PDA

View Full Version : REM M81 magazine problem

roysha
05-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm working on a REM M-81 chambered for 300 Savage. The problem is that the magazine follower is popping out of the box at the back end after the last shot is fired and the bolt is locked back. The follower seems to be correct according to the pictures I have seen. However, it appears that the back of the box has been messed with for some reason because each side of the raised portion of the rear of the box looks to have been ground/filed. I do not have anything to reference this area to so I was wondering if anyone had any idea/ideas as to how I could determine if indeed this is out of spec.
I've had this gun apart several times checking everything I could think of and this is the only area that looks questionable.
Unfortunately, in all the years I have worked on guns, this is only the third rifle of this model that has come across my bench. They just never were much of a factor in NOCO.

GuzziRider
05-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Roysha,
I have an 81 in 300 Savage as well. I was having trouble with feeding and the mag floor plate kept poping out but only after the mag box was removed from the gun. Turned out the mag spring was in backwards. Turned it around and all was well. Although it sounds as if your problem is something diffrent. Maybe some pictures would help, one could see if there is any major diffrence in the one you are working with and one thats functional. Its a place to start anyway.

firefly1957
05-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I have a model 81 in 300 savage but it has been altered to accept magazines. I would look for a broken or bent part that should keep follower in place.
I will say that my gun is very accurate I have shot 1" hundred yard groups with factory 150 gr Remington ammo.

Fishman
05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
roysa, I have an 81 in 300 savage as well. The magazine on it works fine. If you need something measured or a pic of something just send me a pm.