PDA

View Full Version : Potter Reloading press - pics???

Roundnoser
05-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Would any one happen to have some pics of Potter reloading equipment?

Some time ago I saw a picture of a potter press that had shell holders for two casings, and would perform two "stages" at a time. I was facinated by it, and would love to see more. Would like even more to get my hands on one!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pressman
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Here are three. Automatic Duples, Gem and the early Inline.
There are other models simaler to the Duplex.
Ken

Roundnoser
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Pressman,

How hard are the Duplex presses to find / purchase? Also, after searching for awhile on-line, I found some good pics of a couple Duplexes...

Pressman
05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
They are hard to find, I have not seen one for sale in probably two years. They do not bring Hollywood type prices, fortunatly but they are scarce.
Ken

Roundnoser
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Ken,

I would be interested in a Duplex should you hear of one. Just gonna keep my eyes open. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Bradley
05-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Would any one happen to have some pics of Potter reloading equipment?

Some time ago I saw a picture of a potter press that had shell holders for two casings, and would perform two "stages" at a time. I was facinated by it, and would love to see more. Would like even more to get my hands on one!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't remember which issue but there was an extensive history of the Potter presses in a Handloader's Digest years, or maybe decades, ago.

It has been a very long time but Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque had some. If you call, you'd want to actually talk to Ron as the store clerks wouldn't know anything about these.

Roundnoser
05-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks Bradley. -- I did a little reseaching (for those who might be interested). The in-depth articles on Potter presses are found in:

1. Book "Complete Guide to Handloading" - Phil Sharpe
2. Handloaders Digest - 11th edition - Kenneth Walters

Anyone with these publications who would be willing to copy the articles for me, Please send me a PM. I will be happy to pay you for your time and mailing. Thank you.

skeettx
05-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Look here

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/129249-bought-lot-older-reloading-tools-today.html

Roundnoser
05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks skeettx,

FYI...I was lucky and was able to puchase that guys equipment. It should be arriving tomorrow...hopefully. There are two "Duplexes" in the deal. -- This is why I'm trying to gather the historical data. Now that I'l have the machines, I'd like to know as much as possible about them. Not alot of info out there. According to the previous owner, there are a couple of original Potter documents included. I will certainly make copies of those available to anyone interested.

seagiant
05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi RN,
Glad you found one! I do have Complete Guide to Handloading by Sharpe If you want me to copy it I can next week when I go to town. Not a great write up more on the company and such instead of how the machine is suppose to work? Let me know if you want it and I'll see what I can do!
Check out my Deitemeyer-300! Still looking for a DL-266!

Roundnoser
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Here are my Potter Duplexes...all cleaned up. There is a code stamped into the top of the steel base of each unit (next to the shell holders).... "A50" and "A56". I am guessing that is the production year of each machine. From what I'm gathering, Potter was in production post-WWII (given that during WWII steel supplies would have been a war priority), so the 1950 and 1956 production years would not be an unreasonable guess.

What is really interesting is the powder measure. It was engineered to integrate into the toolhead linkage. As you actuate the arm, the powder measure will throw a charge.

Also, it appears that the toolhead and ram linkage parts (except for the pins) are all solid brass, not iron.

seagiant
05-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Jon,
Well as they say in Georgia"You done good" I've never seen any good pics of one of these and it looks like it is really machined well! Good job on the clean up also! The only downside I could see would be the dedicated dies and shell holders that you have to use but once you got it set up in a caliber of choice your set I guess and your using a real piece of history. Philip Sharp that wrote Complete Guide to Handloading had one with 9 sets of dies for it,but I'll send you all that. You might call the guy at CH, Dave I think and talk to him about dies???

bhn22
05-22-2011, 01:24 PM
If it doesn't necessarily have to be a Potter, some of the Dietermeier presses might be worth looking at. It's a totally different set-up, but really interesting in their own right.

Pressman
05-22-2011, 03:49 PM
A56 is correct, A50 is missing its powder measure. This one used an all cast iron body with a square hopper and no lid, the change to a round body and plastic hopper came about 1954/55. Powder measures do ocasionally turn up on eBay.
Both tools are Automatic Duplex's, the top of the Potter line and first introduced in 1938. Ending date was 1966 or there abouts. And you have both of the primer catcher drawers that so often get lost.
Ken

Roundnoser
05-22-2011, 07:44 PM
A56 is correct, A50 is missing its powder measure. This one used an all cast iron body with a square hopper and no lid, the change to a round body and plastic hopper came about 1954/55. Powder measures do ocasionally turn up on eBay.
Both tools are Automatic Duplex's, the top of the Potter line and first introduced in 1938. Ending date was 1966 or there abouts. And you have both of the primer catcher drawers that so often get lost.
Ken

Thanks Ken! I love this site just for this reason...there are some very educated and experienced members here that provide a wealth of information. The information you've provided is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

Based on your knowledge, would the "newer" powder measure work on the older press...In otherwords, were the square and round cylindered versions of the powder measure interchangeable? It wouldn't be historically accurate, but it would at least be functional. Thanks.

robertchambers
05-23-2011, 05:59 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/robertchambers/DSC08967.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/robertchambers/DSC08968.jpg

Pressman
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Robert, those are nice looking tools. The boolit box holder is a rare find for sure. Even the lead hardness tester is hard to find in a complete state. The powder measure is exactly what roundnoser needs to complete his press.

Ken

skeettx
05-24-2011, 06:44 PM
I have two Potter furnaces, they are small but work well.
Mike

abunaitoo
12-17-2018, 07:53 PM
That's a nice little press.
I think I have a Potters hardness tester also.
And a small Potters melting pot.
Never used the pot, It's to small.