PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark II's

44man
05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
It quit raining for a while and I got bored after cleaning the gutters. I took both guns down with CCI Mini Mags and RWS R50 target loads.
I shot 10 of each from both guns and was a little surprised with the RWS.
The scope on the slabside was a real bugger and my wiggle was over the white spot, back and forth. I could not stop it so I need a better way to rest these things.
Yet I managed to put 8 of the RWS bullets in one hole that is 3/16" at 25 yards. The CCI's did pretty good with 2 just left of the white. The rest were in my wiggle zone.
Then the long barrel with the old Bushnell red dot was still shaking but I could not see it, yet both bullets did good and the RWS was still better. I need to adjust it to center yet but thunder was overhead.
I am thinking the RWS would all go in one hole if I could get rid of the wiggle.
I set these up for squirrels but I will tell you that the scope on the slabside will miss tons of them unless I can rest the gun. :veryconfu I am used to the big revolvers and these light things have the St. Vitas dance. :bigsmyl2:

lead-1
05-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I have a scope on my MKI 5.5 target and its a blast to shoot so I bought a MKII with the 5.5 target barrel and I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.
Looks like some more mighty fine shooting from the 44man, even with the wiggle.

44man
05-15-2011, 04:26 PM
I spent the afternoon fixing the switch on the Bushnell. It was loose. I didn't bother making a spanner but got the nut out OK. I found all the screws loose and one would not tighten so I replaced it with a longer one. Loc-Tite and all is good, works like a charm.
Rained like a cow over a flat rock, good thing I got the gutters done. Maple and boxelder seeds and enough gravel to make 100 shingles. :veryconfu
Not a good idea to have maples near your house. :mad:

Heavy lead
05-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I spent the afternoon fixing the switch on the Bushnell. It was loose. I didn't bother making a spanner but got the nut out OK. I found all the screws loose and one would not tighten so I replaced it with a longer one. Loc-Tite and all is good, works like a charm.
Rained like a cow over a flat rock, good thing I got the gutters done. Maple and boxelder seeds and enough gravel to make 100 shingles. :veryconfu
Not a good idea to have maples near your house. :mad:

220' of gutter surrounded by Sycamore trees, leaves as big as Texas size pancakes, I feel your pain.
I took the scope off my Mark II slab, same reason, shoots as good as I can look with Winchester Power Points, love that little gun.

Matthew 25
05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
I have the gov't target model 6 7/8". That little pistol is flawless (except I wore out the firing pin). I've never scoped it, never needed it to be ultra accurate. It'll do pop cans at 50y any day. That's my longest owned gun, 22 years. It's in the lock-box in the Bronco right now, always ready.
It likes cheap Federal hp's just fine.

44man
05-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I have the gov't target model 6 7/8". That little pistol is flawless (except I wore out the firing pin). I've never scoped it, never needed it to be ultra accurate. It'll do pop cans at 50y any day. That's my longest owned gun, 22 years. It's in the lock-box in the Bronco right now, always ready.
It likes cheap Federal hp's just fine.
I use a lot of the bulk Federal's too. WW bulk is funny stuff, pop, crack and failures with every magazine load. I reserve my Mini Mags for squirrels as they are pretty consistent.
I was surprised with the RWS because I tried all other target rounds with poor results and those ultra high velocity things are no good.
But I will tell you that your gov't model is right on top and will out shoot anything. It is more accurate then anyone can shoot it.
Even my first Mark I with fixed sights was so accurate it was scary. I paid $37.50 for it, sold it to my brother in law and it is still going strong.
The only reason I sell a Ruger .22 is to buy another one I like better. [smilie=s:

44man
05-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I shot again today to get the red dot centered and went by my first shot that was about perfect. I am still a little left and low with 9 shots there.
I shot the other one with the scope and it was interesting to see the same hole just get larger, messed with me and I blew the last shot low left. 9 in one ragged hole is as good as the Exeplar bolt gun I had.
I had 6 shots left and got a 7/8" group at 50 yards. Much harder to see that far.
What wonderful pistols! :holysheep

Doc Highwall
05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
44man, I have a MKII with a 10" barrel and I mounted a Burris 2-7X scope on it and I have shot a 10 shot group at 75 yards that measured 1" with the old Federal 711B that had the dimple in the base.

I think the only thing keeping the MKII from being a really great pistol is the trigger from the factory. Get a trigger job and you have a great gun.

44man
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
My triggers are 28 oz and are perfect.
I am still the loose nut behind the gun and the Swift scope has cross hairs that cover 1" at 50. It is 2X.
You show just how great the things will shoot. 1" at 75 is super.

Char-Gar
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a pair of Mk IIs, I use every Staurday morning in a 22 pistol falling plate match. They are popular with that bunch of folks. With a Volquartsen accuracy kit installed that drops the trigger pull down to 2 - 2.5 lbs, they are great shooting pistols

My main pistol has been been put together by Clark and has a Douglas barrel with a match chamber. The other is a stock MK II with Volquartsen parts.

Either pistol is plenty good for the match, but the Douglas barrel will shoot rings around the Ruger barrel on paper.

brimic2
05-17-2011, 12:20 AM
my first 2 guns I bought on my own were a MKII and a remington 597. The MKII was actually quite a bit more accurate than the 597, and unlike the 597, I didn't have to clear a jam every 4th shot. Guess which .22 I still have?:mrgreen:

MtGun44
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I won a brick of RWS Target some 25 yrs ago and proceeded to stomp the local .22 sillywet
folks so bad that they banned scoped pistols. I only had the one .22 pistol at that time, so
I quit fiddling with it. Have about 1/3 of a brick or more held back for some special occasion.
It will do 5/8" at 25 yds from the bags any day I do my part. It is a 6" Std Mk1, not a target
model and I have owned for 44 years.

Impressive little pistols, and you did some fine shooting there, too.

Bill

buck1
05-18-2011, 12:45 AM
I have had very good luck in mine with win Dynapoints. I didnt get a ruler but pinto bean sized groups at 20 yds. when I did my part. Iron sights and aging eyes make it more and more of a challange.

jh45gun
05-18-2011, 01:23 AM
MKII Rugers are one of the few Rugers I never found any fault with they are good guns I had a MK1 that was inaccurate but the couple of MK IIs I had were accurate and well made guns. These days I own a S&W 22A which I prefer, but nothing wrong with the Rugers by any means. Good 22 pistols.

44man
05-18-2011, 08:50 AM
I go to a few other sites and am amazed at how many have trouble taking the Ruger apart and getting it back together. 30 seconds each way is a long time. I am forever amazed at the engineering put into this gun. It becomes an old friend fast.
To think it was designed and made the year I was born is astounding! [smilie=l: It is the 1911 of .22's.

Char-Gar
05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
There are a couple of tricks to getting a Mark II apart and put back together. Unless the trigger is pulled and the hammer is in the full fired position, there is not way to get the mainspring housing back in. Some folks have crammed it in and tied the pistol up. Some has asked for my help. The only fix, I know of is to remove the grips and knock out the sear pin and that floats the parts and gives enough slack to get it apart.

Once you learn where the hammer and hammer strut needs to be in order to take it down and put it back together, it is easy. But until you do, it can be difficult.

44man
05-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Back when I had eyes, I won Ohio state IHMSA with my brand new Mark II that had no sight settings. I missed the first pig, turkey and ram but my spotter seen the hits. I shot 57 out of 60 and cleaned the 5, 25 yard shoot off chickens at 100 yards with open sights from Creedmore.
You will not believe the ammo I was using! WW Wildcat's. They were just super but went to pot just like most .22's did. Ammo quality is the worst thing to happen to us.
It is sad that real good ammo costs so much today when run of the mill stuff shot so good long ago.
I had a Marlin Mounty long ago that would do 3/4" at 100 yards with WW high velocity HP's. Today, a slingshot is better! :roll:
Remington had a super accurate round but changed the boolit for production speed. I will never buy any Remington to this day.

subsonic
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I love my MKII too! It's a blued 5.5" heavy bbl target.

Bought it when I turned 21 (instead of a night of drinking like most).

I cannot even begin to tell you how many bricks of ammo it has eaten. Latley I've been running Remington Golden bullets through it 525 at a time. I get a lot of duds per box (free malfunction drilss?), but it's cheap, accurate enough, relatively clean, and runs better than the Federal bulk that jams in this gun. I have 5 mags so it's easy to load a box - shoot a box - load a box. I took all of the overtravel out of the trigger. And actually polished and sanded some parts to "loosen it up" so I can get it together and back apart without a big mallet! It shoots about like 44man's when I stick my 2.5-8x Leupy on it and feed it good ammo. With iron sights things change and I can't quite pull that off. My 25yd groups look like his 50yd w/o the scope.

I can't count the number of newbies I've taught to shoot a pistol using this gun nor can I count the number of people I've proven wrong about handgun accuracy and even effective range with this little plinker. There is a steel gong that is about 6" that hangs @ 50yds on the handgun/rimfire range. Dinging that thing is no problem on command. I'm surprised if I miss. A 14" 100yd gong is in trouble too, both fired upon from a weaver stance. The only trick to the 100yd gong is that I have to hold the front sight "covering" it and look "through" the front sight with both eyes open to get the elevation right.

I have 3 other friends who, after shooting mine, ran right out and bought Mk1 or MkIIs within a week. I suggest staying away from the MKIII unless that's all you can find..... the beautiful trigger feel is now only mediocre.

brimic2
05-18-2011, 06:00 PM
The MKII can be a bit tricky putting back together the first few times. Once you figure out the angle of the dangle, its not so hard.

Doc Highwall
05-18-2011, 09:16 PM
44man, I shot a lot of the Winchester Wildcats, they were dirty but they were accurate out of my rifle.

Matthew 25
05-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Subsonic, my Mk II has taught many people to shoot as well. It does nothing but build confidence in a new shooter. It's not uncommon for someone who has never shot it to do better with the Ruger than they do with their own handguns.

44man
05-19-2011, 07:53 AM
44man, I shot a lot of the Winchester Wildcats, they were dirty but they were accurate out of my rifle.
I still have a bunch of boxes left over from the early 80's and they still shoot good. I sorted them with a head space gauge.
The last ones I bought just were not up to snuff.
Today I like the Mini Mags because even if not perfect accuracy, they never have any funny shots or failures.
My friend always buys WW bulk and after they finish shooting, there will be a pile of unfired shells on the ground. :groner:
They will fire if put back in the gun in another direction, that shows the priming mixture is not spun in evenly. They turn up loading machines to warp speed! :holysheep
Remington had a super accurate round long ago but they changed the bullet.
Most .22 semi auto pistols are very accurate but sadly, the ammo is not any longer.
Still, there is nothing more fun then a .22.
If you want to have fun, put up a steel chicken at 200 yards with a target 53" above it to aim at.

NoZombies
05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
44 Man... If you decide to venture back into remington waters, their "auto-match" ammo is pretty good in everything I've run it in. It comes bulk in 325 packs, and runs about $15 a pack locally. It's the only bulk-pack .22 ammo I feed most of my guns these days, it doesn't lead to the frustrations that other bulk ammo does.

44man
05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
44 Man... If you decide to venture back into remington waters, their "auto-match" ammo is pretty good in everything I've run it in. It comes bulk in 325 packs, and runs about $15 a pack locally. It's the only bulk-pack .22 ammo I feed most of my guns these days, it doesn't lead to the frustrations that other bulk ammo does.
I will look for it, thanks.
Prices have gone crazy. Not long ago 550 rounds of Fed were $8 and they are now $18 at Wall Mart.

subsonic
05-22-2011, 10:31 AM

I have some Federal Auto Match I need to wring out. Are you sure that's not what you are talking about? Shot pretty good in my rifle, but is not "match" level accurate like Wolf Match Target is - but it works the action.

ebner glocken
05-27-2011, 05:25 PM
I have some Federal Auto Match I need to wring out. Are you sure that's not what you are talking about? Shot pretty good in my rifle, but is not "match" level accurate like Wolf Match Target is - but it works the action.

Federal Auto Match is probably what I shoot more than anything anymore. Better ammo out there but you'll pay alot more for it. A misfire every now and then but there's worse out there. It gets shot through a 41 S&W and various ruger autos.

Ebner

atr
05-27-2011, 05:59 PM
still trying to hit the target with iron sights on my pistols.....I figure if I can hit a 9" pie plate off hand consistanly at 50 yds Im doing good and Im happy.
got to love that ruger MKII...one of the best made

good shooting
art