PDA

View Full Version : Where to find "Beagling" tape

Kermit2
05-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Where can I find aluminum tape suitable for "Beagling" a mould? I live in a rural area and the only aluminun tape I can find locally is made by Shurtape (AF912) and is supposedly 1.5 mm thick. I'm not sure if that's the actual thickness after any backing, etc. has been removed or not. Information will be appreciated. Thanks!

btroj
05-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I think that would work perfectly. Best way to k ow for sure is give it a shot.

If you can't find anything else let me know and I will send you some of what I use. I use an adhesive backed copper foil that is for stained glass work. Nice 3/16" wide roll. Easy to cut, works like a charm.

Brad

sundog
05-15-2011, 09:33 AM
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273881

Kraschenbirn
05-15-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273881

[smilie=s: Gotta laugh, just sent the same info by PM to another board member last night as a spin-off from the thread on the Lee 429-210-RF boolit.

Btw: Including the adhesive coating, my roll of Ace Flue tape mikes at just over .003" thick.

Bill

longbow
05-15-2011, 11:07 AM
If you can't find or get the correct "Beagling" tape you can use aluminum foil and silicone blue.

I wanted to Beagle a mould and was in the same situation so decided to try cooking foil and silicone blue automotive sealer. A thin smear of silicone blue then a layer of foil repeated two more times gave me about 0.003". I put on all three layers (strips on both sides of the cavities) then pressed the mould blocks together. It worked just fine and peels off easy when you are done too.

Just another option.

Longbow

Whistler
05-19-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm not sure I understand beagling. Will it not just give a bullet that is oval until sized? When sized I would think it will be the same size as with the mold before beagling.

btroj
05-19-2011, 08:05 AM
No, it doesn't seem to make the bullet oval. It will come out of the sizer one of two sizes, that of the mould if smaller than the sizer or the size of the sizer if larger out of the mould.
In the end the barrel will finish rounding things out. I know this seems like a strange way to make bullets bigger but it works very well.

05-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Whistler,
Beagling works. I have beagled as much as .004" over stock mould size.

ColColt
05-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm a noob at beagling but it definitely works. I have an old Lyman 429421 mold that throws too small a boolit(.429-.430") for my 44 throats which are .432". I had some left over aluminum tape the AC guys left behind when I had a new heat/ac system put in last summer and it mics at .004".A week or so back I cast about 200 or so in BHN15 and they came out .435"...just what the doctor ordered and should work well with my new .432" size die.

prickett
05-19-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure I understand beagling. Will it not just give a bullet that is oval until sized? When sized I would think it will be the same size as with the mold before beagling.

The boolits will be out of round. When I size mine you can see two sides were sized and two were not (as much). This doesn't seem to affect accuracy though.

When sizing, your sizing die also needs to be oversized. I beagle my 9mm die ( .356 + .003 due to the tape). I then size using a .358 sizing die.