PDA

View Full Version : lee bench plate

edsmith
05-17-2011, 10:54 PM
I received a lee bench plate today, I installed it in about 10 min. I had my lee turret mounted and I had some flex from the bench top, after installing the bench plate there is no flex at all. it is rock solid. I am suprised on how solid it is.:drinks:

Colorado4wheel
05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Interesting. I would have expected the opposite. I guess it does spread the load out over a larger area. The wood just looks flexible. Glad you like it.

noylj
05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I just don't see it making the press more ridgid than it would be directly mounted to the bench.
I think it is great for small things like the Lee Reloader Press and case trimmers and such.
Now, if someone was making aluminum or steel plates to replace the wood and the person strengthened the bench, I could see it being a winner.
Of course, almost every YouTube video of a Lee press seems to show an awful lot of flex. I wonder how many problems wth the LoadMaster can be directly solved by eliminating the bench flex?

Reverend Recoil
05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I have three of them. Two of them are on a computer table in a bed room. The feature I like best is to be able to clear the computer table of reloading presses for other uses. They work quite well. Sometimes I have to re-tighten the base clamp screws during resizing. For a long session of case resizing I further tighten the plywood base down with a C-clamp. It works just fine. The base stays tight durning bullet seating. Presses mounted are: RCBS JR3, Redding turret, Redding C-press, Lyman Spartan, Lyman 450, and Lee Reloader. I also mounted a small 2" jewler's vise.

I think the bench block make the press mount more ridgid by spreading the bending load to a larger area of the bench top and further from the edge. You could do the same thing with a metal plate bolted between the press and bench top.

If I build another work table/reloading bench it will have a Lee Bench Block on it

edsmith
05-19-2011, 11:21 PM
my bench plate blocks are hardwood, not plywood. so far they have remained tight.i just resized about 100 30-06 to 308 and no flex.I am going to make a few blocks from plywood for a deprimer and a powder measure, I will try one on my turret press to see if it gets loose, I think it will. make a few blocks from hardwood, see if that helps. ed