PDA

View Full Version : Browning & Winchester BPCR Dovetails

texasmac
05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey guys,

I just authored and posted an article titled, BROWNING/WINCHESTER BPCR DOVETAILS & MEASURING DOVETAIL SLOT DIMENSIONS. If yor're interested, go to the link below. While you're there check out the other articles.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_and_Winchester_BPCR_Dovetails.html

Regards,
Wayne

semtav
05-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Wayne
Does it matter which way you drive the sight in or out on the front sight of a Browning/ Winchester? I've heard it does on a Shiloh.

kokomokid
05-21-2011, 03:45 PM
It doesnot matter if the dovetail is cut straight but most I have are cut at a taper from side to side. Measure the bottom of the cut with a caliper.

texasmac
05-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Semtav,
Thanks for bringing up the subject. I should add the following to my article:
I have found a slight taper of about .006" to .007" on the original Browning's and more recent Winchester copies; the left side, with the barrel pointing forward, being the narrower end. So play it safe and drive the sight out left to right and reinstall right to left. This is always a good practice to follow even if the slot has no taper.

Kokomokid,
Trying to measure the dovetail slot width with a vernier caliper may give an indication if it's tapered but it will not determine the true width of the dovetail because the caliper blades are slightly offset and the edges are slightly rounded or squared off. See my article referenced in the opening posting on this thread.

Wayne

semtav
05-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Well that's the way I just drove one in a couple days ago. Purely by accident.