how to loosen this plug. Please advise.
Thanks

Ben
05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Have you tried heat ( a propane torch ) waved back and forth over it.

It might help ?

Mk42gunner
05-20-2011, 11:38 PM
I've never done it to a die, but I have freed up several stuck bolts, nuts and bearing races on tractors by using a propane torch to boil penetrating oil. The heat really helps break the rust loose. try a gentle application of heat first, as Ben suggests.

Robert

Pavogrande
05-21-2011, 03:45 AM
after soaking, heating, praying, cursing and other methods try laying the die on a brass or steel block (chunk of track or anvil) and smartly tapping the outside of the die, in the thread area, with a brass hammer --
When you do get it broken loose, it is often best to screw the plug back and forth while removing and generously lubing it. -- sort of like you would if tapping the hole.
best o british luck --

Plinkster
05-21-2011, 03:56 AM
You might also try heating it (carefully) with the torch and then melting wax into the mating surfaces, just rub a candle on it after heating. This is a trick I've used for stuck exhaust manifold studs before.

Johnch
05-21-2011, 08:18 AM
OUT SIDE
In a small can on a hot plate

Put it in the can with ATF and heat to just less than smoking

Leave "cook" for a few hours

This has gotten a number of stuck rusty things loose for me over the years

John

pdawg_shooter
05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
KROIL, works on most anything.

scrapcan
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM
did you get the lock ring loose on the expander plug? if not work on that first. then approach the issue with expander plug and body.

If all else fails you can find another expander body. If you resort to that send me a pm, I may have a spare in the parts box, but we need to know which version of hte dies you have. Yes there are many different versions, different stampings, different knurling, etc....

Ben
05-24-2011, 03:06 PM
We're offering help, but ? ? ? ?

redneckdan
05-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Let it soak in Kroil for a couple days.

tmc-okc
05-26-2011, 04:05 PM
I recently purchased a used set of 310 dies in 44 Spl / Mag caliber. The dies were filthy but in decent condition otherwise. I have disassembled each die & cleaned and oiled. But the case neck expanding die plug is STUCK hard
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, with all the GREAT suggestions I was able to get it free. I first tried soaking it a couple days. Still stuck. Heated the soaking solution for 2 hours. Still stuck. Put it back in the heated solution for a couple more hours then tapped it with a brass hammer while still warm.. It worked ! Viola.. Now with a little more cleanup I will have a good expanding die.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions.. I dont believe any one attempt was the actual solution but a combination of all that actually broke it free.

Wasnt that lucky with a bullet seating die for 218 Bee. That stem snapped off on the first attempt to turn it after soaking. Guess I will be looking for a new 310 seating die for my 218 Bee now..

Again -- thanks to all !