PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Longshot on a RCBS 10MM-170 SWC

seagiant
05-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi,
I was cruising through an auction site looking at molds when I saw this RCBS mold up for grabs with a decent looking pair of handles! The problem was that there was only one pic of the mold and that was with the blocks closed! I e-mailed the seller and asked for a pic of the inside of the blocks-No thats the only pic I have, thanks! Hmmmm... Did not sound good and the pic was junk so now I'm wondering? I finally figured even if the cavitys were trashed maybe I could throw myself on the mercy of the nice lady at RCBS and make out anyway! I won the bid at $41 + shipping! I figured shucks the handles worth $40 anyway!
Well I got the mold today, shipped already mounted on the handles and the seller included the green plastic mold box too. I was amazed when I actually saw it in front of me as both the handles and the mold and the plastic box looked brand new,except for some "light" rust here and there on the mold,of course what was waiting to be revealed was the inside of the cavitys which turned out to be pretty good! The Gods were smiling after all! I dosed the mold down with PB Blaster and let it sit awhile and then using some 0000# steel wool took out the rust, There are some pics below of before and after. Dropped some bullets and the mold works fantastic!

Le Loup Solitaire
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
You scored well with this mold and handles. Even if there was a problem RCBS is very good with making things right and their customer service has a good reputation. if one of their molds gets goofed up they usually replace it with a new one. The blocks alone are worth more than the total that you paid and RCBS handles are pretty pricey. Good luck on your find. LLS

seagiant
05-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Hi Loup,
Thanks,I've always loved RCBS molds I don't do anything but clean them good and they always put out the boolets. I have a Lee six-cav. in this design and all though they are ok they do not produce as pretty a boolet as the RCBS does!