PDA

View Full Version : Pay dirt!

selmerfan
05-17-2011, 04:04 PM
As I'm fairly new in town (<1 year) I'm still hitting the small shops and such looking for tin and lead and alloys. I stopped in at the radiator shop looking for drippings, but he doesn't hardly use solder anymore with all of the plastic tanks on the road. He wondered why, and I told him I cast boolits and also look for wheelweights. He said he's save the few he gets for me. I told him I'd be back when I need radiator work done. Well, I've got a leak on my 1999 Suburban. I called him today to find out when to bring it in, explained who I was and he said, "That's right, weren't you looking for wheelweights too? I've got a whole bunch here that I found. You can have them." :drinks: I'm taking it in tomorrow.

beagle
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
That's the way to make contacts and get WWs./beagle

selmerfan
05-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, "a whole bunch" is relative to whether you're a mechanic or a casting fanatic - I got a free Coleman white gas can heaped full with wheelweights - 25 or 30 lbs - but it was free! Then I had the most OCD experience I've had buying wheelweights. A local tireshop had about 5 gallons worth, solid lead clip-ons, no trash. They said the battery guy gives them $.45/lb, so they'd sell them to me for that. They weighed them and everything, wrote up a ticket for the front counter, tax, etc, etc. Never had anyone do anything but put my cash in a petty cash envelope or get on the phone and order pizza for the crew...