PDA

View Full Version : Looking for data

oldreloader
05-15-2011, 01:43 PM
I've been reloading since the late 1960's and am just starting to load cast. I am looking at this boolit http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/9mm_125grain_FP/p132676_514602.aspx but am having trouble findin data specifically for it. Does anyone have data for it? My main concern is col. What is a good source for cast data?

doubs43
05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 is an excellent source for data. That specific boolit may not be listed but something close should be. Looking at the design, I'd say that it will give some pistols trouble WRT feeding reliably. Chamber dimensions may also limit COAL.

Larry Gibson
05-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I would use 4 gr of Bullseye with that bullet. Remove the barrel from your pistol and let it tell you the OAL. Seat the bullet deep enough so that when in the chamber the case is flush or slightly below the hood of the barrel. When the bullet is seated so it chambers then double check the loaded round to see it fits in the magazine. Then load 5 dummy cartridges and assemble the pistol, load them into the magazine and do a function check for correct and reliable feeding.

Larry Gibson

RalphP
05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I was asking my self the same thing on Thursday when I started to load some 9MM. I am using my own cast 124gr that looks close to what you are looking at however it may be a bit longer. When I moved the boolit farther out on three different test fires, they all fit in the mag and they all fired with out issue.

There are a few times when several of us get together to shoot. I didn't want to have a "one gun only" round that would only fit in mine and not the others. (That happend to me on some .40 loads that a friend had they would not work in mine, they were to long). The new Amereican Eagle 115 gr FMJ I have measured 1.152-1.154. This is what I stuck with TL-356-124-TC Lee boolit at a OAL lenght of 1.070. These are loaded with 4.9 gr of Unique, starting is 5.3 gr, shot well in my S&W 5906 with no issues during rapid fire.

As I found out there are many different lenghts and a few thou will make a difference. Follow Larry's advice to give you a better performing round than the way I have loaded mine.
RalphP