PDA

View Full Version : .54 TC Maxi Ball mould, opinions?

Canuck Bob
05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
I found an old stock .54 TC maxi Ball mould in a gun store for $30. I was going to buy it for my Lyman Deerstalker but got distracted and forgot.

Can anyone enlighten me on these molds and if they are of decent quality. I wish I had more info but the package did not list the bullet weight just 54 Maxi Ball. I thought it was a single cavity but again I forgot to confirm that. It is a small mold and felt like it was iron?

My Lyman is a 1:48 twist rifle. I was considering a Lee REAL mold to go with my regular patched ball shooting, but a quick search suggests guys like the TC style too.

It has no handles of course. Anyone know what handles fit?

If handles are commonly available and it will work in my gun's twist it is a no-brainer for the price. Opinions anyone?

MT Gianni
05-18-2011, 11:06 PM
They are labelled TC but I believe made on contract by someone else. Lymans' DC handles fit as well as Lee's. The molds were made of a softer Meehenite than Lymans' blend IIIRC. I shoot a 50 out of a TC Hawken with good results. Mine cost around $20 ten years ago or more.

stubshaft
05-18-2011, 11:48 PM
My T/C marked Maxi-Ball and Maxi Hunters were made of anodized aluminum ( at least the .45, .50 and .54 that I have are). Used to come on a card with plastic laminated over it. Lyman produced steel Maxi molds for a while.

Canuck Bob
05-18-2011, 11:51 PM
My T/C marked Maxi-Ball and Maxi Hunters were made of anodized aluminum ( at least the .45, .50 and .54 that I have are). Used to come on a card with plastic laminated over it. Lyman produced steel Maxi molds for a while.

That is how this is, blister pack. remembered it was #7292. Do you like the moulds and thier cast bullets?

MtGun44
05-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Have and have used one in 50 cal. Mold is fine, no particular issues. Boolit is excellent
design, at least in .50 cal in my Hawken.

Bill

stubshaft
05-19-2011, 02:00 AM
I was a casting fool with those molds. Get the alloy HOT and go to town. One of the best things with BP is that if the boolit or ball in this case is .003" out of round it DOESN'T MATTER. They were/are easy to cast with and the boolits they produced shot very well for me in guns with the proper twist.

myfriendis410
05-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I have that exact mold and cast for my old smokepole. When I could actually see, I shot a 3 shot group that cloverleafed at 100 with that bullet. Pure lead.

35remington
05-19-2011, 07:02 PM
As an owner of a .54 1-48 Renegade, I must caution you that many of them are allergic to the Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters of heavier weight (400 plus grains) and show their displeasure by grouping poorly with them.

A little more twist would be better with a conical. Haven't had any luck getting a .50 to shoot with a 370 Max Ball either, this also of 1-48 persuasion.

If your rifle has a known ability to shoot this weight (by some miracle) then have at it. My TC .50 and .54 moulds will not be mistaken for a Hoch or Hensley and Gibbs but they do produce serviceable bullets that will shoot in a rifle with enough (more) twist.

They just don't in mine. FWIW.

I wound up shortening my .54 Maxi Hunter mould by one band, to 330 down from 430 grains, and now it shoots like a house afire in the Renegade. That's an option with a Maxi Hunter but cannot be done with a Maxi Ball due to the different shape of the bullet.

Larry Gibson
05-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I also have the .50 cal TC mould and it is giving excellent service.

Larry Gibson

Canuck Bob
05-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks to everyone. I visited the gunshop and the owner made me a heck of a deal to take the mold.

I figure if it doesn't group I'll have a nice trading mould.

MT Gianni
05-19-2011, 11:42 PM
TC used to sell two separate weights of bullets but I am not sure if they sold two different weights of molds.