PDA

View Full Version : How long should a Lee mold last

corvette8n
12-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Assuming I don't do anything stupid, how many rounds can I expect to cast from a Lee alum. 1 holer mold before I wear it out. I am wondering if I should buy extras of my favorite molds.

sundog
12-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Properly cared for and used, a Lee SC should last more than your lifetime. I have had a 38 WC since early 70s and it's still going. I even abused it some. sundog

Ranch Dog
12-23-2006, 10:48 AM
I've got several thousand boolits out of my molds and they seem to be in great shape. I clean and lube them before I put them up and start fresh as if they were new at each casting. I understand that Lee dropped the single cavity molds for 2007 but they are all available as double cavity molds now.

grouch
12-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I get 10yrs+ of very frequent use out of single cavity lee molds. I,ve worn out several, they do wear faster than Lyman, Saeco, CBE or NEI, but given the price, I'm not complaining. My luck with their double cavity molds(C311113) has been a lot worse. My first of those only lasted a yr or so, and I didn't use it much.

Jon K
12-23-2006, 01:54 PM
vette8n,

Let me ask, what is it and how often do you shoot it?

If it is something you shoot all the time, and it is not a 500 or so BP boolit, then I would say it will last until you get tired of dropping them 1 at a time, and move up to a 2,4, or 6 cavity. Just imagine the time savings and production. That equates into more trigger time.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

:castmine: :Fire:

kenjuudo
12-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I have half a dozen that date from the seventies.

jim

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2006, 03:28 PM
you guys have better luck with them then i do. I probably will get a couple thousand bullets out of a 2 cavity before chucking them. I dont bother with the lube or much care on the 2 cavity ones though. There cheap enough that if i like the bullet i run it till it drops and then get a 6 cavity. There alot better anyway.