PDA

View Full Version : Question re filling a Saeco Lube sizer

cabezaverde
05-16-2011, 09:45 PM
The instructions that come with a Saeco are poorly written. Could someone walk me through the steps for refilling my new to me unit?

The instructions sound like you remove the large outer cap and fill the tube. They then go on to mention a neoprene seal?

My unit is the older Santa Anita unit, the instructions they sent are for the current one.

What am I missing here?

ReloaderFred
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
I just back out the pressure screw all the way and unscrew the cap on the reservoir. I put in a stick of new lube and then screw the cap back on and apply pressure as needed.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Doc Highwall
05-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I have four of them and it is easy. You can back off the pressure screw lever either when it is on the sizer or after it is off it does not matter. Then when the top cap is off, and the pressure screw with the spring is all the way up you can hold it along side the reservoir to see approximately how far down into the reservoir it will protrude. The neoprene seal is attached to the piston with the spring and prevents lube from leaking past. Then you put lube into the reservoir allowing room for the piston when you screw the cap back on. Better to put too little lube in then too much. Ask me how I know. The thing I like about the SAECO besides the alignment is the internal spring keep pressure on the lube so you can lube a good number of bullets before turning the lever depending on the number of lube grooves on the bullet. Too much lube pressure causes lube to leak under the bullet base.

lurch
05-16-2011, 10:25 PM
If you have an older one, the seal is not neoprene, but leather. Take a little care not to bugger it up and it works just fine. I recently had one of the leather seals give up and the folks at Redding sent me a new one for the asking.

Fred has it right, back off the pressure unscrew the top and put in some more lube.

cabezaverde
05-17-2011, 06:02 AM
So, to clarify.

The spring plunger does have to come out, is that correct?

I can't see how it wouldn't have to, but thought it better to ask.

BABore
05-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Back off the handle that turns the plunger spring down against the lube. Unscrew the pipe end cap that the threaded rod of the plunger spring goes through. Pull the entire thing out of the lube resevior tube. Screw the pipe end cap down to the bottom, spring plunger end, of the threaded rod. Hold it along side the tube top so you know where to fill it too. Put in the appropriate amount of lube. Install the plunger end back into the tube being careful not to mess up the gasket. Push down hard on the lube handle and screw the pipe end cap back down tight.

It's not much different than filling an old grease gun. You don't have to use stick lube and definetly don't buy lube with a hole through it. I don't even use sticks myself. The lube goes in a pan and gets melted, then it's poured in. With soft lube I just push the edge of a block into the tube using the tube edge to cut it off.

cabezaverde
05-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Thank you BA Bore - got it now.