View Full Version : Buying black power

fiatmom
05-18-2011, 09:26 AM
[smilie=b:
Graffs told me I need a black powder licence to buy bkakpowder. : (
How do people buy in bulk?

Don McDowell
05-18-2011, 09:40 AM
:?: That's odd,I don't hold a blackpowder license anymore, but I buy lots of powder from Grafs. You might want to check with them again.
The first order you place with Powder Inc. you need to fill out a form they have, but there after you're good togo.
Neither place can ship more than 50lbs to one address, and some states have restrictions on how much, etc you can buy.

waksupi
05-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Never heard of such a thing. If they have made some new rule, use a different vendor.

cajun shooter
05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
How did you word your request for the purchase of the powder? Go to the Graf's web site and key in the powder section. When it shows the Graf's house brand put in the amount you want and see if it's in the cart. If so just empty cart and make what order you need. You either talked to a new person or made the wrong request would be my guess as I have made BP orders from them before myself. Powder inc may be cheaper after you add the Hazmat and shipping cost.

Maven
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
fiatmom, Take a look at this...and nothing but a driver's license required:

I recently ordered some BP (Diamondback) from Jon Blackert of Crater Black Powder Blasting & Fireworks and was extremely pleased with his selelction, prices (even with shipping & Hazmat), and service. His homepage & e-mail are addictedtoblackpowder.com and pyro247@hotmail.com or jonblackert@frontier.net Here's the website info: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html

Yellowhouse
05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
My guess is miscommunication. Anyone can order as stated above unless there are state restrictions. However, you cannot get dealer discounts without a license.

Baja_Traveler
05-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I just got 5 pounds from Graffs a few days ago - no ID (other than to show the UPS guy) no problems...

I'm definitely ordering from Crater next time though - 2 bucks a pound cheaper than the next best alternative (Maine Powder House).

oldracer
05-18-2011, 05:50 PM
In the year I have been shooting BPCRs I have bought all my FFG from Coonies. They are a GREAT bunch to deal with. The only disconcerting thing I found was that UPS which handles all the BP shipping just drops the powder at my front door, no adult or any signature required on a box that has a lot of nice bright warning labels all over it! UPS said nothing was required.........

Kraschenbirn
05-18-2011, 06:44 PM
'Bout six weeks ago, I picked up 5# of Ffg (along with next year's supply of smokeless) from Graf's as I was passing though the area. No license/ID required and I only had to sign the invoice 'cause I was paying by credit card.

Bill

Jon K
05-19-2011, 12:51 AM
fiatmom,

Did you try to buy as a dealer?, or ask for a dealer discount?

Then... yes you need an explosives license.

As an individual, you fill out a release form stating individual sporting use, and once it's on file you're good to go.

Pretty basic stuff, all dealers like Graf, Powder Inc, Maine Powder House, etc require the standard stuff.

Jon

waksupi
05-19-2011, 01:35 AM
fiatmom,

Did you try to buy as a dealer?, or ask for a dealer discount?

Then... yes you need an explosives license.

As an individual, you fill out a release form stating individual sporting use, and once it's on file you're good to go.

Pretty basic stuff, all dealers like Graf, Powder Inc, Maine Powder House, etc require the standard stuff.

Jon

Sounds like someone was trying to pull a fast one to get a dealers discount, and got caught. No sympathy.

fiatmom
05-19-2011, 09:09 AM
You are right about being a dealer. I registered with a c/r licence at one time even though I was buying the powder as an individual they still had me on record.

Don McDowell
05-19-2011, 09:22 AM
So then it's safe to assume they told you to get powder at wholesalers prices you needed an explosives license, and not that you needed the license just to buy powder......TSK,tsk,tsk...

fiatmom
05-19-2011, 09:35 AM
How can Jon's prices be that much cheaper? $9/lb is really cheap for ELEPHANT POWDERS.
and $13 for SCHUETZEN POWDERS, at $18 I can even afford Swiss. : )
I have heard good things about these powders.

Yance
05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
You are right about being a dealer. I registered with a c/r licence at one time even though I was buying the powder as an individual they still had me on record.

If you no longer maintain your 03 FFL then tell them.

I ordered some brass a few weeks ago via regular order, not the dealer section. A nice lady called me to ask why I didn't use the dealer order and asked if I was going to let my license expire. I told her no, so it was processed as a dealer order, and I wound up paying about $8.00 MORE than a regular person.

I shop Graf's only if I can't find it ANYWHERE else.

doubs43
05-19-2011, 12:53 PM

I list the items I plan on ordering. Then I list all of the places I can find those things. Under each name I show the asking price for each thing and finally the shipping costs. Graf is often the cheapest and their service has been excellent. The $4.95 total shipping and insurance often makes the difference.

There's probably not a company out there with total customer satisfaction so my experience and the experiences of others may not be the same. If I have a bad experience with a company then I'll avoid them just as most people will. So far, Graf & Sons have been good to me and I've used them for at least 25 years.

trooperdan
05-19-2011, 01:54 PM
If you no longer maintain your 03 FFL then tell them.

I ordered some brass a few weeks ago via regular order, not the dealer section. A nice lady called me to ask why I didn't use the dealer order and asked if I was going to let my license expire. I told her no, so it was processed as a dealer order, and I wound up paying about $8.00 MORE than a regular person.

Yance, I don't understand how ordering as a dealer costs you more than a non-dealer! Can you give a bit more detail?

Don McDowell
05-19-2011, 05:08 PM
If you order as a dealer from Grafs you pay the freight.

kywoodwrkr
05-21-2011, 02:07 PM
If you order as a dealer from Grafs you pay the freight.
They frosted my chops the last time I ordered from them
Ordered a Lyman 2500 Vibrating system and had to order something else for minimum, so got Lee book and press.
They shipped both in same box, a very large box, which resulted in higher than normal UPS charges.
They sank below Midway on my shopping list.
And that is verrrry looooow.

ambergrifleman
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Powder, Inc. Is a Nice Place to Deal with.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-18-2011, 09:55 PM
fiatmom, Take a look at this...and nothing but a driver's license required:

I recently ordered some BP (Diamondback) from Jon Blackert of Crater Black Powder Blasting & Fireworks and was extremely pleased with his selelction, prices (even with shipping & Hazmat), and service. His homepage & e-mail are addictedtoblackpowder.com and pyro247@hotmail.com or jonblackert@frontier.net Here's the website info: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html

i was at Jon's place today and picked up some black , I aranged this ahead of time he does not have an open store and pick ups have to be arranged with a weeks notice, Ill residents can only get 5 pounds
those of us in WI can get up to 50 pounds at a time with only our drivers license,

to original poster: Grafs may have seen your address and known or assumed some ordinance requiring a license , not sure. you should make sure there is not local or state ordinance before trying to order. please do not ask Jon or any one else to ship you anything they shouldn't they have enough government rules special licenses and such that they don't need any more problems , and the rest of us black users don't need someone testing the system wrong , ill conceived , or plane stupid as the rules may be don't wreck it for the rest of us. if you have checked all local and state laws and none prohibit you from receiving/purchasing / storing ,black powder then thank you for checking our suppliers are few and far between we don't need to loose any more to foolishness.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
How can Jon's prices be that much cheaper? $9/lb is really cheap for ELEPHANT POWDERS.
and $13 for SCHUETZEN POWDERS, at $18 I can even afford Swiss. : )
I have heard good things about these powders.

low , overhead

i was there to day , no sign , no markings , just a farm in the middle of no where , Ill

elephant powders , are new old stock the ,diamond back is new from what he told me i got some of each

we have been using the elephant with good results in muzzle loaders haven't tried in cartridge yet.