PDA

View Full Version : Ejection problem with LNL

05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
New LNL press. have only loaded .45's and .40'so far. About 1 in every 15 or so rounds will not eject properly. The rim of the shell seems to get stuck between the shell plate and subplate. Federal, CCI, and CBC(?) shells. Some, when re-run, ejected properly. The Federal brass that were not ejected properly, again were not ejected properly.(hope that made sense) Its as if the rims were thinner, or bevelled more than the other brass...?'

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm waiting for a response from Tech support... I'm guessing they'll want to replace the subplate.

Colorado4wheel
05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Polish the Shellplate with a Dremel. They need to be a bit slicker.

05-18-2011, 04:24 PM
where?

ReloaderFred
05-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I take my shellplates and polish the mouths of the case slots with a Dremel tool and a very fine Cratex wheel. Then I take a felt wheel and finish the polish with some Flitz. This cures the problems with my LNL. I also polished the groove the shellholder spring travels in, along with any transition points, which helps keep it from getting kinked.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Colorado4wheel
05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Exactly.

Dorf
05-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Pull the shellplate and look at the little protrusion at the 10 o'clock position (as you stand facing the press) that hits the rim of the loaded cartridge, ejecting it. On my press the milling operation left a small "shelf" at the base of the boss that a couple of passes with a flat file remmoved and cured the problem. Hope this helps. Stan.

05-18-2011, 05:15 PM
I see...

August
05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Are you using shell plate #45, or shell plate #1 ???

noylj
05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
You need to be using the newest shellplates and not new-old-stock.
Also, for .45 Auto, you need shellplate 45.
You can send a picture of a shellplate that is giving you problems to Hornady or call them.

05-18-2011, 11:04 PM
new #45...and #10 plates

Hornady tech said to make sure the "ejector" on the subplate wasn't rounded on the edges. So, I sharpened the edges up with a file and polished with a stone.

I "ran" the 125 rounds I loaded last night back through the press with no dies(.40's). 11 rounds did not eject. 6 of these were Federal brass. Others were CCI, RP, and Speer. Ran these again. Same problem.

Of the 125 rounds, there were a total of 8 Federal brass, 2 CCI, 5 RP, 2 Speer...balance was Winchester and CBC(?). The 2 Federal rounds that were not a problem were nickel plated.

I'm sensing a trend...

noylj
05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
I started off with the very first Hornady AP (Pro-7?). None of the models ever produced go ejection and I simply knocked the loaded case out with my small finger as I was getting ready to load the empty cast and bullet. Never seemed worth the hassle to worry about. The new EZject works very well for me but I hated having to buy or upgrade my shell plates.

Hardcast416taylor
05-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I tried to use the case ejector on my up-graded Pro-Jector press. I had the correct new shell plates for it and polished the case holder areas. It just never worked reliably. I finally got tired of chasing ejected loaded rounds across the floor where the ejector arm threw the sticking case when it finally ejected it, so I took the entire ejector assembly off the press. I came to a similar assumption about the prime on press mechanism and took that off also. I have no problem priming off press or removing loaded rounds from the shell plate. I just sold the auto powder drop kit as I had problems with it not being 100 per cent positive with dropping a charge.Robert

Colorado4wheel
05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
new #45...and #10 plates

Hornady tech said to make sure the "ejector" on the subplate wasn't rounded on the edges. So, I sharpened the edges up with a file and polished with a stone.

I "ran" the 125 rounds I loaded last night back through the press with no dies(.40's). 11 rounds did not eject. 6 of these were Federal brass. Others were CCI, RP, and Speer. Ran these again. Same problem.

Of the 125 rounds, there were a total of 8 Federal brass, 2 CCI, 5 RP, 2 Speer...balance was Winchester and CBC(?). The 2 Federal rounds that were not a problem were nickel plated.

I'm sensing a trend...

Do it with real ammo not empty cases. They don't behave the same.

truckmsl
05-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I was having similar problems and called hornady after trying polishing, etc. They sent me a new subplate and the problem disappeared. Many thousands loaded in several calibers since, with no further problems, regardless of brass head stamp.

05-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Colorado: Rounds were loaded.

truckmsl..thats good to know. How long ago?

Doug, the tech I spoke to at Hornady told me he hadn't heard of this issue previously.

Colorado4wheel
05-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Colorado: Rounds were loaded.

truckmsl..thats good to know. How long ago?

Doug, the tech I spoke to at Hornady told me he hadn't heard of this issue previously.

I am sorry to hear that. I finally gave up on my LnL. Lots of people love them. Little things about them bug the heck out of me. Well, that and it wouldn't prime below flush to save it's life. Even after a new frame and lots of special parts from Hornady. My Dillon 650 works great. My 550 worked great. I just had a itch to try the LnL and found it needed a lot of TLC. Polish this part, set this other thing up "just right" I finally gave up and got a 650. To be fair, the ejection issue was easy to solve on my press. Yours may be different.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2011, 06:43 AM
I have an occasional problem with ejecting but more with 223 and 308 then i do with acps. Ive got two of the new presses with the new ejection system and one of the old ones with the wire ejector and id have to say i like the older system better. Only problem is it takes away your ability to use a crimp die in the forth station. Im sure thats why they changed it. It sure wasnt because they wanted a more reliable system.

05-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I polished up the shell plate with a Dremel as suggested. Ran about 100 loaded rounds through it, some that were a problem before, and all ejected properly.

I hope this is the cure.

truckmsl
05-20-2011, 11:18 AM
468 - Hornady replaced my subplate toward the end of last year.

I've had other small issues, such as having to file the nut down on the large primer punch assembly to get reliable seating of large rifle primers, but a small amount of "tweaking" really doesn't bother me since I am used to making adjustments to various types of machinery.

I can see where some folks who may not have the analytical or mechanical skills, or desire, to address these issues may be unhappy with the LNL, and would rather pay more to avoid them.

As a side note, I have had dies with decapper pins that had sharp edges on the tip which actually held onto the old primer enough to slightly pull it back into the primer pocket enough to hang up the indexing of the press. If this is happening, it's easy to mistake it for the ejector hanging up, since the end effiect is the same. Rounding off the end of the decapper pin solved this for me.

Colorado4wheel
05-20-2011, 05:54 PM
This

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3487.jpg

vs

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3486.jpg

I filed the nut down before that. It's Half A$$ to do it like that. The primer punch simply is to short and has a very small stroke. Dillon's is 4 times as long and has much longer stroke. It's just not a great design in that area. If yours works your Golden. If the tolerance's stack up in the wrong direction for you, your screwed. That's why some people are happy and other simply are not. I would ask for the subplate like in my picture #1 with the recessed primer nut area. Thats the right fix.

06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Update: I polished the shell plates as suggested. Used dremel tool with felt pad and metal polish. Have since loaded 500 to 750 rounds(.40s, .45s, 10s) with NO ejection issues.

Thanks for the advice.

Colorado4wheel
06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Glad it worked out for you.