PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 50 BMG on an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme

RGMJ
05-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Hi Guys,

I was reading a product review post on the Rock CHucker Supreme press at MidwayUSA website. One reviewer mentions that he uses the press to load 50 BMG by removing the press bushing, using Lee 50 bmg dies and a Hornady 50 BMG shell holder.

Has anyone tried this? Is it workable? Is the press tall enough to accomodate the 50 bmg case?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

bobthenailer
05-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I would also be intrested as my friend is soon going to get a 50 bmg . and wants to reload for it.
HE is going to make his bullets on a auto cnc machine with auto stock feed with some special steel alloy with some precentage of lead in it alloy ! i cant remember the # of the alloy for sure .
but we estamate our cost would be from 32 to 39 cents a bullet and could be made approx 1 bullet every minute or so .

zuke
05-17-2011, 09:01 AM
I have a friend that use's a LEE classic cast for that purpose.

rockrat
05-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Just get the Lee classic cast 50bmg kit. Dies, press, trimmer, primer seater and all. Best bang for your buck. I use Hornady lube with my 50. Lee stuff is just not up to the task, in my opinion. Remember to lube the inside of the case necks before sizing.

midnight
05-17-2011, 11:15 AM
I got the Lee setup too. It works fine but I've always liked and used Vickerman seating dies and when I found one for the BMG I had to get it. It's 1 ½ in. so now I need a bigger press. Jumped in feet first and bought the Hornady press and dies. The Hornady press is identical to the RCBS press except it uses the "lock n load" method to attach the shellholder to the ram. I still use the Lee for priming and the factory crimp die. There are so many more tools available in 1½ in. dies. The CH4D bullet puller is 1½ in. and uses standard R8 collets which are cheaper than collets for the Hornady puller. Bushing neck dies from CH4D are also 1½in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the Lee works fine for what it does and does not break the bank to start out. But eventually you will want to do more & 1½in. dies are the way to go.
My Lee setup cost $177 so you can't go wrong. $177 is a drop in the bucket compared to all the rest you will spend on the BMG.

Bob

W.R.Buchanan
05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Midnight: A little tid bit of info for you. Hardinge makes R8 collets in any decimal or metric size up to 7/8"

They are special order when you get away from standard fractional sizes (1/16ths) but they can be made for any bullet size you want, and they are not that expensive.

Hardinge makes just about every type of collet known to man. They have a complete 1" thick catalog of all the different collet styles from WW (Levin Jewelers Lathe) to mega Multispindle Screw Machine Collets.

Also, they are just about the best collets that are made by anyone.

Randy

bbqncigars
05-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Some use 13mm collets, but I've had good luck with using the cheaper 33/64" 5C collet. Yeah, it's a Hardinge.

Rick459
05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
RGMJ,
i don't load for the .50 BMG but i just happen to own a RC supreme and have a .50 BMG case laying around. here is a photo of the .50 BMG case in the press on top of a shell holder. as you can see it's pretty tight in there. maybe the LCT is a little taller. the opening in the RC supreme is 4 1/2" the problem i see using the RC supreme might be bullet seating. HTH
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture266.jpg

1hole
05-18-2011, 03:46 PM
"it uses the "lock n load"

Roughly half of what Hornady has in their catalog these days seems to carry that silly "LnL" advertizing moniker ... so it's long since lost any meaning!

bbqncigars
05-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Loading for the .50BMG is a whole 'nother world from the usual reloading. There are NO SAAMI specs for one. Brass prep can be a real PITA, and resizing some milsurp M2 brass could strain Hercules. I would advise anyone seriously into shooting this round to join the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association. Even if it's just for one year, the knowledge you'll gain can save you from wasting a lot of money on unsuitable gear.

HANDYMAN
05-19-2011, 10:29 PM
If your gonna spend the money on the gun, high power scope, the ammo, and all the other stuff that goes with the big fifty don't skimp and go with the RCBS or Hornady loading setup. Will the cheaper stuff work... maybe... but trust me you won't be sorry when you try to size one that is a little tough! Just pulling the neck sizing button back through if I forget to lube the inside will lift my steel bench off the ground.

rockrat
05-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Forgot to add. Even though I told you to get the Lee deal, I use an RCBS Ammomaster for loading, but I use the Lee dies that came with my press kit. I only use the Lee for seating primers. Might seem like a waste of money, but the Lee kit was cheaper than dies only at the time.

Second on the FCSA for info. Been a member for about 22 years

midnight
05-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Listen to rockrat. He was very helpful to me when I started loading cast bullets in the BMG. They say a sailboat is a hole in the water you throw money into, the same can be said for the BMG. The Lee seats my primers and the Lee Factory Crimp die takes the necessary flare out when adjusted properly. I don't even deprime with the Hornady press. I made a case holder and punch and drive them out with a beater aka hammer. All I have to do with the FL die is size and that still takes a lot of force. The Vickerman seater can only be used for jacketed bullets. I suppose I could seat cast bullets too if I sized them to 0.510 which I won't do. Sorry I rambled a little but my point is, rockrat has a lot of good info, listen to him.

Bob

AZBen
11-17-2015, 03:26 PM
I was in FCSA for a while but had to sell XM107 for cash to build my workshop. Now I'm back and want to confirm what I read above in this thread. I like the Rock Chucker Supreme, and I have Lee dies. Is it true they both are 1-1/4 - 12? And above is suggestion of a Hornady 50 BMG shell holder for the Rock Chucker Supreme. But on Midway there's too many options to choose from. What is the part number of the 50 BMG shell holder that fits a Rock Chucker Supreme?

Ben

EDG
11-18-2015, 05:42 PM
What you need for this round is the US Government specification number for the entire round and each of the components. They can be found on line.
There are also CIP drawings if you are decent at trigonometry you can convert the dimensions to the SAAMI format.

Loading for the .50BMG is a whole 'nother world from the usual reloading. There are NO SAAMI specs for one. Brass prep can be a real PITA, and resizing some milsurp M2 brass could strain Hercules. I would advise anyone seriously into shooting this round to join the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association. Even if it's just for one year, the knowledge you'll gain can save you from wasting a lot of money on unsuitable gear.