PDA

View Full Version : Here's something you don't see everyday!

tinyejp
05-19-2011, 08:53 AM
A recent acquisition...$125 (about what it's worth)...
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/tinyejp/0519010819a.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/tinyejp/0519010819.jpg

It's an RG63 in .38 Special. Rohm GMBH is widely known for their extremely dismal small-caliber Saturday Night Specials. Much lesser known are their larger caliber guns like this one. The little guys are largely pot metal construction with steel barrel inserts and cylinders, while many of their larger calibers, like this one, are all steel barrel, cylinder, trigger housing, and most internals. The frame is aluminum, however, so lighter (or at most standard) loads are a must. After a little tweaking, this little fella is tight and smooth, and test-firing grouped at 1.5" at around 10 yards, although the group was high and left. As you can see, the front sight is a separate piece from the barrel, which can facilitate some adjustment, so more fiddling is required.

Anyone have a favorite .38 Special Lee mold? I have a 120gr TC I use for 9mm that drops at .358, but it's pretty light for this caliber.

hmmm...Those pictures aren't the greatest. I may have to ditch the camera phone and get out a real camera next time...

tinyejp
05-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, last evening's group must have been lucky shooting! Ran a box through today and the best 5-shot group was around 4.5". Still ok for a walking around pistol, I suppose, and I imagine I can try to tighten it up with handloads. Waiting on tooling at the moment.

This is my first .38 Special, and I like the caliber so far. Light-shooting, fair to middlin' power, and fun plinker. I'll keep it around a while!

NoZombies
05-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Try the lee TL wadcutter. It's fast casting, and loaded with a light load of bullseye, will shoot about as well as anything else does in my various .38's.

Fun little guns those, A friend had one in .32 long that he got a lot of use out of. You paid about the right price for it too.

casterofboolits
05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
A friend had one of those pot metal wonders in the late 60's and after 50 rounds of factory ammo, the barrel wallowed loose in the pot metal frame. I fixed it a bit by hard chroming the part of the barrel that fitted into the frame to get it tight again in the frame. Another 50 rounds and it was back to wobbling again. He threw it in the river!

tinyejp
05-19-2011, 05:54 PM
I have read lots of comments about using RG's as boat anchors! Sounds like he forgot the boat, though! Lol