PDA

View Full Version : Macho Man Dead!!

Big Ryan
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/Macho-Man-Randy-Savage-dies-in-car-accident-052011/?GT1=39002

Oh, say it aint soo. Sad day for us old school wrestling fans. He was one of my all time favorite wrestlers when I was a child, along with Rusty Roads and a few others. RIP Macho Man!!! Who's gonna take over the slim jim commercials now?

Jethro44mag
05-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Thats too bad. I had alot of fun watching him when I was a kid. Now I wonder if my wife, who works at the post office will have another payed holiday off.

geargnasher
05-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Probably not, but they might make a stamp.....

Gear

starnbar
05-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah he was one of the good guys along with Buddy Colt, Mike Graham, Hero Matsuda, Sailor Art Thomas, Gorgeous George, Dusty Roads most of the old ones are gone now and to think they used to get less than 200 bucks a night to get onstage. RIP Macho Man.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Old school ?
what about The Crusher (Reginald Lisowski), Baron Von Raske, "Mad Dog" Vachon.
to me that's old school !

Sprue
05-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I read this because I thought you were speaking about Hector. Never could digest big time wrestling.

Dframe
05-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Ooooooooh Yeeeeaaaah!

steg
05-21-2011, 03:00 AM
Chief Jay Strongbow...........

Lee
05-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Gorgeous George??

Bruno Valentino?? (B&W, now THAT'S old!!)

FISH4BUGS
05-21-2011, 09:27 AM
My kids and I had lunch at Weylu's on Route 1 in Saugus MA (just outside Boston) about 20 or more years ago. We stopped in and sat at a table. Macho Man came in and sat next to us, and we of course, recognized him immediately. I asked him if he would like to join us for lunch, and he said "sure".
He was in Boston for a match, and he was a genuinely nice guy. He loved what he did and he loved his fans. For the next hour my son was in heaven. LUNCH WITH MACHO MAN! We got some photos and learned a lot about the wrestling world. People came up to the table and asked for autographs and pictures with him. We all took it in stride. Randy took the time to speak with everyone. He apologized to us for interrupting our lunch, but we said "no problem". It was really fun to be a part of all that, if only for one hour.
My son, now 30 years old, was genuinely saddened by his death. Sitting with a guy like Randy for lunch was a kid's dream. He never forgot it.
RIP Macho Man.

LIMPINGJ
05-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I remember when I was a kid watching wraslin with my Grandmother when we spent the night with my dad's parents, they were first in the family to have a TV. Her two favorites were Chief Wahoo McDaniel and Dookie Ahmuka. Not sure of the spellings.

Echo
05-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Well - we used to watch wrestling on B&W TV. WAY back. When I think of old time wrestlers, I think of Gorgeous George, Billy Vargas, Lou Thesz, Cowboy Kowalski, The Swedish Angle - guys who were wrestling when Macho was born...

Lee
05-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Bruno Sammartino... I stand corrected.
George "The Animal" Steele
"The Shiek"
"The Fabulous Moolah"

The list goes on and on.....

94Doug
05-21-2011, 06:14 PM
How about the "Blonde Bomber" Art is now the Jail Administrator in Chippewa Falls, WI.

Doug

JIMinPHX
05-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah he was one of the good guys along with Buddy Colt, Mike Graham, Hero Matsuda, Sailor Art Thomas, Gorgeous George, ...

Gorgeous George??? My GRANDPARRENTS knew him. Wow, that's going back a ways.

kyswede
05-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I grew up watching The Sheik, BoBo Brazil and Flying Fred Curry.
kyswede

hiram
05-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Ivan Putsky

bruce drake
05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
"The Polish Hammer! Ivaaaaan Puuuutttskkkiiiiii"

I loved watching that little fellow lay the fist into the bad guys when I was growing up.

I hated Bob Backlund because he was the super goody-two-shoes but I'd cheer for him when he went up against the Iron Sheik.

Randy Savage was one of the better acts that came along in the 80s though. Very sad to read that he died just a year after finally marrying someone he loved for such a long time.

Bruce

timbuck
05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Verne Gagne
Dick "the bruiser"
Mad Dog and Butcher Vachon.
George "scrap iron" Gudaski?

smokey496
05-21-2011, 10:17 PM
May he rest in peace.

Von Gruff
05-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Abdul the butcher was a real piece of work.
Who was that guy from Stutgard who was on the go at the same time.

Von Gruff.

Southern Son
05-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Someone alread mentioned George the Animal, even though I was only 10 or so when I first saw himm on TV, I really wondered why a professional wrestler would stop halfway through a "fight" to eat the padding on the ropes.

WILCO
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H04XhV5_KSI

Lots of great action in 6 minutes! Rest in peace Macho Man!

starnbar
05-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Gorgeous George??? My GRANDPARRENTS knew him. Wow, that's going back a ways.

he was working in vegas when cassius clay was getting his career going he told clay if you want to make a ton of money make the crowd hate you by saying you can't be beat "they'll pay top dollar to see somebody whip your a$$" quote from george

bobthenailer
05-22-2011, 11:51 AM
How about ACE FREMEN / FREEMAN / FREMAN not Quite sure of the spelling he was a old time wrestler from the Pittsburgh area ! he occasionly came to the car dealership that i worked at , to get his car repaired.
Not to git off the subject but Josh Coschack the UFC fighter, lived next door to a shooting buddy of mine when Josh was growing up .

I also talked to Matt Huges also a UFC fighter at the NRA convention in Pittsburgh .

swheeler
05-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I always like the Crusher with his beer keg. Edge will never be "the Slim Jim man" always Randy Savage, may he RIP

John D
05-22-2011, 01:08 PM
How about YUKON ERIC..

RayinNH
05-22-2011, 01:17 PM
The only one I vaguely remember from the old days was Haystacks Calhoun...Ray

izzyjoe
05-22-2011, 01:53 PM
i grew up in the early '80's watching wrestling with my grandad. my grandad used to go to memphis back in the '50 and '60 to watch matches, long before they televised them. but randy savage was one of my favorites. R.I.P. MACHO MAN!

Thin Man
05-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Ron and Don Wright, tag team.

Bad Water Bill
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Who ever caught one of GGs GOLDEN hairpins. I still remember the way he took them out of his hair and threw them to the audience. What a showman.

Roundnoser
05-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Long Live Macho Madness!! I Loved that guy. My Dad, who passed away when I was 25, used to watch WWF with me when I was a teen in High School. We LOVED Randy Savage, and laughed out butts off when he was interviewed. I spent most of my teenage years impersonating Macho Man when my friends ahd I got together.

Heres a name many of you might NOT know...One of those wrestlers that always LOST against the wrestling stars....BARRY "O".

Heres a clip for you Macho Man fans...
http://youtu.be/YK7J0jYKpiY

Lee
05-23-2011, 07:40 PM
WoW! Well done.
"Haystacks Calhoun"
I remember him fondly........

giz189
05-23-2011, 07:56 PM
How about Danny Hodge?

hammerhead357
05-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Danny Hodge now theres a name from a long time ago. Last I knew he was still alive and living in Perry Oklahoma. Many names brought up here that recall many memories....Wes

winelover
05-25-2011, 07:27 AM
I remember when I was a kid watching wraslin with my Grandmother when we spent the night with my dad's parents, they were first in the family to have a TV. Her two favorites were Chief Wahoo McDaniel and Dookie Ahmuka. Not sure of the spellings.

Haystack Calhoun was my grandmother's favorite. Remember the horseshoe he wore around his neck on a heavy chain? I liked Leaping Larry Shane. I grew up watching Bo Bo Brazil, Dick the Bruiser and the Shiek.

Winelover

Slingshot
05-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I started watching WWF in the early 80's when I was a tween. Then came AWA, NWA, and the UWF. Randy Macho Man Savage.................OH YEA!!!!!!!!! was one of my favorites along with..........

The Von Erichs ... talk about a cursed family.
Dusty Rhodes . Magnum T.A. Rock N Roll Express . The 4 Horseman.. Minnesota Wrecking Crew. Lex Luger. The Ultimate Warrior. many many others.

My wrestling coach in High School was a pro wrestler in a small time local circut. His real name is Scott Helton but him and his partner were the "Reynolds Brothers" and their famous move was "The Reynolds wrap" .

Take Pro wrestling for what its worth... entertainment.

RIP Macho Man. It was a pleasure to watch you.

mold maker
05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Two Ton Harris
Wahoo MacDanuels
Masked Bolo

Boz330
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Verne Gagne
Dick "the bruiser"
Mad Dog and Butcher Vachon.
George "scrap iron" Gudaski?

Dick the Bruiser, now there is a name I haven't heard in awhile. The first one I think of when I think of wrestling.
The guys farm I have deer hunted on since 77', his wife was crazy about wrestling, and thought it was real. I use to harass her about the fact that those moves would kill a normal human being but she still thought it was real. She wanted to whip my butt every time I tried to convince her that it was fake. Unfortunately they have both passed on but it sure brings back good memories and smiles. I think the old hokey wrestling was better than the new stuff, but then I don't really watch it.
I always wondered why wrestling attracted teenagers and grandmothers when I was a teenager. My maternal grandmother was just like my friends wife. A nice quiet elderly lady who would go nuts over those wrestlers.:veryconfu

Bob

swheeler
05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Stan Hanson, Allen and Terry Funt

shooterg
05-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Johnny Weaver, Chief Wahoo McDaniel

Roundnoser
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
About 10 + years ago, I took my oldest son to watch WWF Wrestle-mania live at the Brice Jordan Center, Penn State University. The big attraction was the Undertaker and Steve Austin; My son's generation of wrestlers. It was a great show, but not for little kids. I watched grown men with beer in one hand and throwing the "finger" with the other hand while screaming the "F" bomb over and over at those wrestling stars we all love to hate! I kept trying to cover my son's ears, but gave up, as the foul behavior from the audience continued for 2 hours. -- Can't blame them. They were just having a good time.

This was the moment that a Father has the "talk" with his kids about profanity and all the words we are not suppossed to use! -- It was a good time. Spent lots of money on t-shirts and food. Just wish my son was a few years older.

You guys remember the Iron Sheik and his trademark "Camel Clutch" / His arch enemy = Sgt. Slaughter.
I loved that pair! There were so many good ones! Thanks guys for mentioning all of these wrestlers...It brings back lots of good memories!

Junior1942
05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Who remembers Dangerous Danny McShane?

WILCO
05-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Who remembers Dangerous Danny McShane?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

dvanncvann
05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Jimmy "superfly" Snuka and Bob Armstrong.

dragonrider
05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Does no one remember "Killer Kowalski" and his famous "Claw Hold"??? Some of the silliest stuff I have ever seen.

Lee
05-29-2011, 08:11 PM
20+ years ago took my son to a show. Undertaker vs. ??? CRS!! Also saw the clowns Boink, and Double Boink. We were fortunate to have a complementary loge. Anything we wanted, no profanity. I have pictures, not sure who enjoyed the spectacle more, me or the boy.
Yep. Killer Kowalski, Jimmy Snuka, Sgt. Slaughter, Bobo Brazil.........:p

Err, or was it Doink and Double Doink.....[smilie=l: