PDA

View Full Version : New Found Lead on Roof

ColColt
05-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Due to hail damage I received a few weeks ago an adjuster came out today and looked at the roof/chimney area and determined I need a new roof. I know there's lead at the chimney and he told me there were a few stand pipes that had lead around them. Of course, I'm going to ask the guys about giving me that lead but was curious how long I should let them "cure" since they've been out in the elements for years...a period of dry up, if you will. I'd hate to drop some of that in my pot and have a visit from the dreaded Tinsel Fairy.

runfiverun
05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
start with a cold pot, no problems.
lead that has been exposed will pick up moisture especially if it has oxidized.
just roll it up and stand it up in the pot, and help the pot along with a torch to the lead roll.

mckutzy
05-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I have put them in the melter within a couple of day of being on the roof.
I had no issues but one, when the lead melts and the tar, bits of sealer, paint ect. get under the surface of the lead it will start to bubble and there is potential for a gas blow out. I have caught this as the lead melted and donning safety equipment stirred the contaminates out but it could happen if u dont catch it.

Doby45
05-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Yhea just put all of it in a cold pot. Also, ask the roofers for it immediately..

Johnch
05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Ask the roofers if they have any extra

I did and got close to 40 lb ........with 20 more lb of tar

Had a lot of smoke coming off the tar as I smelted that batch of pure lead

John

rattletrap1970
05-16-2011, 08:23 PM
I have some friends that do demo work. They yank all the lead and give it to me. Those waste line aprons and such are pure lead.
I also get wheel weights from several sources.
I have a large package store up the street save me the tin wine capsules (that's the colorful metal wrappers that cover the cork, the ones that feel like lead are tin). Two win capsules (250gr) adds enough tin for 1.5 lbs of lead. Better scotches use tin capsules too.
I toss it all in a pot and melt it all together, 50% wheel weights 50% pure lead, then add 2% tin.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-17-2011, 07:18 AM
I have smelted quite a few lead roofing boots and (as stated before) start with a cold pot and go from there. The only thing you have to watch for is if the boot has been smashed and wadded up. There may be moisture trapped where it can't get out and if it melts below it and then sinks in.......... Just go slow and try to keep a lid on the pot if you can. I did have one bubble once as a piece slid under the molten lead.

dieguy59
05-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I just picked up bunch of clean folded(not crushed) sheet lead for my first smelt. I picked only the cleanest(no paint, tar, dirt etc). I've been scanning the smelting threads and figure I will make it as easy on myself as possible. My flooring shear will come in handy to cut it down into managable strips. I might go back for the dirtier boots later once I figure a few things out.

Doby45
05-17-2011, 04:27 PM
You go get any lead you can get your hands on, now. You can worry about how you will clean it later.

docone31
05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
A trick with roofing lead.
Chill it down to peel off the asphalt. I use the winters down here to prepare my roof lead for making into ingots.
As the weather gets hotter, the melt gets smokier.

dieguy59
05-17-2011, 05:29 PM
You go get any lead you can get your hands on, now. You can worry about how you will clean it later.

True, but I'm a little limited on space. I need to smelt down a bunch of lino and this new stuff so that it will stack nicely to make more room. I need to iron out the pic posting thing, cuz the first smelt only happens once, and I will need input to make sure I'm safe and productive.

a.squibload
05-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Can you do Gmail up there?
It's free, click on the "photos" link and you can store a LOT of photos.
Open a photo to full size, right-click on the photo and "copy link location".
Then come to CB site, reply to thread, click the little photo icon, paste the link.
Works pretty slick and doesn't use up CB storage space.

Keep photos small for those with slow connections, they still look fine.

dieguy59
05-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Cheers! I'll work on it.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Of course, I'm going to ask the guys about giving me that lead

What do you mean ask them about giving you the lead? If its your house its YOUR lead!

hiram1
06-05-2011, 11:16 AM
a guy give me 900 lb of lino yesterday i about passed out.it is in one pot that has a pump in it and it had some lino on it when i got it

Doby45
06-05-2011, 12:30 PM
What do you mean ask them about giving you the lead? If its your house its YOUR lead!

If you don't "ASK" it simply gets thrown out along with the rest of the tear off. So yes, you would need to "ASK" regardless of it being your lead or not.

mckutzy
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
+1 on that, My good friend owns a small roofing company, and if I (and him I guess) wasnt going to be shooting the lead it would go with all the garbage. There was about 10-20 copper drains that went on this one job, he didnt want to keep cause there was now place to store it.
The lead at first will seem to be bulky as hell, but after collecting cut it up with some tin shears or better yet a band saw. that reduces it considerably. Alot of boots will fill a milk crate it will be also heavy so watch your back.

a.squibload
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Use "limb loppers" or "tree pruners", those hook-blade scissors with long handles.
Works great on sheet lead or even plumber pipe.