PDA

View Full Version : Whitch one of them would be good to eat?

grisy11
05-16-2011, 05:41 PM
I just started to work on a goat farm of all things for me to do.and thare is way to meany of them.I have never had it before is it any good?
http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z461/grisy111/
:twisted:

stubshaft
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't find a big difference in eating either one of them. In my younger days I used to guide Goat hunts on the Island of Molokai. It is still one of my favorite foods. Roasted, stewed made into chili, it's ALL good. The local filipinos even cut up the tender belly skin into slivers and season it with the bile squeezed from the stomach and eat it raw, great with a cold one.

grisy11
05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks Stubshaft
How would you cook it?
would it be cooked like Beef?

Winger Ed.
05-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Goatmeat is great used in any bar-B-Que type recipe.
The best way to cook it is like they did in the old Cowboy movies: rotated on a spit over a fire.
However; it is a little greasey compared to lean cuts of beef.
Ya also have to process it when the critter is young- preferably under 6 months old.
Well before it's strong hormone system comes on line.

Much older than 6 months, and the meat tastes like the smell coming off a old baby diaper.

stubshaft
05-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks Stubshaft
How would you cook it?
would it be cooked like Beef?

Yup, just don't make the mistake of overcooking it. If you want you can also cut it with pork fat and make sausages out of it.

Cut it into 1" or so cubes season with salt and pepper and lightly flour. Brown in a cast iron pot (do it in batches so the pot doesn't get too cold). Add sliced onions a little chopped garlic and deglaze with GOOD beer (not that lite stuff). Add the meat back into the pot with some carrots and celery and simmer for 45 minutes or so. When the meat is just begining to get tender add potatoes and turnips. Simmer until meat is tender and enjoy! I usually like a hunk of sourdough bread slathered with butter to go along with this and a cold one.

I never had a problem with the meat from an older animal smelling. Maybe, I just got used to it and never noticed it.

waksupi
05-17-2011, 02:10 AM
If you have ever been hungry, any meat is good.

Winger Ed.
05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
If you have ever been hungry, any meat is good.
That reminds me of another time someone from up Nawth asked me about how to cook goat.
I told them to just cook it like you normally would o'possum.

Lloyd Smale
05-18-2011, 06:39 AM
I ate goat meat down in jamaca when in the service that was good. My buddy has a hunting operation that has some differnt goats in it and every one ive tried to eat smelled so bad for urine that it would make you gag to cook it.

Dale in Louisiana
05-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Think "deer"...

dale in Louisiana

MT Gianni
05-19-2011, 11:55 PM
We raised nubian goats when i was young. Ate the kids and milked the adults. Roast a rump roast as you would venison. Chops, sausage with other added fat all are fine. Goats like many critters taste like what they eat. Grasses and mild broadleaf weeds are good. Browse and branches make a strong flavored meat. Left on their own to eat whatever and shoot the uncut male with the biggest horns that has spread his scent everywhere by peeing on his legs.... well you get what you ask for.

nanuk
05-20-2011, 07:00 AM
bile squeezed from the stomach and eat it raw, great with a cold one.

I usually like a hunk of sourdough bread slathered with butter to go along with this and a cold one.

Stubshaft: do I detect a pattern here??? Gotta be wobbled to enjoy?? Heh...

Left on their own to eat whatever and shoot the uncut male with the biggest horns that has spread his scent everywhere by peeing on his legs.... well you get what you ask for.

MT Gianni: I worked at a livestock barn where we had a full grown, intact, Billy to settle the Bulls down. He smelled SOOOOOO bad... Peeing on himself was the Cleanest thing this guy did!

oh... and you should have seen him KNOCK OUT Bulls! cold, one horn tip between the eyes! Cows too. saw him knock out 5 in a row in about 2 minutes. The other 5 settled right down after seeing their friends laying out on the concrete!

Arisaka99
05-20-2011, 02:48 PM
wow nanuk, thats pretty awesome!!

grisy11
05-20-2011, 03:30 PM
That is pritty funny Nanuk.I whent to work today and asked the old woman boss if she whanted to sell one and she sead yes no problem.So i asked her what she whanted for it and she asked what i was going to do with it.You will milk it right?I told her no i was going to eat it.I dont work thare any more LOL