PDA

View Full Version : Turnbull or USFA 45 for graduation present

bcr
05-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Well, it took me nearly eight years to finish my PhD, and now I've done it and I want a swell graduation present for myself. It's going to be a peacemaker clone in .45 LC with a 4.75" barrel.

I was planning on a USFA premium, which by all accounts is a great gun, but I see that Doug Turnbull is running a special on their production gun that looks kind of nice. Does anyone have any experience with a Turnbull production gun?

Thoughts or advice?

Dale53
05-15-2011, 12:21 AM
If you want to really shoot the revolver, particularly with a variety of loads, then I suggest an adjustable sighted revolver in your caliber of choice. I have a like new USFA .45 Colt (7½" barrel) that doesn't shoot to the sights. Further, the fixed sights are a copy of the First Generation Colt SAA (which is to say, near useless). The USFA seems made VERY well, finished nicely, excellent trigger but isn't terribly useful since it doesn't shoot to the point of aim (way off, not just a little).

On the other hand, my Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible has adjustable sights, is extremely well made and will easily adjust to POA for a variety of bullet weights in both cylinders. The Ruger DID require reaming the cylinders and a trigger job. However, after that was done, I have a revolver that shoots like a match gun, is a beauty to look at and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Further, it will easily handle heavy hunting loads with ease.

That's why all but one of my recent single action purchases have been Rugers.

Just a thought...

Dale53

ktw
05-15-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't know what the price difference is between the two, but I think you'll be happy with either one.

My USFA SAA didn't shoot to point of aim either. USFA asked me to send it back with a target shot with a load of my choice and they fixed it right up. I'm a satisfied customer.

I agree with Dale that you'd be well served with a good quality, adjustable sighted single action shooter. But I also enjoy the fixed sighted guns. I think they look better and are every bit as enjoyable at the range, when they shoot to the sights.

-ktw

Dale53
05-15-2011, 01:00 AM
ktw;

>>>are every bit as enjoyable at the range, when they shoot to the sights.>>>

It is hard to disagree with logic. I have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt that right out of the box shoots to POA at 25 yards. I used it in a number of Black Powder Cartridge pistol matches (both silhouette and score matches) and won more than my share using the Lyman 452664 bullet, lubed with Emmert's home mix lube (alloy was 30/1 lead/tin). However, the Ruger has excellent fixed sights. I believe you can order the USFA with either the 1st Generation Colt SAA sights or a MUCH better sight choice. I bought mine used (LNIB) and frankly, made a mistake. USFA wasn't interested in helping me. Maybe I'll have an S&W rear sight (adjustable) installed on mine. At least it would be useful.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

ktw
05-15-2011, 01:31 AM
I've always thought the dovetailed front sight, as offered by Bowen, was an elegant solution to the problem of regulating the sights on an otherwise fixed sighted revolver, but so far I haven't owned one that needed it. I'm usually happy with one good load per gun.

-ktw

harvester
05-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Colt still makes guns.

bcr
05-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the input. I will definitely look into the sight situation.

For serious shooting I would certainly go with a Ruger; I have several already, but in this case I want an SAA which is something I've wanted since I was just a little tyke. I'm sure I'll shoot it plenty, but it won't be for hunting or competition.

Dan Cash
05-15-2011, 09:53 AM
bcr,
I have a USFA 5 1/2 .45 Colt. It has prooven very satisfactory in all respects except that the front sight is too wide relative to the rear notch FOR MY EYES. That is a problem I have resolved but to be certain, it shoots to point of aim if I control the point of aim. It is my constant companion in the field unless I am hunting in serious bear country when it is replaced with a Smith 57. You will be pleased with either revolver, I am sure.

August
05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Turnbull gun is a USFA SA.

USFA gun is a Turnbull finish job.

Two, two, two guns in one.

Doug Turnbull does all the Case Hardening for USFA and USFA provides guns to Turnbull for his limited production.

lbaize3
05-15-2011, 03:15 PM
bcr

You have wanted this fine revolver all of your life....GET IT!
And get the best you can afford. Heck you have earned it. Not everyone has a PHD. And while many others can say they have a top of the line USFA.... how many can say they have a limited edition Turnbull...

Go for it...

exile
05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Congratulations!

exile