PDA

View Full Version : Powdery lead

largecaliberman
05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
After a couple of months of not resizing bullets I decided to do some sizing and reloasding. I had some bullets that was put away in a airtight ammo can for a couple of months and in it, it had a tray that was sized a couple months ago that was stored on the tray with the rest of the bullets that were not sized. The ones that weren't sized were bright and shiny. However, the ones that were sized with Lyman Moly had these powdery substance all over them. The two batches of bullets were made from the same alloy.

Can anyone out there let me know what is it or what is happening here? :(

captaint
05-18-2011, 12:04 AM
LCM - My guess would be that your sized boolits were oxidizing for some reason. Maybe a reaction due to the lube??? Also, the humidity in the container could have been higher that normal room humidity, again due to the lube. Only thing that makes sense to me.. enjoy Mike

lavenatti
05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Does it wipe off? I'm thinking if both sets of bullets were stored together it wouldn't have much to do with the environment.

Is it a thin layer of lube that went funny?

largecaliberman
05-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I finally got my answer and I contacted a good friend of mine who is also a chemistry teacher at one of the highest and what he said was a solvent that is found in the boolit lubricant was pretty throughout the surface of the bullet which is also carrying the moly lube.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback regard appreciated.