PDA

View Full Version : Forming 32 Win Special

Rich/WIS
05-17-2011, 07:46 PM
My son in law has his grandpa's 32 Win 94 and would like to shoot it. I found a set of Herters dies at a yard sale and half a box of 170gr bullets but don't have brass. I have a LOT of 30-30 and was thinking of just running some of it through the 32 SP sizer to size the case and expand the neck. Was wondering if this is a workable solution to my shortage of brass. Haven't seen the rifle yet to determine bore condition, but if it is good might consider casting bullets for it, or buying some to try, any thoughts on that?

felix
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Perfecto! ... felix

sargenv
05-17-2011, 08:37 PM
I've gone the other direction.... 32 win spl to 30-30..

Sanchez
05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
any thoughts on that?
It should go just fine, assuming the fired brass is in workable condition & trimmed to proper OAL.

Would suggest that ya lube the HECK out of the neck's ID & confirm that the expander ball/cylinder on yer decapper assy is smooth/clean/ungalled. Polish it if necessary.

After resizing, look inside the neck for any linear streaks, & if any are present - polish the expander.

If neck splits do somehow show-up after firing & the above operations, just anneal the case necks before resizing for the next lot.

45-70 Ranger
05-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Ah, I did this for many years when I had an old '94 in 32Spl. It was an easy and cheap way to get my brass for that one. Never had a problem. I did have a 30-30 then as well. To keep me from getting mixed up with the headstamps being the same, I'd stain the head of the 32's to make them stand out as different from the clean 30-30's. Just my way of keeping safe.

As the others stated so well above, your dies do make the difference. Have fun!

Wade