PDA

View Full Version : How much did you pay for lead today?

shoez
05-18-2011, 11:52 PM
I went to a recycler today to grab some lead as I have been striking out at all my usual tire shops. On a side note, I am a local truck driver and I run about a 100 mile radius, and can't hardly get a wheel weight!!. It's getting hard. Anyway, I paid .82 cents per pound. Ouch. Got the usual, old pipe, flashing, some sinker weights, and the cool part is they hard some 20 pound ingots. That's right, I scored 106 pounds of linotype. So I don't feel as bad for the .82 part. Melted some down already, wow that is nice. Talk about shiney boolits. But, man I got to find some more wheel weights. I go through a lot of lead, about 2100 pounds in the last year.

geargnasher
05-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Wow, I'm impressed! How did you manage to shoot up over a ton in the last year and still find time to drive a truck?

I paid 75c/lb for the last two buckets of wheel weights I could find anywhere for sane prices. Had a brief supply for a while, but they went up to $2/lb and I told the guy who was buying them for me three towns away to forget it.

Gear

Gtek
05-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Just picked up 610 lbs. at recycle spot. .71 a lb. Dentist wall sheet.
Gtek
Lead is yet another excuse for the challenged children of Liberals!

XWrench3
05-19-2011, 07:17 AM
last time i checked on wheel weights, they told me sorry, no more. they signed a contract with a battery recycler. but the last bucket they sold was $40.00! the last time i had bought from them, it was $20.00, and that was only like 5 or 6 months preivious. tom brokaw had it right, "the fleecing of america". that is what everyone is doing. the problem is i am about fleeced out.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-19-2011, 07:23 AM
I just picked up a 3 gallon bucket of truck WW for $20.00 and a six pack of Busch light. It is from a small truck repair place. I get three buckets a year from there but after the 1st of January it will be illegal in Illinois to install lead WW. Grab what you can, while you can.

mac60
05-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm in the process of rounding up what I need to start casting. I got 6 buckets of wheel weights. I paid .20/lb. so I guess I got a fair deal. I bought from a recycler about a mile from where I work. I guess I need to go back and see if he's got any more!

Trey45
05-19-2011, 08:54 AM
The last time I bought WW I got a little over 350 pounds for 50 bucks. I'm buying all I can when I can get it.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
50 bucks for the last 120 pounds of WW, last week.
Found me another place that said I can HAVE them :D

Recyclers want .78/pound for lead here

Cranium
05-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I paid $1.19/lb for 130# of range lead bought off eBay. It was already fluxed a couple times and arrived at my door in nice muffin pan sized ingots (thank you USPS for the "if it fits, it ships" priority mail) so I was willing to pay a little bit of a premium for it. I'd love to find a good source of cheaper lead but have not had the motivation to start driving to tire shops and scrap yards asking for lead....yet.

I'm amazed at how cheap people are picking up lead for given that the current market value is: $1.12/lb.
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html
http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/t24_ld180x150.gif
http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/lme-warehouse-lead-5y.gif

Looking at the 1 year and 5 year stock levels, it also looks like lead is due for a crash in value. Warehouse stock levels are almost 10x what they were 4 years ago.

littlejack
05-19-2011, 03:49 PM
I checked with a fella today that owned and ran his tire store. He said he had about 200,000 pounds. I don't know if he was bs'n me or not. He ask me how much I wanted? I ask how much per pound? he replied .75 per pound.
Now, I guess I must be livin in the past, but I declined, and told him I was on disability and didn't have that kind of money to spend.
He didn't blink.
I hope he chokes on HIS ww's, and keeps them long enough that they will be worth nothing to him.
Probably not though, as long as there are fellas like you'all and me.
I absolutely hate being ripped off, especially by a local business.
Jack

Cranium
05-19-2011, 03:52 PM
So would $0.70/lb be a good price for ingots from WW that have been fluxed?

fredj338
05-19-2011, 04:21 PM
I checked with a fella today that owned and ran his tire store. He said he had about 200,000 pounds. I don't know if he was bs'n me or not. He ask me how much I wanted? I ask how much per pound? he replied .75 per pound.
Now, I guess I must be livin in the past, but I declined, and told him I was on disability and didn't have that kind of money to spend.
He didn't blink.
I hope he chokes on HIS ww's, and keeps them long enough that they will be worth nothing to him.
Probably not though, as long as there are fellas like you'all and me.
I absolutely hate being ripped off, especially by a local business.
Jack
If it's all lead ww, you may want that price a year from now.[smilie=b: As lead ww get banned across the country, they will become very hard to get.

geargnasher
05-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Based upon market value, 75 cents a pound isn't unfair at all. You're forgetting that the clip-ons and many of the fancy, cast stick-ons have somewhere around three percent antimony, and that stuff is about fifteen times the cost of lead alone, and there is at least SOME tin in there, so that makes WW alloy worth even more than pure lead.

A fair market price for WW would be close to $1.00/lb accounting for the average loss due to steel clips/junk weight and the cost of smelting them into ingots.

Gear

joejr
05-19-2011, 08:07 PM
i picked 2 pounds of fiddleheads and traded them for 10 pounds of pure lead.
joejr

USSR
05-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I picked up the last of the pure lead locally at $.65 per pound. There is a 55 gallon drum of WW's that they want $.55 per pound for.

Don

white eagle
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
just picked some up for .35 a #

Cowboy T
05-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Just got a 5-gallon bucketfull for FREE! No, I'm not telling you where. :D

Lizard333
05-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm still paying 20$ a 5 gallon bucket. Getting all I can...........

BMWrider
05-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Talked to a plumbing company this morning. They have old lead pipe and flashing they pull from houses and will sell it at $0.39/lb. I'm still casting from my last batch of free wheel weights, but I think the days of free lead are almost history.

Jailer
05-19-2011, 11:33 PM
I think you are right BMWrider just for the simple fact that everyone is trying to cash in. I used to be able to get free wheel weights from a couple of sources but they have all started charging. Luckily I have a couple guys that I've made contact with that are looking out for me and I ended up with a score like this one below for $100.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/Wheelweights.jpg

Pertsev
05-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Purchased a small amount of WW from local scrap yard Monday @ 78cent/lb.
He charges more for soft lead,98cents/lb. Galena was smiling at me,picked up almost 400lbs of linotype in what looked like fresh pigs @ the 98cent price.Very happy :p
Just a few months ago was paying 58cents for WW.
Nice thing is the guys at the yard help me out and sometimes there is tin or solder in the lead barrel.
Seems like metal buying is the way to go,gold,silver or lead.

shoez
05-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Wow, I'm impressed! How did you manage to shoot up over a ton in the last year and still find time to drive a truck?

I paid 75c/lb for the last two buckets of wheel weights I could find anywhere for sane prices. Had a brief supply for a while, but they went up to $2/lb and I told the guy who was buying them for me three towns away to forget it.

Gear

I wish I could say I got to shoot it up. I've been selling my boolits (over 60,000 so far) to try to make extra money. I'm a truck driver for a concrete construction supply company, so over the last couple of years things have leaned out, especially the winters. I figured I had this equipment, might as well use it. Beats getting a part time job at min. wage. I can cast bullets in my garage with my little tv on, and maybe even crack a cold coor's light open once in a while. I know the boss real well, and have no co-workers. Not too bad of working conditions for a few hours a week!:drinks:

the good news is, I make enough to buy a tank of gas or two everyweek, and my own personal stash of boolits are free. So, if I was just casting for myself, I wouldnt need so much. I had gotten so much free ww's when I first started casting, that I didn't need any for years. Those days are gone.

michiganvet
06-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I am glad that I scored a major amount of Pb in the 80's after turning a lot of linotype from a school print shop in the 70's for just a little labor into Lyman #2.

selmerfan
06-18-2011, 08:17 PM
The most I've ever paid for lead/WWs is $.45/lb at the Cenex shop a few weeks ago. Other than that $0-$20/5 gal pail. $1.25 for monotype a couple of years ago.

klutz347
06-18-2011, 08:25 PM
$202 for about 4 lbs.

Bought a couple tires and the guy threw a couple handfuls of their used weights in with the old tires.

Asked if they sold the weights but got the "We got a contract" story so I was happy with what I got.

303Guy
06-18-2011, 08:36 PM
I got mine for 2 NZ$ a kg including soldered joints for scrap lead drain pipe. I forgot how bad it smells when smelted down. Now I remember! I've now got some 19kg's pf homogenized alloy that won't stink when added to the pot. It's pretty soft when cast cool and slow set. I should try heat treating some to see what happens. Anyway, it is high in tin and has some WW mixed in.

Lizard333
06-18-2011, 09:18 PM
After going three states away from house I manger to find a steal!! I just got 800 lbs of wheel weights for free!!! The guy practically begged me to take them off his hands. He said he couldn't by rid of them because they were considered toxic waste. I gladly took all he had. My truck drove a little funny on the way home but it was worth it!!

jetsfan-24
06-18-2011, 10:07 PM
118 pounds for 15 dollars i won,t pay more than 20 cent a pound and i have over 3000 pounds already and getting 100 to 200 pounds more every week so i think i,m good 2 go lol

dudel
06-19-2011, 10:24 AM
$.30 / pound. I don't feel too bad about the price since they cull out all the valve stems, cig butts, razor blades, lug nuts and most of the non lead weights in the pound. It's mostly stickons with a few large truck weights thrown in.

I show up with a 5 gallon bucket, they hang it on a scale and we drop good stuff in the bucket till it gets to 60 pounds or so.

Shiloh
06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Nothing but sweat equity and gas to the range. Took another 50 lbs. or so. Wheel weights have all but dried up. For me, they are getting REAL hard to find. The salvage yard won't sell them anymore and tires and service shops have contracts with vendors. A real shame.

Shiloh

JIMinPHX
06-19-2011, 04:02 PM
The price of a 25 pound bag of lead shot at my local big box store is back up to $44.