PDA

View Full Version : 9MM Brass Shavings in Sizing Die

Ed_Shot
05-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Have a "previously owned" Lyman 9MM T/C die set. Relitively new to 9MM reloading but have been reloading for a long time. After resizing my first 500 rounds of range brass (w/o using case lube) I noticed a lot of brass shaving up inside my T/C sizing die. Researched here and just resized about 1000 cases esentially lubing every case and no difference I still had a big ball of "brass wool" up in the resizing die. Is this normal or do I need another sizing die. Cannot see any defect on the die surface I swear it's saving as the case is removed.

bbqncigars
05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Are the cases clean (not polished, but that's ok too) before sizing? Are the case walls perfectly smooth after resizing? Is the decapping rod centered and secure? If yes on all three, try deburring the outside of the necks on a few to see if that makes a difference.

Ed_Shot
05-20-2011, 10:32 AM
The cases were wiped clean and lubed and are smooth with the top quarter bunished bright after sizing. The decaping pin was tight and centered. I don't have any more un-sized cases right now but I will try deburring the next time I size. Thanks.

hornady
05-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Not saying this is your problem without seeing it. But this might also be an unsupported barrel problem. I have loaded 9MM for years.
A couple years back I Bought a S&W 6906 that was bulging the brass just like my Glock 22. But unlike the 40S&W there is no easy fix for 9MM brass.
I was able too use a LEE universal de- primer and then remove the de-capping pin from my Lyman sizing die, and adjust it down on the press far enough to size the case just enough it would camber in the barrel, without shaving the case wall.
Any cases that you have shaved the sides down on, I would be careful with. You have thinned the case wall down.
My permanent fix for the problem was too sell the S&W 6906.
I reload 9MM for a S&W 915, 2 Ruger’s in P-94, P - 89 and a Star with no bulge or problems.

noylj
05-20-2011, 07:55 PM
In general, the shavings are from the case mouth not being chamfered (there is a burr and the sizing die is removing it).
All cases need to be chamfered inside and out at least once.
Do not trim your cases, but you may want to chamfer the case mouths as you load until you work through all the cases you have.

Ed_Shot
05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
I was getting shavings from brass that I had already reloaded at least once. No one is a bigger Lyman fan than I am but I did not like that particular sizing die. I got my solution in the mail today form MidSouth......a Lee 9MM carbide sizing die. Just sized what I shot this weekend with no cleaning, no lube, no deburring, no shavings, no problems.

hornady
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I would not blame the Lyman Die totally; as with all machined items there is a minimum and maximum allowed tolerance.
I am not saying one did not get by an inspector.
But if your die were at the end of the run for that reamer, it would be a tight fit resizing. I have run into this with other dies other than Lyman.
The unsupported barrel issue I mentioned earlier will also cause brass to bulge near the base.
In my 40 S&W I was unable to size my brass. A friend that had a different brand of Dies had no trouble with this brass.
I would mic the Lyman Die, and the fired brass, if it is a slip up by Lyman and an out of spec, die, I would imagine Lyman would replace it.

eglidrider
05-25-2011, 06:16 AM
I was getting shavings from brass that I had already reloaded at least once. No one is a bigger Lyman fan than I am but I did not like that particular sizing die. I got my solution in the mail today form MidSouth......a Lee 9MM carbide sizing die. Just sized what I shot this weekend with no cleaning, no lube, no deburring, no shavings, no problems.

Say what you will about Lee, their dies are great.