PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on buying molds

WyomingWhitetail
05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Not sure if this is the right place and im sure this is asked about 4 times a week but i didn't seem to find much in the search function (so i apologize in advance if this is redundant). Anyway im looking to get into casting and would like some suggestions for molds. I know there is a lot of molds out there but i don't want to spend the money on something just to have it give me years of headaches. I have shot quite a few commercial boolits but never been around casting much so im not sure where the quality is at with various brands of molds. If any one can give a general overview of the good brand of molds to look for or better yet tell me which ones are badly designed and poorly made i will greatly appreciate it. Im interested in mostly general terms but right now im looking at casting 38, 44, and 22 cal bullets.Thanks guys

missionary5155
05-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Good morning
New molds are generally OK.. but remeber generally you get what your price reflects. I have used Lee molds for years and most are good.. some are like the Monday morning Detroit specials my dad used to haul to delears...
I will also say from what I have read most other mass produced molds are the same. Most good and servicable.. others are a real challenge.
The Group Buy molds offered here are fantastic. But again the price reflects the quality.
Used molds... I generally buy here... unless I can see and handle it first or the seller on another site has good feedback.
Most any mold ( if it was not abused and used as an anvil) can be usable if you are willing to clean or adjust or lap or seek help before going completley bonkers...
Mike in peru

white eagle
05-16-2011, 09:04 AM
couldn't have said it better
most of the mold makers on this board have
good molds and pick one you won't go wrong

Doby45
05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
The absolute key here is get the best that you can afford, period. Are you ham fisted with your tools are do you take good care of them? If you are just getting started you are far better off spending $20 on a Lee 2 cavity than you are dropping $100+ on a custom mold. NOT that there is not a place for a $100+ custom mold. But the key is to just get to casting and then grow as you get more comfortable and secure in the hobby. You may cast for a while and decide you really don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would (highly unlikely) or you don't have the time you thought you would (very probable ;) ). But either way get the best equipment that you can possibly afford. Now if you are looking at a brand new Lee mold for $20 and also see a nice RCBS mold in the swapping section for $45 then that is a no brainer, get the best you can afford.

runfiverun
05-16-2011, 10:44 AM
even in the lee line some molds are better than others.
the 6 cavs are a better made mold right from the get go.
i would pick a type of mold, and a lubing system.
stick with it.
i went with traditional lube grooves [mainly one groove]
steel molds 2-4 cavity.
and started ladle casting till i learned how the bottom pour worked.
lubed with a lyman for about one day and started looking for a faster method and found the stars.

i have a couple of aluminum molds and like them but they are different from the steel ones i use.

cbrick
05-16-2011, 04:21 PM
WyomingWhitetail, welcome to Castboolits.

For regular production iron molds RCBS is outstanding. They have always been good but have really stepped up quality in the last few years. SAECO iron molds are far and away the most expensive and from my experience with them the very worst in customer service of all mold makers.

As a brand new caster an iron mold is probably the best choice to get started, just a little easier to learn with and a little tougher to mess up, the RCBS should be a big plus on both counts. You mentioned casting for 22, my most recent RCBS mold is the 22 caliber 55 gr. FPGC, it is one the easiest to cast with molds of the 70+ that I have. It is a joy to use.

Aluminum molds can be great, I have several but at least for me a bit tricky to get the hang of at first. Possibly because I was so used to the iron molds from when I started casting 30+ years ago. Aluminum is of course much softer and could be easier to mess up while learning casting and bullet molds. A lot of people seem happy with LEE aluminum molds and they are cheap but I expect any tool I buy to out live me, I can't see that with LEE molds and after a few I stopped buying them. NOE is one of the world's premiere mold makers and his aluminum molds are a joy to behold. An NOE 5 cavity at under $100.00 compared to a SAECO iron 4 cav at $175.00 is a complete no brainer.

As a suggestion, when you order your first mold also place an order with Bullshop (on this forum) and order some bullplate sprue plate lube, follow the directions that come with it, casting will be easier and your molds will show less wear.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide on.

Rick

WyomingWhitetail
05-16-2011, 06:38 PM
well i have alway been a big RCBS fan that what all my dads reloading stuff is (haven't got my own yet but hopefully this summer (hey im only 20)) all of my reloading dies and everything like that and have always been satisfied with the brand. Im not to worried about a pot and ladle and all that as i have a friend who has been casting for a long time so he can help me with that stuff and he even has 44 and 38 molds i can use at first but i still want to start getting my own stuff.

Stick_man
05-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Welcome to the board. I'd recommend picking up a little experience with your friend's molds first if you can. You will get a feel for it and hopefully figure out some things that you like or dislike and that can help you make a more informed decision when you finally decide to buy your own molds. You may find you like casting with aluminum molds better than iron or brass. You may find you absolutely hate casting with one and love casting with another.

After you are familiar with casting and have picked up some good habits with it, I'd highly recommend NOE or MiHec for a custom mold or two. Both make excellent molds and are great supporters here on this forum. You can also contact them here for some unprecedented customer support.

Good luck.

tommygirlMT
05-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Okay --- I suggest newbie buy a used 1 or 2 cavity iron mold --- Ideal, RCBS, Saeco, H&G, Hotch are all the kind of used iron molds that you just check for rust pitting, wire brushing, and any obvious defects and then buy it --- Lyman and NEI are 50/50 chance you get bit in the butt with problems that are not obvious and you wont know they are there until you cast with it

Lee molds --- 6 cavity are good but need bottom pore pot and Lee tumble lube groove style I only suggest for low pressure cartridges for a beginner --- one and two cavity Lee molds are disposible molds and have a limited life span even if you use Bull Plate or 2-cycle oil on them --- sooner or later they wear out or you get frustrated enough with them that you throw them across the shop up against concrete wall or floor --- so long as you recognize they are a disposible mold then their price is good for a beginner but they will wear out even faster with a beginner

Custom Molds --- NOE, BRP, MiHec, Mountain, Accurate, etc are all good molds but you will pay more for them --- personally I not like aluminum molds very much but others have different ideas

dverna
05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Start with something "easy" - 38's or 44's. Get a 4 or 6 cavity mold for pistol bullets or you will get sick of it real quick if you shoot a lot.

Save casting for the .22's for when you have more experience. Shooting rifles means less rounds - for me anyway. So the "need" for more cavities is less.

Don

Blammer
05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Pick one gun and one caliber to start with.

If you like the 38 best, start looking for a mould for that. Get one, cast and get some experience, what you learn and what you like will then lead you to what you want next. :)

I'm kinda partial to the 44. :D

captaint
05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
WW - Now go read post #6 again. I think that pretty well sums it up. You're gonna get addicted like the rest of us. Welcome. enjoy Mike

Wayne Smith
05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
WW, welcome.
Take advantage of your friend's offer and practice with his stuff and learn if you enjoy the whole process or not. Then learn what you like or don't like from his stuff if he has any variety.

TGirl, I couldn't disagree with you more. I've been casting with Lee 6-cavity molds, including a 45 cal. 420gr boolit, with the Lyman ladel for years. It can be done and done well. I also have some Lee two cavity molds that have lasted me for years, but I agree, they have to be treated gently. I always cradle them in my hand when I close them and always open the sprue with my hand - in welding gloves, of course. Treated well they will last. It helps to be motivated, my best 41LC mold is a Lee custom 2 cavity!

There is some good advice in this thread. Ladel casting from an open pot, bottom pour casting, aluminum, iron, brass molds, casting left or right handed, chosen clothing to wear, the absolute magic involved. All this is good.

Char-Gar
05-18-2011, 06:53 PM
1. Avoid casting for the 22 to start with. These little molds can be cranky and best learn the ropes on the larger ones.

2. Lots of good 38 and 44 molds out there. I would start with an RCBS mold. They usually do good from the start. There are many other makes and most do a credible job. Like anything made with human hands, a bum mold may show up from time to time from any maker.

Don't cast in bare feet or sandals. Hot lead or bullet on skin hurts. You also don't want to drop a hot bullet down the top of a boot. Make certain your pants are on the outside of the boot tops. Wear eye protection also.

Artful
05-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Ok, it's been a long time but when I started I was given some advise so lets see if I can remember it all.
1) Pistols are easier than Rifles to cast for.
2) Straight walls are more forgiving than bottlenecks
3) Always start with a classic design close to what you normally would buy
(Round Nose for your 1911 for example if that's what you been feeding it) before you get fancy.
4) Buy good clean lead to start with - you'll learn later how to handle scrap lead
5) Be a Big Boy, wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves and glasses
6) Don't be eating and drinking while working with lead - ya supposed to shoot it not eat it
7) Start with small block before you go ganging up - (single or double cavity are easier to learn)
8) Don't get some fancy hollowpoint job or finicky mold simpler is better to start.
9) Look at what you make and find out what it means (voids, frosty, rounded corners etc)
10) Always use good cast bullet loading manuals - it's ok to write down someone's favorite load but check it out with manuals before you use it.
11) Hotter loads ain't always as good - don't have magnumitus - you ain't Elmer
12) Keep good records - or you'll regret it - (Bill also kept one cartridge of a load to set bullet seating die with! it can amaze ya what 0.010" in difference can mean)
13) Seperate you bullets in batches - get two scales and after visual weigh into three groups - heavy for match, Mid-weight for practice and lightweigh for the pot.

I'm sure he gave more good advice, but that was 30+ years ago and my memory is slipping.

cbrick
05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
14) Harder don't mean better.

WyomingWhitetail
05-18-2011, 10:28 PM
wow a lot of good replys to this thread. im really glad so many people are willing to offer advice. looks like i need to find some lead and start making some boolits.

ColColt
05-19-2011, 09:58 PM
wow a lot of good replys to this thread. im really glad so many people are willing to offer advice. looks like i need to find some lead and start making some boolits.

You'll find this is the best gun/boolit related forum on the Internet. They folks here are great and there's none finer. The knowledge here is overwhelming and everyone takes that extra mile with you to help with whatever you're attempting to do. We all have a common goal here and the advice and expertise is second to none. I'll repeat that-second to none...period.

smoked turkey
05-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Welcome WyomingWhitetail:
The advice above is spot on. This is the best site with the best and most knowledgable people you will find. That being said I recommend you try the swappin and sellin portion of this site for your casting and reloading needs. The folks here are very trustworthy and prices are usually some better than at the big box store. I recommend also that you get yourself some manuals that go into lots of detail when it comes to reloading, casting, etc for our hobby. Lyman manuals are good.

WyomingWhitetail
05-20-2011, 07:01 AM
im already useing the swapping and selling portion of the site. Im starting to check it just about every time i log on just waiting for stuff i need to pop up.

Shooter6br
05-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Nice thing about Lee molds is if you buy a mold and find it not to your liking you are out $20 . I have lee, Lyman Milhec, NOE and H & G all have their place. For work of art, H & G and brass Milhec

475BH
05-20-2011, 02:34 PM
I wont buy another mold on e-bay. The one I did buy, it looked great after I cleaned it up. But after casting some bullets I noticed the cavities weren't aligned, so I thought. I sent it to Lyman a couple of weeks ago for new pins because they were a lil loose and one had a burr. Just got a call saying they would let me trade it in for a new one, they couldn't fix it.
Soooooo $60.00 and i'll have a new 4 cav. 452460 in a week. Looks like i'll have to wear out the Kimber just trying to get my monies worth, out of the extra money I spent trying to save money.

Ervin
05-20-2011, 07:10 PM
I have found brass to be the best, but it really dosen't matter. Clean the h*ll out of them and start casting. Lots of cleaning and casting advise on this forum. You will get the hang of it. It's like learning to swim...just jump in go for it.
Ervin

WyomingWhitetail
05-20-2011, 10:58 PM
yea i think for right now im going to stick with buying molds in person and off the classifieds on here. From what ive seen of this sight i think i would trust the members not to sell me an obvious lemon. A lot of people out there with magical cameras that like to sell **** as gold.

GLL
05-20-2011, 11:49 PM
WW: Welcome!

I have a large accumulation of moulds but started with a single .44 RCBS 2-cavity. I would suggest you do the same. I would also recommend you start with an RCBS ladle as well and learn the basics. The larger caliber is more forgiving and RCBS iron moulds are very nice for beginners! You will be making some very nice bullets with a little practice.

For your first mould buy a new one rather than having to contend with possible problems. I would point out the only two "dogs" I ever purchased were right here on the Forum. One was just a couple weeks ago and it was ****!

Jerry

HARRYMPOPE
05-21-2011, 02:18 AM
cbrick's advice is sound-

RCBS,Lyman and SAECO are all good.SAECO molds are too expensive but if they have a design you want who cares as a mold will last a lifetime if taken care of.Lee are good for the price but you have to baby them.
I prefer Iron to all mold material except brass and LBT aluminum molds.Stick with a 2 cavity and lalde pour.More than 2 cavity molds are only needed if you are shooting 500 rounds a week IMHO.if you want to cast 22's go for it, I find them as easy as any caliber to cast.

HMP

Mossy Nugget
05-21-2011, 03:50 AM
I have aluminum molds in .50 and .54 black powder round ball and buffalo boolits. These have served for 20+years, but I don't shoot 'em alot, just sighting in and a few days practice for BP season. So these are a good choice for me. My newest mold is a Lee 2X cavity for 9X18 Makarov. Pistol practice consumes alot of ammo. If the Lee craps out, I'll just buy another. $20 is cheap.

adrians
05-21-2011, 08:52 AM
i agree with all who state "you get what you pay for ".
my one and only custom mold ( most of my collection are ideal older molds snagged on various other sites.) but i digress ,the N.O.E. 323471 is a peice of art and casts right on stated specs ,a testiment to swedes skills.
get in on a g/b here if one gets your attention and you won't be sorry you did.
lee molds which i have a few are a good pick if your billfold is a little thin ,which applies to most people here i suspect.
cast iron molds are easier to use as they tend to keep their temp longer ,aluminum molds are a little more finnicky but you will get the hang of them quickly enough, N.O.E. are aluminun but my collection of one will be growing fast i suspect.
i offer no real advise ,but spending this time typing this on my laptop has given me a welcome break from all the crazy plans my wife is cooking up for me this weekend. :not listening:
have fun choosing your flavor molds and shoot safe,....:twisted::coffee::evil:

cajun shooter
05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Stock RCBS moulds to start or used Saeco if found for the $50 dollar range. Accurate moulds for a custom one of brass which is $120 TYD.