PDA

View Full Version : What are the most intersting and coolest things that you have learned on CASTBOOLITS?

mpbarry1
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM
First off, the best thing about this site are the people! Man, not a bad apple in the bunch so far. I have been addicted to this place since I found it. It is well run, layed out, and has some awesome programming. So thank you for putting it together! OK my top 5 coolest things... so far.

5. Chewing tabacco comes from a small area in North Carolina and a strain called (edit) "Dark Tabacco from the Black Patch". lots of interesting info. Tried to find that post again, but I lost it.

4. You can tumble lube any boolit. ( what can i say, I'm green, but I did learn to spell Boolit).

3. Recipe for 45-45-10 and the chemistry of lead alloys. Also a black power recipe! Makes me feel like an alchemist. Very thankful for the Ingots to Targets Link.

2. Paper patching and gas checks make a boolit go faster without leading. Much faster than I thought you could get em. I still have a lot of studying to do.

1. Just looking at a picture of a H&G #68 mold should bring a man to the brink of arousal. I would be afraid to actually hold one.

Thank you all for such a great site. If my wife doesnt disconnect my internet, I'll be here a lot. :popcorn:

Smoke-um if you got-um
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I really liked the 45/45/10 lube info because I had been using straight Alox for years. I started paper patching back when I first saw Quigley Down Under and never truly had repeatable results until I hooked with some of the guys here. It amazed me how close I was to getting it right but I just don't know if I would have ever truly succeeded w/o their help. I had just about run out of my own ideas and their is absolutely no one around here that I knew of that even knew what paper patching was. These guys had me up and going with only a few posts. They have no idea how many more gray hairs they saved me.

Mike

GabbyM
05-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Ed's red gun cleaner recipe.

Felix Lube.

Fact that a 50/50 (WW: Pb) alloy cast rifle bullet heat treated will expand and retain over 90% of wieght at CB velocity. It works too.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-17-2011, 07:10 AM
That FIT is King and everything else follows that. Even alloy. I was one of the "harder must be better" guys before I got here.

captaint
05-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I recently learned that too much tin in an alloy containing antimony is not a good thing. Always thought a little more might be better. No, no. Won't go there again.. And hold on tight fellas, cause I have a long way to go.... enjoy Mike

midnight
05-17-2011, 07:52 AM
So many great bullet molds available that I did't even know existed before. Large melting pot design & how to make your own. I'll try to make my own anything before I buy ready made. The PID discussion turned me on to controlling pot, lube, & mold temperatures. My retirement is turning into the busiest time of my life. Now all I have to do is learn how to post pictures to make my posts more interesting.

Bob

WILCO
05-17-2011, 07:57 AM
5. Chewing tabacco comes from a small area in North Carolina and a strain called Black Tabacco. lots of interesting info. Tried to find that post again, but I lost it.

This should be the one you referenced:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=111744&highlight=chewing+tobacco

Dean D.
05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
How to test the hardness of lead using a $12 pencil set... priceless! [smilie=w:

Well, maybe $12, come to think of it. [smilie=l:

exile
05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
How important mold temperature is to getting good fill, and how military surplus rifles can be shot well with cast boolits. I am just starting to learn I know.

exile

rays308
05-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Lead boolits don't plug gas ports in auto rifles when loaded properly. I'm having SO MUCH more fun with my auto rifles now and at MUCH lower cost.

The pencil test for lead hardness.

How to heat treat boolits for more uniform hardness.

Citric Acid to help clean brass.

M-Die for more uniform flairing.

Seating boolit to engage the rifling can be a good thing.

How to make my own lube. Lots of recipes here.

How to properly use Dacron as a filler.
Dacron filler can help with accuracy and reduce lube smoke.

The sun comes up in the east. This may be a relative direction with the shifting of the poles and Japan scooting around and all.

Is that 5 yet? I have more.

Harter66
05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
1 A little more room in the neck will let you shoot a BP/smokless transition cartridge back up to 1935 factory specs(32Rem is not identical to the 32 Win they're more like 7mm Weatherby/Rem).

2 Throat fit in revolvers makes all the differance!

3 You can get even the most troubled rifle to shoot cast even better than your best j-load. (Exceptions)

Tom W.
05-17-2011, 10:39 AM
1. Crazy people climb 85 feet up a tree over a cliff to rescue a CAT.
2. The Lee 300 gr .45 shoots almost as well as the RCBS 300 from my .454
3. The Lee 310 gr.44 shoots way better than I had hoped in my SRH.
4. Crazy people climb....nevermind, I said that....
5. There's a great bunch of people on this forum!

chboats
05-17-2011, 10:40 AM
+1 to exile. I have a 1909 Argentine 7.65 carbine. At the throat the grove is .325 and at the muzzle it is .316. When I first got it, tried surplus ammo in it. Rounds spread over 10 feet at 100 yds. With cast (8mm) it will hold 2 - 2 1/2 inches at 100 yds (if I do my part). Without this forum I would just used the action to build up something.

Carl

beanflip
05-17-2011, 12:15 PM
I have learned that this site is THE BEST DAM SITE OUT THERE IN CYBER SPACE!!!

It must be the group of members here!!!!

Hats off to everyone!!!

:CastBoolitsisbest:

lead-1
05-17-2011, 01:20 PM
There is really too much to list and I haven't been here all that long but casting was something that I was interested in for many years.

I have learned just enough so far to be hooked on making your own boolits by stopping in an intersection to grab a wild wheel weight.

That you don't just cast a boolit and shoot it, slugging your barrel and fit is king.

Don't forget the lubes, for starters I mixed up a batch of Barry Darr's and got more than I'll ever use and now I wan't to try something different

Most importantly I learned that there are a lot of very helpful people at this great site.

These are just a couple of the basics.

steg
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I learned so much on this site, when I first came here I was one of those harder is better casters, now I know better, but mostly it's the people, a special breed, and I include myself in that also, willing to help when I can, and mostly the old school way of your word being a promise that only an act of God would interfere with your keeping it, and the do unto others attitude of the members. I've had the pleasure of meeting some of the members personally, and they were great guys. I started out on Greybeards site, another good forum, but since then I find myself here more than anywhere else. this is a great site with great people being members.................................steg

lbaize3
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Been reloading and casting for a looooooong time. Thought I knew about all I needed to know until I happened upon this site. Now I am amazed that I can make my own lube, cast much better bullets, and that there are times I want to ladle cast and times that I want to use my bottom pour pot. I make better decisions on alloy selection and types of boolits to use for the various caliber weapons I own.

The information I have picked up is not quantifiable in terms of value. The members of this forum have been helpful, funny and dedicated to furthering our sport. I enjoy reading the posts and intend to give some range reports on my experiences with firearms and cast bullets. I think some may find my experiences informative, just as I have found other member's experiences to be illuminating.

And last, but not least, I find that most member's attitudes and values reflect my own. That helps make me much more comfortable with participating in this forum.

Blammer
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM
I found out you have to do a few things to get the WW's to shoot.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/DSCN7171.jpg

Bomberman
05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
I found out you have to do a few things to get the WW's to shoot.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/DSCN7171.jpg

Yeah, like get that thing seated properly and put a good, hard crimp on it. Let 'er fly!

Jim
05-17-2011, 06:00 PM
The most interesting thing I have learned here is the same thing I learn every few days.

I don't know stink.

JeffinNZ
05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
I have learned that I appear to be the only hunter in the world wearing purple longjohns.

Von Gruff
05-17-2011, 06:25 PM
The most valuable thing I have learned about is soft nosing boolits and mould temps.

I also learned that there is a difference between an addiction and a way of life.

:drinks:

:castmine:

:happy dance:

Von Gruff.

geargnasher
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Ed's red gun cleaner recipe.

Felix Lube.

Fact that a 50/50 (WW: Pb) alloy cast rifle bullet heat treated will expand and retain over 90% of wieght at CB velocity. It works too.

Those are three of my top five right there.

The other two are citric acid brass cleaner and Bullplate Sprue Lube.;

Honorable mention are the Crumb Rubber Boolit Trap and the PID temp contoller.

Gear

MtGun44
05-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Bullplate lube.

Citric acid.

Proper size corncorb and NuFinish is incredible.

Fit is king.

Miha makes WONDERFUL molds.

There are a bunch of nice folks on this site that know a whole lot more about
casting than I do.

Jeff wears purple long johns and has a wonderful family in a beautiful place.

Can't remember the rest.

bbqncigars
05-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Bullshop products and the wonders of the paper patch.

fatnhappy
05-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I've met a lot of decent honest people I wouldn't have otherwise known.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-18-2011, 07:29 AM
probably melt temp vs mold temp.

chaos
05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
I've learned most everything that I know about casting from members and posts on this site. Great deal of information here.

The only bad thing I've seen here is there is a DEFINITE malcontent of those that hold an Opposing Political view than the norm. Folks that express it generally take a beating and move on to higher ground. We've lost several good members because of it.

I hold the Popular views by chance and have not had to deal with such, I have seen a few friends leave and take their knowledge with them.

Just my 2 centavos...,

Chaos

felix
05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
That is totally expected. It's biblical to the extreme, from the start to the finish. Cain killed Abel, right? Those that are not for Me are against Me. There is NO MIDDLE GROUND. ... felix

blackthorn
05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Nothing is "black and white" in isolation! That applies to casting bullets, politics and religion etc. If I accept and support the right to free speech, and freedom of expression, then I must also accept the right of others to hold different opinions than I do. Tolerance is a virtue I try very hard to practice, even when I believe the other guy is wrong! This is an awsome site, have a great day!

felix
05-18-2011, 10:47 AM
ViceVersa. In isolation, there is only black and white. The color gray is the in-between, not yet settled. The ideas of free speech, expression, opinion are nothing more than subsets of free will, and the word tolerance would be a good meaning for it. However, there will be no tolerance in the end, only black and white. ... felix

geargnasher
05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I mostly stay away from politics and Religion here, and for the same reasons such subjects are taboo in the Lodge.

Voltare said it pretty well with his famous quote about his will to defend to the death the rights of those with whom he disagreed.

Along the lines of what Dean said, I've learned to appreciate the fine folks here who are secure enough in their views and beliefs that they feel no need to impose it on others but also fully value the the amazing goodwill and prayers offered to those in need here, giving this site a sense of community not found often these days in any venue.

Gear

Trey45
05-18-2011, 11:22 AM
What are the most intersting and coolest things that you have learned on CASTBOOLITS?

1. You can get a cast lead rifle boolit going over 2500fps without leading.

2. H&G made the finest molds known to mankind.

3. Lyman sucks.

4. Lyman doesn't suck.

5. Mihec molds are better than H&G.

6. Cabin fever sucks.

7. Spammers suck.

8. Ben Cannon sucks.

9. Zinc sucks.

10. Felix Lube doesn't suck.

geargnasher
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Whatcha sayin', there Trey? That one must keep an open mind? :kidding:

Gear

Wayne Smith
05-18-2011, 01:52 PM
ViceVersa. In isolation, there is only black and white. The color gray is the in-between, not yet settled. The ideas of free speech, expression, opinion are nothing more than subsets of free will, and the word tolerance would be a good meaning for it. However, there will be no tolerance in the end, only black and white. ... felix

Agreed, only substitute "right and wrong" for black and white. And always remember, God gets to define the difference, I don't!

JeffinNZ
05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Right, so if there is only black and white where does that leave my longjohns? Just when I thought I had things sorted.

docone31
05-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I learned,
That when lead gets on the ceiling, if you just wait, the edges will curl up(actually, down), and they can be pulled off without damaging the fixtures, or paint. Even the texture will survive most of it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
The only bad thing I've seen here is there is a DEFINITE malcontent of those that hold an Opposing Political view than the norm. Folks that express it generally take a beating and move on to higher ground. We've lost several good members because of it

I am the only conservative (politically) in my family.
If I get into a political coversation with my family,
I better be ready to hold my own, or just shut up.

Anyone with outspoken liberal leanings just has to know
that a group of people who are regulars in web forum
about boolits, guns and shooting are mostly going to be
conservative...The NRA was formed in 1871 to protect
the second amendment from the Progressive movement.
This fight has been going for 140 years.
This is nothing new.

I tolerate all boolit casters and wannbe's no matter
their political view, But if a liberal boolit caster wants
to start or join in on a political discussion (in it's appropriate place)
They better be ready to hold their own...just like I have to with my family.
Because the majority will be against you !
Jon

cbrick
05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I've learned that many of the people here are true class acts.
My casting knowledge jumped 10 fold in 5 years here over the first 25 years that I cast.

And Blammer . . . I've told you over and over . . . Apply heat FIRST.

Rick

STP22
05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
The most intersesting was my interaction with Doug, aka "Floodgate". He was so helpful to me with his knowledge and I learned a great deal about Belding & Mull items as well as the early Lyman history. I miss the back and forth PM`s with him.

I remember asking him once about actually calling him to save some typing about some of his interest in Bismuth. He replied, "Twin hearing aids...that`ll never work!"

I was crestfallen...:cry:

Scott

geargnasher
05-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I've learned that many of the people here are true class acts.
My casting knowledge jumped 10 fold in 5 years here over the first 25 years that I cast.

And Blammer . . . I've told you over and over . . . Apply heat FIRST.

Rick

Sort by weight (it's conveniently marked on most of them), apply heat, beat the curve out of them with a hammer, break off the clippy thing, dunk 'em in Mule Snot, and THEN ram 'em home!

Gear

cephas53
05-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Only been at it a few years but the majority of what I needed to know I learned here. Personally don't post allot, but see there are some fine people here. Thanks.

songdog53
05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Have learned if run into problem with anything to do with casting or problems with boolits thru your weapon, your not alone and always someone has been there and done that.

Bass Ackward
05-19-2011, 10:09 AM
After hundreds of years and hundreds of books on HOW TO, we still have problems with lead. Every person or group that writes a HOW TO book believes theirs is now the gospel.

What I value learning here comes down to a big picture view. This is extremely difficult to obtain with shooting and cast in particular, as you are taught to pay close attention to details. It has taken me a few years to get this even though I have been here for quite some time.

A detailed focus beyond every subject area EXCEPT SAFETY is counter productive as everything interacts. Discussions here are good for ideas, but worthless unless put to the test.

Everything works eventually, everything fails eventually. Lead cleans out. And the sun comes up tomorrow. Experimentation only makes a difference (for you) if it does.

No matter what your previous experience or years you have behind you, preconceived ideas or logic you use to obtain that experience, once you settle into any pattern or technique, you now have cast limitations.

Limitations or "techniques" cause patterns that are the reason behind every HOW TO book for 300 years of history and THAT is why this board has value.

No rules.

btroj
05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I learned that the only rule is that there is no rule. Somewhere, sometime, a guy had success with pure lead, plain based bullets, with no lube at 2000 fps. the fact nobody else can do it doesn't matter.
I have learned that almost everything is possible. Don't ignore any options. Try everything. You NEVER can be sure that something won't work.

Try, try , try. Don't ever give up. And try everything.

a.squibload
05-20-2011, 03:32 AM
One reason I got out of casting for a while was all that whacking on the handle hinge bolt!
Learned all kinds of things here, not just about boolits.
Thanks for putting up with me!

Bullshop
05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Before this thread gets away I want to share, confess, apologise for something I have learned here.
It is that sometimes when things push my widely varied buttons I can be a real JERK!
I have learned it and am ashamed of it. To degrade myself may be acceptable but to degrade this site is not.
I am sorry! I apologise to all! With the Lords help I am working on it. I despise seeing what I have been here on several occasions and I will try hard to never let the Mr. Hide out again.

Maven
05-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Dan, You'd be one of the last people I'd think of as a jerk. On the other hand, there have been some here where that term would be high praise!

Ohio Rusty
05-25-2011, 07:54 PM
In thinking about this deeper ... probably everything I know !! I had lost all my reloading equipment in a divorce about ... 1979. I still had a few small things squirreled away, but hadn't done any casting and loading for smokeless boolits in over 30 years. I did cast for my muzzleloaders.

It wasn't just a few years ago I got back into reloading, due to Ohio passing concealed carry laws and my desire to make the jump into contenders for bith the good wyphe and myself. Ever since all that happened ... I have learned so much about alloys, moulds, firearms and a myriad of everything shooting.

I am indebted to the knidness and knowledge the list members have freely shared, and I have tried to help others with what I have learned.

Ohio Rusty ><

mpbarry1
05-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks Guys. I'm definately gonna add the items you all listed on this thread to my reading list.

gmsharps
05-26-2011, 02:26 AM
I have cast boolits and reloaded my ammunition for a long time. Once I discovered this site I found answers to a lot of questions that have eluded for for years. Like getting a pain in the butt mold to drop bullets easily. It now seems trivial but a problem can be difficult until someone opens your eyes to a usually easy fix. It is great that we are getting a lot of new casters and reloaders to our past time. What took me years to learn the hard way can now be learned in a very short time from all of your collective expertise. I now have a pile of unopened Mihec boxes begging to be opened and broke in. Hopefully in the next couple of years I'll be able to get back to the land of the free and and finish my range and start filling the backstop with lead. This site has been somewhere I can get new ideas and thoughts about things to come. Keep it up guys. GM

quack1
05-26-2011, 07:36 AM
A couple of things that stand out
Bullplate- wish I had some of that stuff when I started casting.
Felix lube- the best all around lube I have come across, plus I can make it myself.
Beagleing- for years, I tried to think of a way to make some molds drop a little fatter. Thought about drilling and tapping for adjustment set screws, but figured adjusting several screws within .001 of each other would be nearly impossible. Never crossed my mind to use such a simple thing as aluminum tape.
Mostly, I've learned more since I found this site than I learned by trial and error in the 40+ years I have been casting.

Catshooter
05-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Bullshop,

Ever read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography? In it he talks about making a list of virtues that he would like to achieve, daily. He made a chart and would work on them daily.

You know what he found? He couldn't do it. He couldn't stick to his own list and was quite ashamed.

So you're in good company. Him along with everyone else, everywhere.

Cat