PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Linings

P.K.
05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
I have a question about chrome lined barrels and the effects if any in reaming the bore. The chamber is set to the original SAMMI standards. I don't plan on shooting tactical loads but if the bore can be reamed to SPC II without any issues it would be nice not having to worry about pressures when working up loads.

Specifficly Ruger, do they line the barrel before or after chambering? I have tried calling their customer service but I can't get anyone to tell me yea or nay.

THX:drinks:

leftiye
05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Chrome is plated on, it will come off if you are able to ream it sucessfully. Also it is very hard stuff, and will probly ruin anything except a solid carbide reamer (never seen one of those BTW) plus a carbide reamer may well chip or shatter if used to cut in chrome.

P.K.
05-18-2011, 08:37 AM
O-K, good enough. THX!

Moonie
05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Over at 68forums.com there is a sticky on reaming chromed barrels. I haven't read it as my upper is a Bison and has the spec II chamber from the factory.

P.K.
05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Over at 68forums.com there is a sticky on reaming chromed barrels. I haven't read it as my upper is a Bison and has the spec II chamber from the factory.

Thanks, I've read it already. I will prolly not do it at all because anything I drop a hog or a deer with will do the same for the critter coming in the door at 0 dark thirty. :bigsmyl2:

Moonie
05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Lol, it is a wise man that understands you do not have to squeeze every last FPS out of a cartridge that you possibly can.