PDA

View Full Version : Found a use for zinc wheelweigts

HenryC460
05-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Cathodic protection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection). Like what they do with buried iron pipes. I wanted a stake in the yard to hook something to now and then, and I wanted it below the level of the grass when I'm not using it. I took a 2' long piece of 1 1/2" angle iron and screwed eight zinc weights to it. Dug an 8" deep post hole and drove the iron down 6" below the grass. Filled with rocks around the stake and put the plug of grass back on top. No great loss if it rusts anyway, and it gets rid of eight zinc weights if nothing else.

zuke
05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I cast hook's/sinker's with mine. 1-200 will get me a pail or 2 of WW.

runfiverun
05-16-2011, 10:33 AM
the article is pretty interesting worth reading.

a.squibload
05-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Mailbox post rotted, wife wants a steel one.
I have leftover steel tubing.
Figured on tack welding a big zink WW to the bottom,
then paint the tube & bury it.

troy_mclure
05-17-2011, 04:54 AM
part of my job is checking the cathodic protection of subsea pipelines and oil platforms. the biggest anode i installed was 12' long and 3' thick and weighed like 700lbs. it was a zink/magnesium alloy.

if i could figure how to separate the zink from the magnesium i could make some money! lol

a.squibload
05-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Off track but that's the way my mind works...or doesn't.

A friend used to go to the dunes (Glamis?) in CA,
said one night he was there somebody set a magnesium VW engine block in the fire,
lit up the whole valley.

Hijack over.

badbob454
05-19-2011, 02:31 AM
yeah that magnesium really burns bright put a 1"x2"x1/8" firestarter block in the campfire one night wow lit up the whole area
ps im just gonna cast zinc ingots and wait ,until its worth something ...it wont stick to steel will it ....,i hope it will fall out of my ingot blocks

HenryC460
05-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Mailbox post rotted, wife wants a steel one.
I have leftover steel tubing.
Figured on tack welding a big zink WW to the bottom,
then paint the tube & bury it.

Just don't paint over the zinc part. It has to be exposed to the same wet soil as the steel for it to work.

a.squibload
05-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Henry: thanks, yeah, needs electrical connection to the dirt.

Bob: I read about some guys here casting zinc boolits, should drop out
of an ingot mold.

dnepr
05-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Off track but that's the way my mind works...or doesn't.

A friend used to go to the dunes (Glamis?) in CA,
said one night he was there somebody set a magnesium VW engine block in the fire,
lit up the whole valley.

Hijack over.

want some real fun get an old VW bug block and shoot it , smoke and flames that was a blast