PDA

View Full Version : Ruger No 1

gew98
05-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I've had a Ruger No1 one for 12-13 years now in 45/70. I love it but don't like it's carbine length barrel and shallow throat. Is there an aftermarket over 24" barrel out there made in 45/70 that can be fitted to the No1 without a load of custommachining ?. I'd sure like to make this a long range pill squirter ( 500 grainers ).
I shoot my 95 Marlin GG often with 500 grain RN pills and it is fairly accurate with them to 100 yards. I must admit though I like to load it hot and relish the recoil ( yeah I know I'm sick ).
In the past two years I've asked a couple smiths about this project and they all come off with way over $500 projected cost. Maybe I'm just being cheap ?.

John Taylor
05-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I could probably do one up for $350 in the white, a little more if you want octagon. I did my old #3 with a 28" octagon, looks great.

redneckdan
05-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Last I looked at david white's web site he was quoting about $450 for a ruger single shot rebarrel.

Gunlaker
05-15-2011, 02:54 PM
You could always have it throated. That won't cost much. I did that to mine shortly after purchasing it. It'll handle any of the longer bullets now. As a matter of fact I was shooting Hornady 500gr FMJ bullets out of it this morning.

Chris.

gew98
05-15-2011, 05:25 PM
JT ; I'm gonna have to get up with you on this. I really don't like the short barrel and style of rifling in the No1 I have...so throating it to me is out of the question... plus the factory Iron sights ruger puts on their rifles are a joke. Nice long barrel , nice replacement sights and I'm in like flint !. Just gotta scrape up some coin...as always.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Just a different take on the subject, and of course to each his own.

However, I love the 22" barrel on my 45/70 #1!!!!!!!!!

Light and fast in the woods and great for an Ol'Coot to carry!

As per the iron sights, I shot my 45/70 with the iron sights before mounting the scope, and found it to be, in a word, PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even thought about a set of the peep sights which mount to the scope rail. NOT!!!!!!!!! after shooting the rifle with irons. Not much into pain.

The head position was just too low.

But a scope was in the plans before the buy, and the higher head position takes the pain out of the situation.

Throating the barrel out to whatever you desire is no big thing.

Anyway, love the 22" barrel!!!!!!!!!!! and have ZERO want/desire for anything longer to add weight or mess up the balance of a great rifle.

As said, to each his own.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Gunlaker
05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I must admit I'd prefer the rifle to be about 2lbs heavier to soak up some more recoil :-P

Chris.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-16-2011, 01:14 PM
I found the recoil to be a non-issue -- with scope in place -- with 355gr boolits in the 2300 - 2500fps range.

I of course put a good recoil pad in place before ever shooting the rifle, and have the shot filled shoulder bag the wife made me for use on the bench.

Now ---------------------- about 3 weeks back, I rec'd a great new mold from BRP Products, LLC - Bruce, in his .462-465gr size.

Expect my velocity to be a bit lower with this bigger boolit, but recoil --???????? We will see about that.

A friend, sadly gone by Christmas from a brain cancer found last Aug., loaded up the butt of his .338 with lead and just flat distroyed the balance of the rifle.

I won't even think about going there! This #1 just handles toooooo nicely to mess it up in some way. :bigsmyl2:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

gew98
05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Well ; When I get to doing this barrel swap I'll make sure I put my short 45/70 barrel w/scope rings up on the block here for some project minded fella...not like there is any here now huh....

Matthew 25
05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
gew98, my stock No1 in 45-70 will shoot clover leaves at 100y with 500 grain bullets-with the horrible Ruger sights. In my infinite wisdom I took those sights off (cuz I didn't like them) and put a ladder sight on. Should have stayed with stock, I'll likely go back. I recently was entertaining the idea of putting on a Leopold and having a reticle designed for a big fat slow 500g calibrated to 500y. Well then I got side-tracked.
I suppose my point is don't dismiss the potential of that stock barrel.