PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Small Pistol Primers

altheating
05-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know who may have Wolf Small Pistol Primers in stock? All the internet sites seem to be out of them.

jnovotny
05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Did you check powder vally?

fredj338
05-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Widener's, Graf's PV??
WHy though, besides price, most guys I know that bought them back in the shortage are cursing them today. Very poor QC, at least in the SP. I have shot some LP, seem fine, even in my tuned M625. I believe production has been turned over to Tula.

Ben
05-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I've got some Wolf SP primers that I bought about 10 months ago, they are fine.
I bought mine from Wideners.
I'd put them right up there with any other maker.

Ben

shooterg
05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I bought a bunch just before the Big Primer Scare hit. 3000+ so far, all went bang.

skeet1
05-19-2011, 09:57 PM
All of the Wolf primers large and small, pistol and rifle have worked well for me. I am not sure but I think the Wolf brand primers are being replaced with the Tula brand. They are the same primer just a different name.

Ken

parrott1969
05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
fredj338, you fell for the propaganda hook line and sinker. I use the snot out of wolf/tula small pistol primers and they work fine. I like them so much that I currently have a 150,000 of them and FYI, I loaded 4000 last week and nary an issue.

Cowboy T
05-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I heard of some issues with a batch during 2008 and early 2009 as well, but mine have all gone bang. Hard to argue with actual results. :-) As long as they stay inexpensive like they are, I will continue to buy and use them.

Wolf and TulAmmo are simply brand names used by the importers for the same exact primers, which are made in the Murom factory about 200 miles east of Moscow. I'm guessing that the "Wolf" brand name got "tarnished" here in this country, hence the "TulAmmo" and "WPA" names now for the same stuff.

altheating
05-20-2011, 04:22 AM
Yes they have been working great for us too. We shot three cast groups in the 222 yesterday that we could cover with a quarter. Now I just need small pistol's for the Hornet.

MikeS
05-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Wolf and TulAmmo are simply brand names used by the importers for the same exact primers, which are made in the Murom factory about 200 miles east of Moscow. I'm guessing that the "Wolf" brand name got "tarnished" here in this country, hence the "TulAmmo" and "WPA" names now for the same stuff.

I was under the impression that Tula was the actual name of the company making the primers (and loaded ammo) or more correctly Tula Works, or something like that. Wolf was just a name that they used as it was more Americanized, but when it got a bad rep they went back to using their own name. A while back I saw an article that interviewed the CEO of the company. I can't verify this, but I looked at some of Hornady's line of steel cased ammo, and the cases look identical to the ones in the Tula ammo I got for my .45 a while back, only the name on the headstamp was different.

altheating
05-20-2011, 08:51 AM
I ordered the Tula SP primers from Powder Valley. I did not know that they were from the same maker. Killed two birds with one stone, ordered a couple 8 pounders of powder too.

songdog53
05-20-2011, 08:59 AM
I have never used any SP Wolf primers but have and are using some LP bought back when primers were hard to find and have had good experince with them. I know some have had problems with them but like everything you have some Monday morning primers and Friday afternoon primers. I was checking primers other day on net and i think Powder Valley have some and Graf's and Son's but then that was about a week ago.

05-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Hope you guys are right. I just ordered 10,000 Tula SP Mag. from Gaft and Son. There on sale $92.99 a case.

truckmsl
05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Wolf was just a name that they used as it was more Americanized, but when it got a bad rep they went back to using their own name. .

Exactly - likely more than just propaganda going on there. I would never buy them again based on my own experience.

Maybe you'll get a good batch, maybe not, but they really suck when you get a bad one. I don't like playing guessing games with my ammo.

johnho
05-20-2011, 10:50 AM
My first experience with Wolf's was a disaster, many not going off. I sounded off on them and a bunch of guys said i wasn't seating them deep enough, they were hard. What do they know, I've been loading for over 6 years now.

Well, next time I tried pushing a bit harder on my 550b. Hmmm, problems went away. Now i will very rarely get a misfire but i don't mind it as I don't use them in matches, for that I stick with the softer Winchesters. I also don't use them in my revolvers as they do give me problems there no matter how hard I seat them it seems.

I would use them without any reservations and even have shot them in IDPA when I was out of winchester loads, had no problems.

John

edsmith
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I have been reloading since 1955, and in all that time I have only one misfire, and that was caused by a crushed primer, I now use tula primers and never had any problems. what I can not understand is all the misfires some folks say they have. is it careless reloading, or products getting below par. just wondering.:drinks:

shooterg
05-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Purely a subjective thing, but most of us seat by feel - "feels" like the Wolf primers are a smidge bigger than others, which is a good thing when I put their SR magnum in old soft Federal .223 'cause they don't fall out ! Real easy on newer brass to not seat one all the way or crush it in a minimum size primer pocket. Guess somebody has actually measured but as long as I keep getting "Bangs!" I don't care.

fredj338
05-20-2011, 08:28 PM
fredj338, you fell for the propaganda hook line and sinker. I use the snot out of wolf/tula small pistol primers and they work fine. I like them so much that I currently have a 150,000 of them and FYI, I loaded 4000 last week and nary an issue.

Not propoganda at all. I have loaded them, watched them loaded & seen them fail in the field. The Wolf SP, I would not buy based on what I gave seen personally, not internet myth. I stated it could have been poor QC for those lots, but none the less, they were poor primers at best. The issue is lack of uniform size &/or them not beig exaclty round. Trying to fit a oval plug in a round primer pocket, yeah, doesn't work that well. Again, no issues w/ the Wolf LP, would use them again, but I have seen enough problems w/ the Wolf SP to not risk my hard eanred American cash on them. Some of you guys would buy Chinese primers if they were cheap enough.:dung_hits_fan:

milprileb
05-20-2011, 08:43 PM
I am over 15K of Tulla small and large pistol primers in reloads and they replicate Winchester primers in all my loads and they always go BANG.

THey feed in my priming machine and Dillon presses and they are priced below what other less reliable less available primers cost.

I got nothing but good things to say.

05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
The Tula SP mag primers came yesterday and I loaded some 38 sp. They seem to work fine in my Blackhawk. I loaded some 40 S&W and had a lot of misfires. I put a +10% striker spring in the Glock and that helped a lot. I tightened the seating pressure up on the press and I'll try that tomorrow. They're definitely hard as a brick ball bat.

ilcop22
05-26-2011, 12:52 AM
They're definitely hard as a brick ball bat.

+1 on that. I love Wolf primers, but they are tough as nails. Great if you're shooting something like an M1 Garand; not so great if your springs are older than dirt. :veryconfu

milprileb
05-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Pistols and lots of primers can often not marry up. I had a Python that would fire off any primer but not CCI... on those light primer strikes all the time. Use CCI in 1911 pistol reloads and no issues at all.

I am now 16K rounds fired: large / small pistol using Tula primers with perfect performance but I do use High Power and 1911 pistols. Have not tried revolvers or striker type auto pistols with this brand of primer.

So far so good on performance and on price !

Doby45
05-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I have shot thousands of WSP and WLP primers in my Glock and 1911 platform firearms and have had zero issues.

A J
05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Don't use Wolf or TuLa primers.......leaves more for me.

milprileb
05-26-2011, 10:49 AM
I shoot 1000 rds of pistol or more per month. If Tula was problematic, it would
not be suffered nor endured five minutes.

To each his own but the fact is out there on these primers and its good news.

That they are Russian and I hate Communists makes this a bit of a PITA for me but I try to console myself its the fruits of winning the cold war.

Just saying.... they are good primers for me:Fire:

05-26-2011, 01:31 PM
I took the Glock out this morning and ran 45 rnds. through it. Had three misfires. I tightened up the seating pressure some more and ran 45 more through with no fail to fire.
Looks like I'm good to go.

05-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Just shot 30 and they worked fine ill buy more.

Recluse
05-27-2011, 10:24 AM
They'll (Wolf/Tula/Russian) have to be the only primers left before I purchase any more.

Two years ago, I got some bad small-pistol primers. A few experts here told me everything I was doing wrong in the reloading (even though they admitted they didn't use the *** themselves. :rolleyes:).

Dunno. For the previous 28 years of reloading, I'd never had any primer issues.

Called company. Offered to send the primers back. Company person/rep/CSR admitted they had a "bad run" and sent me two more boxes, no charge. The customer service was excellent and I have no beefs with that.

I don't like the primers. They hard, literally, and they're hard to seat, and I refuse to "adjust my gun to the load" as instead I adjust the load to the gun. Translation? No way am I going to tighten up hammer springs just to make a cheap primer go "bang."

I'm glad so many people like them, because THAT leaves more Winchester and CCI primers for me. :)

:coffee:

Andy Griffith
05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
There is a word of caution on buying Wolf/Tula/Murom primers, and I made the mistake.

They make two different versions of small pistol primers made with different priming compounds, and this is where either the buyer or the seller need to pay extreme attention!

Do not buy the ones marked toxic metal free!!! Well, you can buy them if that is what you want...but I learned the hard way, but thankfully two years before the "shortage". ;-)

The toxic metal free primers have a shelf life of five to ten years- sometimes more or less, but they are primarily made for shooters and ranges that concerned with airborne lead. They are not as reliable as regular primers and require a different load work up to be reliable.

Fiocchi for instance, also makes toxic metal free primers and they give all these caveats on their use, and the store that stocks these primers near me even puts stickers on them to be certain customers don't confuse them with regular primers.

That's all I can say- I've used Murom in the white and green boxes (not Wolf brand) for about several years now, ever since I figured out the difference between the "TMF" primers and the regular primers.

mpmarty
05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Bought 30,000 Wolf LR primers a few years ago and have used half of them with not a single problem. They work just fine. I use them in 7.62X51 and 45/70 as well as in 10mm and 45acp. I'll be buying more in the near future.

malpaismike
05-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Hello the camp! Don't intend to change the thread; I have used Wolf primers to no ill effect. That said, I prefer home-grown products: WLP and CCI300.

To that end, rec'd the following in today's broadside:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/sale/categoryId/3500?grafs_vendor_filter=20&grafs_sorting_flydown=name_asc&_swat_form_character_encoding=%C3%A4%E2%84%A2%C2%A E&_swat_form_process=grafs_sorting_form&_swat_form_serialized__swat_form_process=auRBAfJoH pPQd2FWx7MVIQ%7Cs%3A18%3A%22grafs_sorting_form%22% 3B&_swat_form_hidden_fields=fDk71VXcXJddn45%2AbdDhwg% 7Ca%3A1%3A%7Bi%3A0%3Bs%3A18%3A%22_swat_form_proces s%22%3B%7D

Now, can anyone tell me the difference/benefit of 5.56- and 7.62-specific primers?

thxnregards mm

Andy Griffith
05-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I think .223's take small rifle, and .308's large rifle.

Since they are "mil spec" i suspect they are harder.

sargenv
05-27-2011, 06:50 PM
The two sleeves of Tula was worth the free shipping and hazmat on the other primers and powders I picked up at the time.. I've since used them for some 38 spl loads and I have yet to have them go "click" without the resulting "Bang!".

malpaismike
05-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Know whereof you speak, sargenv. Graf paid hazmat for orders with Cheddite 209 primers around xmas. Where were you shopping? I'm running low on AmSelect.

I wasn't clear enuf, AG. The CCI sale at Graf's lists CCI primers specific to 5.56 and 7.62. Guess hard could be part of it; would there be something that makes swaging, as most milammo is, easier/better/more tasty? Curious minds want to know.

See ya round the campfire. mm

GabbyM
05-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Hello the camp! Don't intend to change the thread; I have used Wolf primers to no ill effect. That said, I prefer home-grown products: WLP and CCI300.

To that end, rec'd the following in today's broadside:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/sale/categoryId/3500?grafs_vendor_filter=20&grafs_sorting_flydown=name_asc&_swat_form_character_encoding=%C3%A4%E2%84%A2%C2%A E&_swat_form_process=grafs_sorting_form&_swat_form_serialized__swat_form_process=auRBAfJoH pPQd2FWx7MVIQ%7Cs%3A18%3A%22grafs_sorting_form%22% 3B&_swat_form_hidden_fields=fDk71VXcXJddn45%2AbdDhwg% 7Ca%3A1%3A%7Bi%3A0%3Bs%3A18%3A%22_swat_form_proces s%22%3B%7D

Now, can anyone tell me the difference/benefit of 5.56- and 7.62-specific primers?

thxnregards mm

M34 and M41 are thick hard cup to avoid slam fires in military full auto guns. Also hot to ignite ball powders.
Good primers in semi auto running ball powders. With something like a hammer struck Marlin 336 I’d want a softer primer. Not saying a lever gun won’t pop them but it is getting marginal. I have used them in 5.56mm NATO loads with H335 or TAC. They are good primers. Especially if you plan to run hot loads. Win primers will ignite there WW ball powder but have much softer cups. Loads that will blow Win primers won’t faze a CCI M primer. I don’t load for an M14 or M1 but hear the M primers are a good thing to use in them. With the AR’s you see a distinct firing pin strike of a slam chambered round. Not much issue with slam fires though. Rem or standard CCI are plenty hard for an AR. But I’ve the M34’s anyway just because. Also have 6M Wolf 223 to run through. Which are supposed to be a hard cup also. I"v not got around to testing that. Some of the old foriengn mil surp guns have a very hard fireing pin strike. Can't recall the exact rifles but you actually need a hard primer to avoid piercing.

Just be aware if you are running these hard primers then work a load up until your primer cup metal flows into the firing pin hole in the bolt face to make that dimple . Well You've got some pressure there to consider. I prefer to use a chronograph to compare velocity to published loads rather than try reading primer cups and case head expansion.

Of course with cast loads pressure is rarely an issue most calibers.

05-28-2011, 09:22 AM
If you buy a new Gen 4 Glock it'll have an extra power striker spring in it from the factory. The factory rep told me it was because of misfires with "Some Ammo". I told him yea Wolf has hard primers and he just smiled.

gwilliams2
05-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I've always had great luck with Wolf primers, many (if not most) sent down range by a Glock.

05-29-2011, 07:10 AM
I ran some in my Marlin 1894 357 and they worked fine. I read somewhere that American primers are all made in the same factory just different specs. I want to say CCI is what I read but not sure. Is that true??

Bass Ackward
05-29-2011, 09:03 AM
I shoot everything in the way of primers. But I probably paid for the plant that makes these in Russia.

Love'em / hate'em, the great thing is the availability / competition. If not for the these primers, you would not have seen primers come back down in price. They would have just held the line where they were.

frankge
05-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I got the deal on tulas also. I use the Tula SP in my Glock with a lighter striker spring and they all lite. 90% of the time check your primer seating, these are a little larger than domestic. I use the Tula 223 SR with H335 and have been flawless in my ARs. I use Wolf LR in my 7.62x39 for my AK and 7.62x39 AR and those have never failed. I am waiting for another deal and will buy again. $20 vs, 30 - 35 for 1k, really? Almost no choice there. Regarding the Wolf vs. WPA... WPA is now made by Barnaul. You will not see Tula or Uly ammo distributed by Wolf anymore. IMHO thats a good thing, Barnaul makes Brown Bear. Tula is dirty, crappy, under powered in my limited experience.