PDA

View Full Version : Been doing things all wrong

44man
05-15-2011, 08:29 AM
I figured you would get a kick of what I have learned. :drinks:
I keep getting gun rags I never ordered and have been going through them in my favorite place to read. [smilie=1: Rather a big bore, really.
I always start with the revolver stuff, then just look at pictures over and over because there is no substance, just million dollar photography.
I learned the new way is to shoot 5 or 6 shots at 20 yards and only measure the 3 to 4 best shots then record those only for group size! 8-)
Boy, have I been doing it wrong, those big guns like the .44 to .500's really shine at 20 yards if the best shots are measured and the rest ignored. It makes me want to buy them all.
Help me out guys, what should I do? :bigsmyl2:

Trey45
05-15-2011, 08:36 AM
The best way to get small group sizes is to shoot one shot groups. EVERY group will be sub MOA, even a keyhole!

btroj
05-15-2011, 08:40 AM
5 or 6? I just shoot 20 or so then cut the target so the ones outside what I want no longer exist!

Why not, creativity should be worth something too!

Don't read too long or you'll get piles!

Brad

subsonic
05-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Marketing. Ain't it great?

FWIW, Taffin likes the BFRs... :Fire:

Ziptar
05-15-2011, 10:20 AM
HAHAHAHA!!!!

It seems as thought the social notions that "everyone" is a winner or a special snowflake have finally made it into the main stream gun rags.

No one fails anymore.

For years now teachers have been urged to stop grading students work with red pens because its too "stressful". (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7374218/ns/us_news-education/t/parents-teachers-no-more-red-pencils/)

Wall Street and the Financial Industry is "too big to fail".

Last year at my daughters elementary school "field day" they handed out ribbons for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. Everyone else got a "Participation Award"
http://www.funservicesinc.com/catalog/images/Participation_Award_Ribbon.jpg

It was hysterical to see kinds running around with a dozen or so pinned to their shirts, one for every event.

Now when you go to the range accuracy is measured by the number of shots that "don't count".

What's next? Bumpers on the range like they have at kiddie bowling so they can't get gutter balls? The USMC Marksmanship Qualification Badge award criteria is changed so that a bell curve is used?

How about this?
The example below is to scale. The official targets when printed are 10' x 10'

http://www.ziptar.com/images/NRA_EZ1.jpg

44man
05-15-2011, 10:33 AM
5 or 6? I just shoot 20 or so then cut the target so the ones outside what I want no longer exist!

Why not, creativity should be worth something too!

Don't read too long or you'll get piles!

Brad
HE, HE, that is why gun books are there. Only takes 5 minutes to finish one! :mrgreen:

Three44s
05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
The day you stop learning is the day you die but at 20 yds ........... I ain't learning much either .....

My advice: Keep doing it YOUR WAY!

I have never been much of a snowflake person ........ too "Comrade" like for my taste.

I once had a bench rest shooter visit me on the ranch. I had been fighting a Rem 788 for a while in .22-250 as it wanted to run a good 4 shots and then post a fifth as a flyer. I had gathered up a whole array of tools that are common place today to get my cases more uniform and I can't recall which treatment he did not do but it surprised me. To fortify my arguements I began dragging out my target file on that rifle .........

............ his first surprise was that I kept the "bad" targets ........ he only kept his GOOD targets ..... I was puzzled ............ and told him ........ I learn more from my mistakes than from the good ones .... then I hauled out the paydirt targets.

I get a phone call from him and he's thanking me for leading him to some more casing prep tools. ME a country bumpkin teaching a bench rester something ......... I shook my head!!

With our handguns it's a different story: The main obstacle is hard headedness!

People lump (all) handguns into a category of being short range ........ little do they know .........

Three 44s

subsonic
05-15-2011, 11:11 AM
How about this?
The example below is to scale. The official targets when printed are 10' x 10'

http://www.ziptar.com/images/NRA_EZ1.jpg

Unfortunately, I see a lot of folks at the range that would not manage to place with THAT target and @ 7yds!

Frank
05-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Who looks at magazines anymore? :coffeecom

Doc Highwall
05-15-2011, 12:09 PM
I can shoot a real small one right here at my key board.
I don't have a camera otherwise I would post a picture , but it measured .00001" for five shots. I will have to see if I can borrow my neighbors cell phone to take a picture of it and post it.:kidding:kidding:

Thumbcocker
05-15-2011, 07:40 PM
At last my time has come. All the monitoring posts and threads wishing I had something to contribute and feeling inadaquet. Now I have something to offer. For a nomianl fee payable in cash, primers or wheel weight ingots I am willing to teach those of you on this forum who post pictures of boolit holes in tight little clustes how to shoot just like them magazine fellers.

Here at Thumbcocker's shooting academy in just a few short weeks I can have you spreading your shots all around the target, the berm and maybe if you study real hard all over the countryside. Yep you all have the potential to shoot just like Ole Thumbcocker. Classes include Hearing protection is for wimps. Front sight! We don't need no stinking front sights there aint no point in puttin sights on a psitol anyway. Flinch is just part of it. Pstiols ain't no count past 15 yards anyhow.

Breakout groups will focus on whipping the barel at the target just like Ole Roy

Range estimation. Shells is all the same anyway so buy whats on sale.

Yes after you complete my course, if you work really hard, you will be able to scatter shots all over the place just like me.

The course will more than pay for itself. No neeed to slug bores, size boolits, measure cylinder throats or any of that boring stuff. And here is the real deal. You will be able to create shot dispersion (sorry for the tech jargon) with handguns of any make or model. The most expensive custom guns won't intimidate you a whit. You will be able to make them perform just the same as the most pitiful junker. How's that for a deal?

One disclaimer. Some of you die hards that are compleately set in your ways are probably beyond home and will continue to put your boolits in itty bity groups tha cause all them scoring problems. It's ok. Not everybody can shoot like Ole Thumbcocker.

Sessions are filling up fast so hurry.

canyon-ghost
05-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Thumbcocker, you're alright! lol.
Ron

44man
05-15-2011, 08:00 PM
That made my day for sure. I think Thumbcocker should write stories! 8-)

bearcove
05-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Read something the other day. Fellow was proud of his rifle it shot 1/2moa with federal ammo and 3/4moa with some other. And those were TWO shot groups, It does even better with just one.

Whitworth
05-16-2011, 09:03 AM
At last my time has come. All the monitoring posts and threads wishing I had something to contribute and feeling inadaquet. Now I have something to offer. For a nomianl fee payable in cash, primers or wheel weight ingots I am willing to teach those of you on this forum who post pictures of boolit holes in tight little clustes how to shoot just like them magazine fellers.

Here at Thumbcocker's shooting academy in just a few short weeks I can have you spreading your shots all around the target, the berm and maybe if you study real hard all over the countryside. Yep you all have the potential to shoot just like Ole Thumbcocker. Classes include Hearing protection is for wimps. Front sight! We don't need no stinking front sights there aint no point in puttin sights on a psitol anyway. Flinch is just part of it. Pstiols ain't no count past 15 yards anyhow.

Breakout groups will focus on whipping the barel at the target just like Ole Roy

Range estimation. Shells is all the same anyway so buy whats on sale.

Yes after you complete my course, if you work really hard, you will be able to scatter shots all over the place just like me.

The course will more than pay for itself. No neeed to slug bores, size boolits, measure cylinder throats or any of that boring stuff. And here is the real deal. You will be able to create shot dispersion (sorry for the tech jargon) with handguns of any make or model. The most expensive custom guns won't intimidate you a whit. You will be able to make them perform just the same as the most pitiful junker. How's that for a deal?

One disclaimer. Some of you die hards that are compleately set in your ways are probably beyond home and will continue to put your boolits in itty bity groups tha cause all them scoring problems. It's ok. Not everybody can shoot like Ole Thumbcocker.

Sessions are filling up fast so hurry.

Sign me up!

Whitworth
05-16-2011, 09:04 AM
The best way to get small group sizes is to shoot one shot groups. EVERY group will be sub MOA, even a keyhole!

Why didn't I think of that?? :mrgreen:

bobthenailer
05-16-2011, 09:55 AM
At my local club that has a indoor 50 ' range that shoots the NRA 50' national match course with 22 and at times 45 , on tuesday night , That ive been shooting at since 1974 . over the past 10 years to try and keep intrest up , mostley for newer & older shooters , we let them use 2 hands instead of 1 to hold the gun, and as long as the bullet hits the paper ! forget the scoring rings , it scores 1 point lower than the next lower scoring ring .
Im 63 now and ive been shooting in the high master class for 18 years but after this league i may slip down to master class it now takes me 2 hands to hold the gun steady enough on slow fire to get in the 95 + points out of 100 possible points on slow fire, that i used to be able to get with one hand! I now can only shoot the low 90s and high 80s on slow fire useing one hand. i still can usually get 97 to 100 points on timed & rapid with one hand though.
Another member told me about another club he shot the NRA 50 ' nm course at that they used the 25 yard slow & timed & rapid at 50 '

9.3X62AL
05-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Here we have FINAL CONFIRMATION that at least one gun journalist is nothing more than a pimp and panderer for a manufacturing segment that is producing worse and worse products. As if we needed further evidence of same.

Doc Highwall
05-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Maybe the writer spent too much time playing video games like World at War instead of shooting at paper targets that do not lie.

PacMan
05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey i might start using that method to measure my grops. Then i can be a better shot and the gun more accurate.Looks like a win win situation for me.
Dwight

fecmech
05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Bob-- I feel your pain on the one handed stuff, I've got the old man"tremors" one handed myself. We have kind of an informal Bullseye league and the fellow that runs it always shoots at the first position next to the wall. I thought that was so he didn't have to chase his brass but that's not the case, it's so he can rest his arm on his shooting box! If you get to the range early and get that first position maybe you could get your one hand score back up!

bobthenailer
05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
thanks for the shooting tip ! but i would have to change my whole set up as ive been shooting with my right hand and my shooting box to my left ! I would have to use my left hand to shoot the gun to rest it on the box you dont want to change to many things at once.

I guess in a few years i may have to use 2 hands if i fall out of master class and end up where i started in expert class when i started in 1975 or possible a even lower class talk about full circle! but im fighten it ! i guess if your on top of the grass and can still enjoy shooting you got it made !
I often dreamed of a 30 shot target gun that i could mount in my pistol box and have it shoot by remote control and have the sighting work in unisin with my spotting scope . or now possibley a lazer. they might catch on when every 10 shot group would be a ragged hole , i thought of adding some kind of anti stablizer to open up the groups a bit, but never worked it out.

44man
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
The secret is to never stop breathing until the last millisecond. Never try to hold your breath for 30 seconds while aiming.
Yet that does not help us old codgers much when we can't get a spoonful of cornflakes in the right place or spill coffee on the way to the lips! :mrgreen:
Guns get real fun to hold still. I NEED sandbags! :drinks: I still beat Whitworth from them because I never stop breathing but I think my heart is so old it just stops until the gun goes off. :Fire:
Whitworth has tried to order a casket while I aim. [smilie=s:

cbrick
05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I learned the new way is to shoot 5 or 6 shots at 20 yards and only measure the 3 to 4 best shots then record those only for group size! 8-)

I quit reading the gun rags years ago, can there be any doubt why?

Even Handloader is not nearly what it used to be.

Rick

44man
05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
True my friend! But I get these free and have not figured out why.
They are throne items to pass the time! [smilie=l: It helps to laugh instead of grunting! :holysheep

bearcove
05-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Its like the Cabelas catalog, They all just want your money so they are a'selling. Never a negative comment might offend a sponsor.

If the paper wasn't so shiny it would really be useful!

timkelley
05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I still enjoy the articles about new stuff in the rags, I just take care to NOT BELIEVE them.

Thumbcocker, you need to send some of your writing to those Gun Rags, you are funny.

NoZombies
05-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Bobthenailer:

When I was doing serious one handed bullseye work, I would hold a 4# weight at arms length for a timed period regularly. 2 days prior to competition, I would hold the weight several times, and for periods of 10 minutes or more. Nothing the day prior. When in competition, I could feel the difference it made in steadiness.

bobthenailer
05-25-2011, 10:01 AM
In the past i never had to do any exercises ! but that was then ! at times i use a 5 lb weight to strenghten my arm to possibley slow down the shakes but i only do it for a day or 2 and then forget to do it until im going shooting the next week. perhaps i need to do some memory exercise also ?