PDA

View Full Version : 1st attempt 9mm brass to 308 jackets

coleman
05-19-2011, 03:11 AM
1st post with pics. I couldnt get all the pics to download for some reason? i will read up on that. Just let me say I dont have time to make dies for sale, I work 2 jobs so I dont have alot of time to get them done. I just wanted to show the members what i have done so far.
Started out with A2 tool steel for the dies. First reducing die started with a opening of .395 to help start the 9mm case straight for about .4 deep then a 4 degree angle to a finished diameter around .350. second die started with a diameter about .352 about .250 deep then a 4 degree angle to a finished dia. .306. I didnt harden themyet easier to modify them in the soft state then hardened.
When i was making the punches i was getting the case stuck on the punch, so I would pry the case off the punch then file it to fit and keep doint that till the case would slide off the punch, the same for the second punch. Then i measured the punches and made new ones out of 17-4 stainless steel. I was at work when i made the dies and punches so i dindt have my press with me, So I used the good ole Kurt vise to shove the case thru, i didnt anneal the cases the second time it was hard but doable.
I got home and tried to run them thru my lyman press, no luck to much pressure, I could get them to go thru in the power stroke, but not all the way thru so it looks like I have to make a swaging press to get it done. Well it is a start. Coleman

algunjunkie
05-19-2011, 03:23 AM
very nice.

can I bother you for the measurments on the punches?

BT Sniper
05-19-2011, 04:05 AM
Glad to see you posted your progress. It is a bit of a challenge for the reloading press but with additional step downs probably easier. For those that haven't tried it yet the problem is the cam/design of the press. Basicaly the point at which the most power developed in our reloading presses is in the final few tenths of an inch at the top of the stroke not leaving enough left to eject the case from the die. If you continue to adjust your die for each case sized utilizing this short power stroke it's not a problem but takes a lot longer.

Nice looking work on the machining.

I used one more additional step down from the .350 before my final .302 step. You might need to take the final diameter a few thou smaller depending on your core seat die, maybe not. I made a couple hundred the other night and still working on perfecting everything. I wasn't using a standard reloading press though I had a bit of power helping me out. I imagine any of the large corbin presses or our own Aneat designed press will have no troubles maybe a new heavy duty designed press.

Do keep us posted and I'll see if I can't add a few pics too if you like. I did make a couple bullets from the 9mmx308 and was able to get 145-150 grains from my 7.5s ogive die.

Keep at it and Swage On

BT

coleman
05-19-2011, 05:46 AM
algunjunkie,
the punch dia is .309/.265 overall lenght .8 with a 4 degree angle with a depth of .475/.397. the final size was .335/.290. The radius on the end i just filed it to fit. the measurement first are for the big punch then the little one. You can make them a little bigger if you want to. I just made a little smaller for differnt case mfg's.

BT, I am going to have to make new dies, the small one opened up to .310 just from shoving brass thru it, but that no problem already got the next one threaded for it. I might try a 10 degree angle for the reducing part, I read that on here somewhere to me that seems a little steep,but iam sure it will work if i have a good press like Aneat designed press. maybee it will lenghten the case out more? I did get a long case by having my punch to big, but try to get it off the punch... LOL. (edit) Oh yes i will need a 308 swage die from you.

here is a link for a right triangle calculator if you dont have one.

http://www.pagetutor.com/trigcalc/trig.html