PDA

View Full Version : H. Piepers .22 question…

Typecaster
05-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I have an H. Piepers (Liege, Belgium) .22 single shot action I bought as a "cute" wall hanger. I'm not really trying to restore it, just to figure out the design. The trigger/hammer/block fit-up is easy; but there are no extractor "fingers" left, just the stem and a small cam (?) below the cross-pin. I assume there would be a spring arrangement to rotate the extractor when the block is opened, but I can't figure out where it would mount. It would probably also tighten up the block, which now flops about except in the fired position.

Anybody have info/photos on one of these? I can post photos in a few days if necessary.

Thanks,

Richard

2152hq
05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I've had a couple of the H. Pieper rifles ,,most recently one in 32rf not too awfull long ago.
The extractor is simply activated by the breechblock as it lowers,,no spring action at all (at least in mine there wasn't)

The extractor was pivoted on a screw just below the breech. The upper half of the part is configured to pull the case out of the chamber.
The lower part is shaped like an upside down 'T'.

The rearward facing arm of that 'T' is pushed forward by the lowering breechblock,,and that pivots the upper/extractor portion back.
The forward faceing arm of the 'T' limits the travel of the extractor by contacting a cut out in the underside of the receiver just in front of it as it is pushed forward by the lowering breechblock.

The lever/breechblock itself is limited in movement by it's front portion ahead of the pivot hole coming into contact with the frame inside.

An oversize screw/pivot for the breechblock will take care of alot of the slop in the action but they were never that carefully fitted to start with.
There is a small shoulder on the hammer that locks behind a matching cut on the block when closed and fired to actually lock the action shut (something like a rolling block lock up).
Many times those locking contact points do not touch each other or have limited contact at best. The result is that the rifle is held shut by the lever snap-over contact on the tang only.

Typecaster
05-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the input, and here are some quick shots of the action. I still think there would be some sort of spring to hold the block closed; as it is, it will just flop open when the hammer is cocked.

Richard

2152hq
05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Yours is totally different from the ones I had. Mine were larger underlever actions with the lever and breech block all one piece.

Neat little action.
Did you take the extractor & breech block out?
I'm wondering if there isn't a small coil sping and plunger that's either missing or maybe rusted into place and stuck in there.

I'd think one placed in the forward lower area of the breech block hidden in the frame and working on a slight angle cut in the frame would provide the necessary tension on the block.
It should go 'over center' to snap it open or closed.

Typecaster
05-19-2011, 12:12 AM
I haven't drifted any pins out yet, but i can't see anywhere a spring & plunger would bear on either the block or frame. It is indeed a neat little action, and I only bought it to try to figure out how it works.
The trigger/hammer fit is tight, and the hammer/block design in pretty massive for a .22. I just can't figure out why the block would be so sloppy.

Richard

Babalooie
08-15-2011, 07:31 AM
I have a rifle that looks like yours. It has no manufacturer name but does have German BUG proofs. Otherwise, it looks the same as yours. If you're interested in discussing this further, send me a PM.

Below are a couple of photos of the action:

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/Babalooie/german%20rolling%20block/ACTIONSIDER.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/Babalooie/german%20rolling%20block/BREECHANDHAMMERCLOSED.jpg

Maynardb
10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the hobby and this site, so give me a little latitude. I just bought a H. Pieper .22 rifle, missing the stock and a few other parts. The firing pin is broken and the piece that pushes the shell out when opening the breach is also missing. How tough is it to find these pieces? I'd like to restore this to safe firing condition. Am I wasting my time?
Thanks,
Bruce